INS Vishal (IAC- II) Aircraft Carrier - Flattop or Ski Jump

Adm Kenobi

Country flag
i hv some qus for u:-
1:- what about Azerbaijan claim, that they counter Armenia (russian) Iskander ballistic missile from barak 8 in war. even Armenia said they were not happy with iskander performance. if its true than barak 8 can counter a ballistic missile.
2:- its common claim by indianz, that only barak 8 can counter brahmos missiles. so india hv both "venom nd antidote". if that true, that mean barak 8 can counter a supersonic cruise missile also.
3:- if VLSRAM is more capable than barak 8 (with less range). than why in our destroyers nd frigate we hv no plan to replace some barak 8, out of 32 numbers with VLSRAM. we r only going to fit VLSRAM in our corvette.
now tell us, with all these how can u say VLSRAM is more superior than barak 8 or MRSAM?? so unlike barak 8, VLSRAM cant counter ballistic missile nd cruise missiles.
1. Intercepting an SRBM is possible, but it can't act as a BMD missile with just 16km altitude.

2. The claim that only Barak-8 can intercept BrahMos is shit, SM-2, Aster 30, SM-6 & ESSM have been tested against BrahMos like target and have performed well. Several SAMs currently serving can intercept SCMs.

3. Because using VL-SRSAM in MRSAM cells is not feasible, rather add more cells (which there is plenty of space for). I don't know why this forum thinks VL-SRSAM will only be integrated with corvettes and not our frigates and destroyers, this is not true, VL-SRSAM will be integrated with our capital ships as well. MRSAM has an advantage when it comes to max range and altitude, but VL-SRSAM will feature a better seeker and similar kinematics, giving it a good kill probability. It's not the job of an SRSAM (or even MRSAM) to intercept a ballistic missile, even MRSAM won't have a good track record against SRBM, 16km is not good enough for such role. VL-SRSAM can't intercept cruise missiles? What?

And about space in our destroyers, there is an image showing some internal layout shots of P-15B on the Internet, feel free to find it.

vin bharat mahan

Kumaoni, Uttarakhand
Country flag
1. Intercepting an SRBM is possible, but it can't act as a BMD missile with just 16km altitude.

2. The claim that only Barak-8 can intercept BrahMos is shit, SM-2, Aster 30, SM-6 & ESSM have been tested against BrahMos like target and have performed well. Several SAMs currently serving can intercept SCMs.

3. Because using VL-SRSAM in MRSAM cells is not feasible, rather add more cells (which there is plenty of space for). I don't know why this forum thinks VL-SRSAM will only be integrated with corvettes and not our frigates and destroyers, this is not true, VL-SRSAM will be integrated with our capital ships as well. MRSAM has an advantage when it comes to max range and altitude, but VL-SRSAM will feature a better seeker and similar kinematics, giving it a good kill probability. It's not the job of an SRSAM (or even MRSAM) to intercept a ballistic missile, even MRSAM won't have a good track record against SRBM, 16km is not good enough for such role. VL-SRSAM can't intercept cruise missiles? What?

And about space in our destroyers, there is an image showing some internal layout shots of P-15B on the Internet, feel free to find it.
1:- yeah 16 km altitude is very low to intercept ballistic missile...but it seems barak 8 intercepted a respectable ballistic missile Iskander, which even not intercepted by Ukrainian. so barak 8 can intercept ballistic missile, may be not 100% time, but it can.
2:- other countries sam system like u mention (SM 2, aster etc) have been tested brahmos "like" target. key point is like. can u tell me which western countries have brahmos type cruise missile. which can travel at 3 mach speed at sea level (5-15 meter height) nd do cobra "S" menuvers in it ending phase. so yes western sams tested on supersonic target drones, but again real thing is different. russian sam system failed to intercept even subsonic Ukrainian cruise missiles. do u think russian didnt test their sams against sub sonic cruise missiles?? i m highly doubt VLSRAM can counter cruise missile, coz its basically astra missile. many russian sam system failed against subsonic cruise missiles. so i hv doubt. i m believing that barak 8 counter brahmos, coz some navy person claim that. so may be they counter barak 8 against brahmos.
3:- yes our distroyer hv some space. but i m talking about 32 VLS. navy is not interested in fitting VLSRAM on it. yeah they will fit VLSRAM if they can fit more VLS on empty space. otherwise they will not replace some barak 8. that mean they r satisfied with barak 8. nd in future if they want 2-3 layered syatem. than they will include 150 nd 250 km range of upcoming LRSAM or XRSAM.
by d way barak 8 hv 20-30 km altitude to intercept, according to israel.

Screenshot_20230929-204951.jpeg

Chinmoy

Country flag
I was expecting a trash source, Wikipedia is even trashier.
The poster I shared mentioned events that happened after the Livefist article about LRSAM range extension, which was picked up by everyone thereafter.
MRSAM has an acceptable pk for 1-70km range, this is why it is mentioned in the poster.
Updated huh?
And yes, the minimum range in the playcard is as true as the maximum range.
Yes, parliamentary committee report is a trash and the thinking of an armchair Adm is godsaid.

I was expecting some technical debate with you, but it seems you really don't worth the time and effort.

Adm Kenobi

Country flag
Yes, parliamentary committee report is a trash and the thinking of an armchair Adm is godsaid.

I was expecting some technical debate with you, but it seems you really don't worth the time and effort.
I'd be happy to read the parliamentary report that lists MRSAM' range as 0.5-100km and proven wrong.
My 'thinking' (statement) is based on a poster released by the developer, MRSAM' effective range is still listed as 70km in new pib press releases.
Please link the report you speak of.

Fatalis

Country flag
Poor play, the responsibility to prove your statement lies with you.
The minimum engagement range with good pk is 1km. It would be good if you use correct figures.
View attachment 224482
The old poster for MRSAM
I won't always play along this nicely, be responsible next time.
There is weight difference between MRSAM - IN (284kg) and MRSAM - IAF/IA (275kg). I wonder why.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I wonder whether we could offer the Vikrant-class carrier to friendly faraway powers like the Brazilians.
It would be an unprecedented export success, and at the same time, bolster the Brazilian Navy. Considering that INS Vishal intends to have more indigenous parts, this would mean more revenue secured for Indian contractors in this export.

Brazil has experience in operating aircraft carriers before, though they were pretty small and operated the American-made A-5 Skyhawks.

They just decommissioned their carrier, São Paulo, in 2018.

1697225377791.png
1697225400342.png

If we get a committed order from Brazil (the only non-Western, non-Eastern power to be able to afford a carrier right now other than us), it would be a game changer in our defence cooperation. They already operate the Gripens for their air force and could consider the Rafale M or even the TEDBF (by the time such an export is delivered to them, TEDBF would likely be ready).

It would also indicate India's comfort in teaming up with Brazil over strategic defence projects, such as the recent offer of partnership in the C-390 project, and other future military aviation projects.

Last edited:

Starlight

Country flag
The best choice for the follow-on aircraft carriers is 4, including the 2nd Vikrant class carrier as the design is fixed, officer and seaman time lines won't be wasted at the helm waiting for a 65000 ton class carrier design to be cleared by the DAC after a thorough examination of 10 years or so suspected by most of the public. So IMHO we get more fire power around the coast and in deeper oceanic waters rather then just the one 65000 ton aircraft carrier which is like a statement; but if they take minimum time for design and then fast track the project while approving 3-4 65000 ton class carriers to be built simultaneously, we then wont have any psychological trauma during the 20s and 30s regarding our maritime safety.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles