INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Gessler

Country flag
I have a question on the fugly orange furniture of insas. If the army can throw so many tantrums on the Arjun MBT and refuse to induct it, why didn't they do the same on the bloody disgusting orange colour of insas. Which guarantees that ur soldier is a sitting duck when camouflaged. Why didn't they demand that it be changed to some other colour umm...like i Don't know like BLACK for fucks sake ? Every time I see that orange colour my blood boils at all the fking mod, ofb and the army ppl responsible for inducting this rifle !
Agreed - the 1A INSAS had a ridiculous color scheme. Worst part is that the wooden furniture on the older production versions (before the black polymer caught on in 1B onward) actually does not seem to be wood in its natural state (like on older AKs) - it has definitely been painted over.

Unfortunately, someone either in OFB or MoD/IA (the Acquisitions dept is particularly suspect) must have, in their all-knowing wisdom, decided to paint it in a stupid, high-visibility orange...for whatever reason.

I won't be surprised if the intention was something along the lines of the INSAS being able to imbibe the spirit of the Kalashnikov and provide an equal level of soldier-proof reliability if only its handguard, stock & grip were to be painted in orange in an attempt to resemble the AK of old. :laugh:

I'm not a fan of the MoD's Acquisitions department at all. Their latest transgression was going to Russia and, despite seeing the latest & greatest in Kalashnikov Concern's rifle line-up such as the AK-15, deciding that the AK-103 was the rifle they wanted to buy...the plain-jane AK-103, with no rails, no adjustable stock, no nothing.

It was only thanks to the Kalashnikov director, who suggested that we ought to buy the AK-203 (103M) instead, that we're at least getting what we're getting:

They are old rifles apparently some soldiers liked its woody feel.
Painted over, it doesn't seem like the older INSAS retains much of a wooden texture in its furniture anyway. But it's actually a travesty that whoever was in charge decided on wooden handguards & stocks for a mass-produced service rifle in the 90s!

WolfPack86

Country flag
Is Indian army still testing and conducting trials of ofb new 7.62 x 52 mm assault rifle.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
OFB should be shut down or handed over to pvt industry

WolfPack86

Country flag
20,000 Excalibur Rifles has already been supplied by Rifle factory Ishapore.

These indigenous 5.56 ×45 mm Excalibur rifles have been supplied to various police forces across India.

Various Central Armed Police Forces & State Police forces have also placed orders for 5000 units of the OFB 7.62x39 mm Ghaatak rifle, with 1200+ units delivered.

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
why we dont use belt fed LMGs is there a particulate reason . We have always used magazine fed LMGs
Who said we are not using belt felt lmgs. The name lmg specifically defines belt fed guns.
Title of this thread itself contains name lmg. Do not post broken up questions here.

Plz read this thread from the beginning, we have discussed everything to death in the past.

ram singh तोपची

Country flag
could you name some which is used in regular infantry units in large scale one thing more i am not talking about MMG . Here reference to LMG and MMG is in terms of indian army and i am not asking these question to piss people off , it ts out of curiosity

Gessler

Country flag
why we dont use belt fed LMGs is there a particulate reason . We have always used magazine fed LMGs
As of now, only SFs use belt-fed MGs. The regular Army's LMG is based on the INSAS rifle, hence magazine-fed. Other than commonality, and the fact that 30-round magazines are lighter to carry than 100-round boxes, there isn't any other reason why we'd rather not have a belt-fed LMG.

However, this practice is going to end in the foreseeable future. The Army's new RFIs calling for 7.62 NATO LMGs all constitute of exclusively belt-fed models.

Who said we are not using belt felt lmgs. The name lmg specifically defines belt fed guns.
Title of this thread itself contains name lmg. Do not post broken up questions here.

Plz read this thread from the beginning, we have discussed everything to death in the past.
There is no prerequisite that 'LMG' has to be belt-fed.

The standard-issue LMGs of the Indian, Chinese & Russian armies, and recently the US Marines & British Army are all magazine-fed models, just like assault rifles are. Their difference with regular rifles lies mostly in them having heavier barrels optimized for sustained fire roles, and usually fitted with a bipod.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles