INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

sayareakd

Country flag
what happens when it runs out of its 30 rounds very quickly

wouldn't a belt fed box type magazine be better for prolonged engagement without the need of reloading after 30 rounds as will be the case with insas lmg thus increasing risks to the loader
that is why chain feed system is needed for RCWS..........................................about 1000 rounds, still good start by BSF.

soikot banerjee

Country flag
Guys do you think the OFB should develop an Anti-Recoil/counterbalance system like the AK-107, for our new 7.62 assault rifle?
Right now passive devices like proper use of compensator, muzzle brake and flash suppressor should be excercised to bring the recoil and noise down which is lower than both sig and galil 7.62*51 versions. Active recoil suppression can be done on 7.62 Mk2 variants. As of now time of developement for product using maximum of what is available in abundance matters rather than goint into a entire mechanical turnaround which will require more time and R&D.

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
I understand that OFB actions never really make much sense, but one thing that really bugs me, is the fact that they decided to carbon copy the AK with Ghatak or TAR or whatever. If it's OFB made, and nobody will come asking for license fee, why not improve it ? The least they could do was put in a better sight.

This finnish Valmet could very much be used as an inspiration. The fact that Ghatak has INSAS fire control group proves that OFB is not incapable of doing this, why couldn't they pick the top cover and flash hider too ?

Last edited:

binayak95

Country flag
I understand that OFB actions never really make much sense, but one thing that really bugs me, is the fact that they decided to carbon copy the AK with Ghatak or TAR or whatever. If it's OFB made, and nobody will come asking for license fee, why not improve it ? The least they could do was put in a better sight.

This finnish Valmet could very much be used as an inspiration. The fact that Ghatak has INSAS fire control group proves that OFB is not incapable of doing this, why couldn't they pick the top cover and flash hider too ?
Or atleat add a better fire selector than the lever in the AK. Ergonomics aren't apparently important for OFB.

Then there's the JVPC which is very ergonomic. Yeh chal kya raha hai!!! :confused:

Aghore_King

Country flag

First let them effectively reverse engineer Ak, then we should expect anything better from them....

soikot banerjee

Country flag

This is lack of R&D, OFB were never meant for R&D, The ghatak and TAR were primarily MHA funded and not MoD, the first pure R&D work started in ofb in early 2016 when defense standing committies suggested PMO that OFB should be funded to have their own R&D, that will help them improve their quality. Till now all the projects of R&D were OFB funded from their profits which was peanuts,and TAR and Ghatak are products of OFB funded R&D and hence the results. The final INSAS 1C and Ishapore DMR are MoD funded R&D hence you see a li'l better product. JVPC and MCIWS come from pure R&D organisation the product proves that.

But I wouldn't blame it on OFB completely for following reasons:

1. Ghatak is in service with various forces.
2.TAR is also is in service.
3.Both are now a product with good customer base say more than 2000.
4.Even with lack of funds OFB reverse engineered AR-M1 to an extent it can't be distinguished from TAR. REVERSE ENGINEERING IS NOT A JOKE! PROVES THAT WE ARE WELL CAPABLE OF TAKING THE CHINESE WAY OF R&D, IF WE WANT TO!

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
This is lack of R&D, OFB were never meant for R&D, The ghatak and TAR were primarily MHA funded and not MoD, the first pure R&D work started in ofb in early 2016 when defense standing committies suggested PMO that OFB should be funded to have their own R&D, that will help them improve their quality. Till now all the projects of R&D were OFB funded from their profits which was peanuts,and TAR and Ghatak are products of OFB funded R&D and hence the results. The final INSAS 1C and Ishapore DMR are MoD funded R&D hence you see a li'l better product. JVPC and MCIWS come from pure R&D organisation the product proves that.

But I wouldn't blame it on OFB completely for following reasons:

1. Ghatak is in service with various forces.
2.TAR is also is in service.
3.Both are now a product with good customer base say more than 2000.
4.Even with lack of funds OFB reverse engineered AR-M1 to an extent it can't be distinguished from TAR. REVERSE ENGINEERING IS NOT A JOKE! PROVES THAT WE ARE WELL CAPABLE OF TAKING THE CHINESE WAY OF R&D, IF WE WANT TO!
What is Isapore DMR? Is there anything like it?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ghatak & TAR are being design as per requirement, The AK resemblance despite the working mechanism is more like 1B1 ..

Kanpur on other hand decided to make a clone of AK-101 ..

binayak95

Country flag
Calling the
View attachment 20876

Please enter a message with at least 30 characters.
7.62x51 Sniper Rifle a DMR is wrong. A DMR has semi automatic fire capability, a magazine size of atleast 20 rounds and isn't visually glaringly different from an Assault Rifle.

The sniper rifle is bolt action, and manually loaded, if I'm not wrong.

Articles