INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
1) One assumption would be that they are doing work that does not require dry docks like cabling, engine work etc., Perhaps they thought in the mean while we can use the docks for other work.

2) May be this is routine procedure to check for faults in the new hull?

3) They hit a design road block and not sure what to do.

4) The bridge is getting ready in a different place.

5) Out of funds for the month?

6) Misunderstanding between Cochie Shipyard and Navy.

7) Since it is Kerala, the occasional workers strike! :D

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Who said??
Sao Paulo is huge carrier but the aircrafts on it are vintage shit. May be one day we can sell them NLCAs. Just a wishful thought!

The IAC is pretty small compared to Sao Paulo.

pmaitra

4) The bridge is getting ready in a different place.
Looks like you are getting carried away by that picture I had posted. Let us wait and see. There is no hardand fast rule that the island has to be built separately. It could be built separately or otherwise. Both methods have been used for making ACs. So, let us wait and see.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Looks like you are getting carried away by that picture I had posted. Let us wait and see. There is no hardand fast rule that the island has to be built separately. It could be built separately or otherwise. Both methods have been used for making ACs. So, let us wait and see.
Who posted the pics? Shaitan got the first pics and Tarmac blog everyone sees. :p

pmaitra

Who posted the pics? Shaitan got the first pics and Tarmac blog everyone sees. :p
I am not talking about pictures posted by Shaitan, I am talking about the picture posted by me about the island of Gorshkov, which you posted back in this thread. ;) See, read, and understand, what I quoted in my earlier respose.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
No its not about your pic, i was speculating on why IAC is not in the dry docks. Has nothing to do with your pic.

pmaitra

No its not about your pic, i was speculating on why IAC is not in the dry docks. Has nothing to do with your pic.
You said that the island is being built somewhere else. How can you be so sure? We will have to wait and see how they build the island; only then we will know whether it was built separately or on-board the ship.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
You said that the island is being built somewhere else. How can you be so sure? We will have to wait and see how they build the island; only then we will know whether it was built separately or on-board the ship.
Your takeing to much credit for nothing, is that how competitive your work environment is? :D

I agree, lest wait and watch.

shubhamsaikia

The 30 Aircrafts that t can carry, will both below and above deck or just below and we can hope for fitting in more...?

pmaitra

The 30 Aircrafts that t can carry, will both below and above deck or just below and we can hope for fitting in more...?
See those two cutouts on the side of the hull? Those are the gateways from where the aircraft will come out onto the lift, which will take it to the upper deck. I think it will carry some helos on the upper deck, but someone can confirm that.

IAC-1

April 16th

shubhamsaikia

IAC seems to be larger than the Gorshkov. Also I feel because of a smaller island the IAC can stack more aircrafts on the Deck. We can easily hope for 35-40 I guess.

pmaitra

I haven't seen the island of IAC, save for the model. I believe, even if it is larger, relative to the deck, it'll be smaller.

pmaitra

IAC-1 should be of about the length of Sao Paulo or the Charles De Gaulle
IAC Model: cross-decked; bow lift partially overhanging beyond hull end on starboard side.

Kuznetsov: cross-decked; bow lift partially overhanging beyond hull end on starboard side.

Sao Paulo: cross-decked; bow lift completely within hull end on starboard side.

pmaitra

Also, notice the Majestic class ex-Hercules and ex-Vikrant, which is now a museum at Mumbai.

pmaitra

These two images compare NATO and Soviet Navies' vessels very well, along with other equipment. I am not sure whether they are to scale, but probably are.

charlyondfi

Another pic of IAC-1

IAC-1
April 16th
Can someone help or correct me if I was wrong - comparing the pic of Jan, since IAC-1 put in water (towed out of dry dock), w/ the one at Apr, it does NOT look like working/construction is going on. I mean: I couldn't see any hanger, machines or even work force on board,, just like those busy ones on Varyag. Of course it could be just insid/under-cover or Apr pic is NOT that updated, either. Not sure.

This is something that can (debatelt greatly) affect strategic/military balance in both IOR & SCS for the next 3~4 decades, which many people should be concerned.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles