INSAS Indian Small Arms System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Re: F-INSAS Futuristic Infantry Soldier As a System

The secret world of DRDO - The New Indian Express

Rifle recoil: The mass produced INSAS rifle, meant to be the main rifle for the Indian Army has been known to malfunction in extreme conditions. The first known debacle was on August 7, 2005. As the evening shadows grew longer at the Royal Nepal Army's Pili camp in western Kalikot district, about 550 km northwest of capital Kathmandu, Maoist fighters massed silently outside. The roads connecting the camp that housed about 200 soldiers — mostly employed in the construction of a new highway — had been mined. A little before 6 pm, over 1,000 Maoists attacked the camp. Armed with INSAS rifles, the Nepalese soldiers fought back, but in vain. By 4 pm, the Maoists had captured 100 soldiers, and executed 40 of them. Nepal blamed INSAS malfunctions for the disaster: "The rifles are okay if you fight for an hour or two, but are not appropriate for long battles. If we had better weapons, our casualties would have been much less," said a Nepal government spokesman. In November 2011, the Ministry of Defence issued a tender for 66,000 assault rifles to replace the INSAS. The MoD wanted the new rifles to be able to switch calibres between the small, high-velocity 5.56 mm rounds the INSAS fires and the devastatingly powerful 7.62 mm rounds of the older FAL rifles.

The story of this short-lived rifle epitomises the drift in the way the DRDO works, and also between it and the armed forces. The DRDO took a decade to design the INSAS. A few years later, it was supplied to the Army throughout the later half of the 1990s. But the Army did not put all its eggs in the desi basket; it bought 100,000 AK-47s from Bulgaria in 1995 for its frontline units in Kashmir. The INSAS began rolling off the lines soon after, at a cost several times that of the Kalashnikov. When war broke out in Kargil in 1999, INSASs jammed; the transparent polymer magazines cracked. Its ammunition-conserving three-round burst went virally fully automatic. An oil spray glitch was detected. By 2002, the Army had ordered the Israeli Tavor 21 rifle for its special forces and the Galil for its snipers. This year, the Special Forces will induct US-made M-4 rifles, the Vietnam-era M-16's newer version that US soldiers now use in Afghanistan. "DRDO products are half imported and half prepared here, which is dangerous. Defence is too serious business to be left to

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Re: F-INSAS Futuristic Infantry Soldier As a System

looks like new Indian Expres guy know more about defence, semi automatic becoming fully automatic, i am sure many soldiers and civilians like me will love it.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Some people never touched a fire arm, And consider themselves experts opinions on defense..

Take it as pinch of salt , It have no creditability at all..

The Fox

this is DRDO's gun rite MSMG rite y is it shown under SA's flag.................

EzioAltaïr

a foregrip could be a better option to be added as it will reduce the jumping of the weapon.
Yeah, I've been wondering too about that. Why have they not put a foregrip? Or is it like the MP-7? Where the pics don't always show a foregrip, but the weapon itself has a place to attach one?

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
MSMC is in Black Ops 2...

Watch the beginning of video #2 for gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I lifted the old version and it is light weight, new version is even more light.

AshutoshNSingh

Army wont induct MSMC unless its reliability increased to 99.9 pc. Anyways will 5.56x30mm give as good performance as 9x19mm in terms of stopping power? Does it have armor piercing capability comparble to MP7 (muz vel : 710 + mps) ?

The Fox

I firmly believe DRDO should be looking at selling these for the Indian Police rather than Army first is this is a CQB weapon even though it uses 5.56X30mm round it can be modified to use the 9mm or 45caliber pistol rounds for local law enforcement rather than them carrying their Insas 5.56 caliber weapon

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
well my friend it is not me that should get this idea its the scientist and CCS should get this idea and enforce it on DRDO
DRDO is researcher, Dont sell nor does manufacture..

Its upto the police demand such specs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles