INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
dont remember exactly where but once read that the mags are made by nilkamal
Yes, my mistake. I was looking at wrong OFB’s vendor list. They are registered at RF Ishapore.

it is still being manufactured by NILKAMAL.

Here are the list of products they supply..

1) BUTT PLASTIC FOR RIFLE 5.56MM INSAS.
2) MAGAZINE (20 ROUNDS) FOR RIFLE 5.56MM INSAS.
3) MAGAZINE (30 ROUNDS) FOR 5.56MM INSASA RIFLE.
4) MAGAZINE ASSEMBLY FOR ASSAULT RIFLE 7.62 MM (GHAATAK)
5) GRIP PISTOL FOR 5.56MM INSAS.
6) GRIP PISTOL ASSY, FOR 7.62MM ASSAULT RIFLE.
7) INJECTION MOULDED COMPONENTS FROM 5 GRAMS TO 5.5KGS PER SHOT AS PER DRG & SPECN.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
As per CAG report same tactics were used for defence gun is AA

DRDO was developing and an AA but the requirement & design of the air defence gun was changed 9 time in 11 years by the army to scuttle the development

India manufacturers both 30 mm and 40 mm Air defence guns and ammunition therefore requirement of 35 mm calibre was chosen to help rheinmetall

unfortunately due to rivalry between multiple dalals, rheinmetall was cited for corruption and black listed therefore the procurement of imported air defence guns was stalled
but the army has not allowed DRDO to develop and induct an indigenous air defence gun

Kchontha

Country flag
OFB Excalibur chambered for 5.56x45 NATO is suitable for carbine role, these should be rammed down down import maniac IA throat for its 3.5 lakhs carbine requirement.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Let me explain the reason for failure of insas carbine
Insas carbine failed because the short barrel is unable to fire the Indian 5. 56 round
now the media and the dalals do not tell us that Indian 5. 56 around is different from nato 5. 56 round
No foreign carbine can fire Indian 5. 56 round because the burn profile of the propellant of indian rounds is different that is too say that the burn time is longer therefore it need a longer barrel

while the requirement for firing Indian 5. 56 round was imposed on DRDO products but the same requirement has been removed for foreign carbine

Ace is outdated but costly version of insas

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
@Raj Malhotra remember DRDO wala when asked about why DRDO cant reduce weight of INSAS rifle said, he said these are real rifles, not toy guns, these could fire 15000 rounds, others will get burn after firing 500 rounds

I think this sum up the shining new toys, which cannot compete with local INSAS. We need to ask for comparative trials to be done on these.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
@Raj Malhotra remember DRDO wala when asked about why DRDO cant reduce weight of INSAS rifle said, he said these are real rifles, not toy guns, these could fire 15000 rounds, others will get burn after firing 500 rounds

I think this sum up the shining new toys, which cannot compete with local INSAS. We need to ask for comparative trials to be done on these.
May be true..
is there a barrel cook off video of INSAS rifle in public domain?
if there is none, i think people should ask for one. let's see if the claim stands true on it's own.

Chinmoy

Country flag
May be true..
is there a barrel cook off video of INSAS rifle in public domain?
if there is none, i think people should ask for one. let's see if the claim stands true on it's own.
Actually there is one of INSAS LMG. But the reason is completely different.

Vishal Chandorkar

Country flag
OFB Excalibur chambered for 5.56x45 NATO is suitable for carbine role, these should be rammed down down import maniac IA throat for its 3.5 lakhs carbine requirement.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
There is the JVPC for the carbine role

binayak95

Country flag
And that is complete BULLSHIT. The only aspects of a rifle that need to be "toughened" are your firing mech and barrel. The furniture and frame can be as light as you want.

These so called 15000 rounds INSAS don't exist! The problem with INSAS is OFB and its absolute garbage manufacturing quality. Have any of the INSAS defenders here actually used one? Especially the orange furniture ones?

The guns are a headache to maintain and clean, disassembly of the guns is a pain in the butt, you dont know when a gun will explode in your hands, the gun fails to battery rounds every 2nd mag... even that famous LMG video demonstrates how many stoppages? Imagine that happening when you had no cover and then tell the soldiers in the IA to make do with this junk.

Its a good design, and well made INSASes (the black furniture ones) are a joy to shoot, light recoil and accurate - but its reputation is mud now. Soldiers dont trust it, most would pick any Kalashnikov or even an old school SLR over this gun given a choice. Time's long due to phase it out.

Maddy_9UY

Country flag
My bad.... I've posted the video to only show a jam and cocking off of the gun in field. But as I already mentioned, this is because of other factor rather then mechanical failure. In the same situation I would love to see some much sought after rifles.
The Jams could be because of faulty magazines which do not properly feed the bullets. Plastic magazines are notorious for it. Yes and it is true that OFB has quality issues in not just finishing, but also in the internal mechanisms. I dont know how the contracts work, but we can ask private companies to manufacture a new gun using Insas design then we might see lot of improvements.

Chinmoy

Country flag
The Jams could be because of faulty magazines which do not properly feed the bullets. Plastic magazines are notorious for it. Yes and it is true that OFB has quality issues in not just finishing, but also in the internal mechanisms. I dont know how the contracts work, but we can ask private companies to manufacture a new gun using Insas design then we might see lot of improvements.
I do know this as I have seen first hand issue like faulty magazine. But those were in normal shooting range on normal days under normal condition. But this video is under real condition where the magazines are getting replenished on field among dust. So its quiet normal for dust or other debris to get into the mag and consequently in the firing chamber or barrel of the gun.

Now my point is, could any other weapon function the way INSAS is working under same condition? Look at the way it starts shooting after just a single or double cocking or after replacing the mag. Now INSAS itself is not maintenance intensive like western rifles. So I believe that this video shows its ruggedness rather then its deficiency under harsh condition.

But sadly, we can't compare it with AK in respect of ruggedness.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles