INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Iron Sights

The Iron sights are most interesting feature on this Assault rifle and perhaps impressed me the most, The front sights are H&K style front sights, Where as the rear sight is hybrid AK and INSAS 1B1 leaf sight though not fold-able.

This gives you much faster and better sight picture, Basically gives you what INSAS 1B1 gives you with its leaf sight, Such a feature will boost confidence while engaging targets at medium range with far better accuracy then using open sights trying to find the tip between the rear sights.

This feature also free the solider from getting new training while adapting to new weapon at range which is solider friendly.

=========>>

Picture used for only Representation of sight picture of AR15 / Ghatak AR

=============
=============

The rear sight has adjustable wind age and elevation, The range can be set to 1000 meters but effectiveness of the weapon is best 300 meters which is best for Close combat and majority of regular engagements.

I found it on a reputed FB defence page. I have not seen many pics of OFB-Modified AK so couldn't get it right

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Receiver,Gas block & Muzzle brake

The basic outer look of the receiver is same as other AK`s around the world, It has the similar selector switch which has similar modes, One is semi other is fully auto and safety, The cocking / charging handle are all similar to an AK`s, However the magazine release and trigger so does assembly is from INSAS 1B1 when looked closely.

The receiver is most mysterious part of this rifle, As its looks similar to any other AK`s in the world while its internal working makes its most different than other AK`s around the world.

Here the 45 degree gas block is originally from AK design, The barrel is chromed line and its a 16inch one, The front sight is H&K style and the muzzle brake is slant one like found on original design, The muzzle brake is a simple yet efficient design which effectively reduce muzzle climb and rightward muzzle drift during rapid fire.

==============

Having used INSAS 1b1 mostly will always like and wish to see INSAS 1B1 muzzle break on the barrel as its much more efficient design, So does same metallurgy or better used on INSAS Excalibur so it gets much more lighter, Though nothing wrong with present setup as it clears user trails already, But such improvements can be handy for much efficient design in future.

======
======
======
======

Magazine

The Magazine here is a license copy of Bulgarian Waffle style 30rnd AK magazine, This get really heavy when fully loaded nearly around 700gms, And their are metal tabs in this which stop it from shredding, Its perhaps the best choice for Ghatak as its this magazine is consider best design.

The design is best trade off between strength, Reliability and durability, The magazine has steel reinforcement at various places which increase its durability over other fiber magazine available for AK, Its solid design for Indian requirement which can take harsh punishment from a solider and from nature.

But, personally i believe it would be logical to go for a shorter Magazine of 22rnds just like on INSAS 1B1, Not because of excess ammunition or anything of such logic but merely due to excess weight, The 22 rnd magazine of 7.62m3 will surely less weight and can be around 500gms from 700gms of 30rnd magazine, Keeping in mind a foot soldier always wish for a lighter equipment.

Cheers ! :)

I found it on a reputed FB defence page. I have not seen many pics of OFB-Modified AK so couldn't get it right

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Some close up pictures of MSMC ..

New BEL reflex sight ..

============

Source :

Sandeep Unnithan
Published on Sep 5, 2017

The venerable 1A1 9 mm carbine aka the British designed Sterling carbine has been in serial production at the Ordnance Factory Kanpur since 1962. Over 600,000 carbines have been produced. The weapon has now been deemed obsolete by the Indian army and is in limited series production. It could be replaced by the promising Joint Venture Protective Carbine developed by the DRDO-ARDE.

Shadow

Country flag
Handing it over to Rajnath Singh.Does that mean we will see MSMC being used by Paramilitary?

porky_kicker

Country flag
Thanks! Are you aware about its major improvements over the 1B1 apart from the physical features.
i am a noob when it comes to small arms ,other knowledgeable members here will know best.

anyways as to your previous question i would like to rectify my error as it seems that JVPC has been handed over to paramilitary.

but best wait for more proof

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
And what are its major improvements over 1B1?
Thanks! Are you aware about its major improvements over the 1B1 apart from the physical features.
Refer to this thread,there're numerous posts by Kunal Dada where he's reviewed this weapon.

Moreover to that,to understand it thoroughly one has to study internals of this weapon which is apparently unavailable,plus add some practical experience to that which only Kunal dada seems to have.

Read all the post by him carefully on this thread,you'll get the idea.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles