INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Country flag
well that explains it pretty well but one disadvantage that i see with INSAS LMG is you can not change barrel like you do in Bren LMG and its barrel is heaver then INSAS LMG in general

MuzzleVelocity

Is the Excalibur configured for full auto? Or is it limited to a three round burst like the INSAS?

Kchontha

Country flag
Is the Excalibur configured for full auto? Or is it limited to a three round burst like the INSAS?
Differences between INSAS and Excalibur:
* Having an automatic fire mode
* Having a shorter handguard
* Having a foldable butt-stock
* Having a Picatinny rail, a universal mount that allows for a range of weapon sights and other attachments like foregrip, laser designator, or flashlight.
Copy pasted from Wikipedia.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Gessler

Country flag
Anyone else glad the Sten, INSAS, Bren , Insas LMG, FN Mag 50, SVDs, PKMS, and old AKs are being replaced?

The troops have been making due with old and substandard weapons for far too long. Thankfully the Modi government actually cares enough to do something about it.
There is no telling how glad I am that the small arms department, historically one of the most neglected parts of the IA arsenal, is receiving a much-needed upgrade.

Credit well and truly goes to the Govt. which took steps for signing two major contracts for rifles, and achieving significant momentum on several other categories of arms.

Full auto capable.

* Having a shorter handguard
The Excalibur Mk-1 in question (the most successful variant of Excalibur) actually has the same handguard as the INSAS.

* Having a foldable butt-stock
Was initially a feature unique to the Excalibur, but now INSAS has folding stock variants too. The photo posted by Unknowncommando above clearly illustrates that.

* Having a Picatinny rail, a universal mount that allows for a range of weapon sights and other attachments like foregrip, laser designator, or flashlight.
It actually has no such thing. At least the MK-1 doesn't.

It has the same small, fixed sight post on the dust cover (which has two holes and you can attach a scope on it, but can't be adjusted for length because the post is very small), same as on INSAS. It may or may not be possible to attach a P-rail on TOP of this post, and then install a sight on that rail. I think its possible, but never seen such configuration in actual use.

The handguard on the production model (MK-1) does not have rails, as I said its the same handguard as on INSAS. So attachment of foregrips, lasers, etc. is not possible either.

This is Excalibur MK-1

Last edited:

WolfPack86

Country flag
OFB is making an order of about 2500 JVPC right now. Assuming it is for home ministry...
What about Indian Army did they ordered JVPC and what about status and trials. Do you have any information on that.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Regarding JVPC, @Gessler gave this info on the "New Assault Rifles for Indian Army" thread:

Why is JVPC not even being considered ?

The initial trial batch produced for Army trials had failed the MRBF (Mean Rounds Between Failure) parameters. OFB had hoped that quality in production could be stabilized if they get some orders from CAPFs and Police units first. They did get several orders from MHA forces.

However, I haven't heard anything regarding them submitting a fresh batch for re-trials.

In the meantime IA couldn't wait till eternity for Ordnance Factories to figure out how to get consistent quality control across a production batch, and decided to go in for the foreign carbine tender.

Chinmoy

Country flag
What about Indian Army did they ordered JVPC and what about status and trials. Do you have any information on that.
Even if IA goes on to order JVPC, they would not order it in mass. Reason would be the MINSAS. It would just add to the logistic nightmare with four different rounds doing round.

JVPC would at best replace the 9mm role in IA.

Kchontha

Country flag
Is still its magazine break, jammed while firing, oil spilled, and fired auto while in semi mode or ugly with yellow skin etc etc?! I still wonder why these state police forces donning this less stoping power capability rifle inspite of they (police) being the one who are more likely to encounter the tangos.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Articles