INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Crusader53

Read my Post, Its even quoted by captonjohn on this very page, It mentioned abt buddy refueling with a image too, What i explained is Cristal-clear..
I am repeating in simple language:

In Military Avition when Payload weights more than takeoff weight of the Aircraft, Aircraft usually fueled less so that the desired takeoff weight can be archived within limited length of runway..

After taking-off a buddy refueler will fuel the NLCA in mid air to archive needed strike range..

Now as u said NLCA can carry only one ASM is also true and not wrong, as per u its payload will be less and it wont need any mid air refueling....
Which is also correct..
So, what's going to Buddy Refuel the N-LCA??? Plus, if the Buddy Refueling aircraft is using a Ski Jump. It won't be able to carry much fuel in the first place! Then you have to consider the limited size of the AIRWING to add to that.......

BTW While the N-LCA in theory can carry two ASM's. It would likely not do so for the reasons given.

Crusader53

i am shocked at the audacity of the british to offer us decommisioned harriers.if they are thinking that india is a junkyard of obsolete weapons like pakistan then mod must ban them

The GR9's are in extremely good condition and are not that old. Plus, while not a Air Defense Fighter. They would be very capable in providing Close Air Support for Troops on the Ground. Which, is the whole point.........

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
The GR9's are in extremely good condition and are not that old. Plus, while not a Air Defense Fighter. They would be very capable in providing Close Air Support for Troops on the Ground. Which, is the whole point.........
the harriers is no match for the mig-29k and i am always against buying 2nd hand junk like gorkshkov and jalashwa.also if the harriers are so good then why are the british rejecting them?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
So, what's going to Buddy Refuel the N-LCA??? Plus, if the Buddy Refueling aircraft is using a Ski Jump. It won't be able to carry much fuel in the first place! Then you have to consider the limited size of the AIRWING to add to that.......
Do u even know what is the takeoff weight for NLCA from carrier with ski-jump?

the harriers is no match for the mig-29k and i am always against buying 2nd hand junk like gorkshkov and jalashwa.also if the harriers are so good then why are the british rejecting them?
We don't have a choice, Viraat going to stay for another 10 years..

Last edited:

Crusader53

Did IQ's just drop??? The GR9 Harriers "if" purchased for the Indian Navy would not compete against Mig-29K's nor operate from Indian Carriers. (i.e. IAC's) They would in fact provide CAS for Amphibious Ships.

As for why the UK is retiring them early. Simple to 'Save Money".

Regardless, again "if" it did happen that India would pick them up. It would be just a stop gap to gain more experience operating such types in Support of Amphibious Operations.

Crusader53

Do u even know what is the takeoff weight for NLCA from carrier with ski-jump?

We don't have a choice, Viraat going to stay for another 10 years..

Once the IAC and ex-Gorshkov enter Service. The Viraat could be used in a LHA Role with the current Sea Harriers and GR9's. Until the first New Amphibious Ships come into operations.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Four MiG-29Ks have already been accepted and are undergoing what is called Intensive Flying Trials and Testing. The Navy's 'Top Gun' younger pilots are being readied for the big day for 'their maiden deck landing'. Some more machines will arrive in 2011 and 29 more machines are on order for the 37,500 ton Indian aircraft carrier under construction at Cochin, due to commission in 2015. The hull was to be launched at Cochin in 2010 itself, but an unfortunate mishap when the truck transporting the large special ship's generators from Pune suffered a road accident, and has led to a minor delay. The Navy also hopes to induct 17 BAE Hawk 123 trainers for conversion training, and Goa is contender for their basing.

GlobalDefense
I think this answers the delay involved in launch of IAC-1......

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Wärtsilä will supply diesel generators aircraft carrier Vikrant

It is ultimately the engine of Finland has been selected to provide the diesel generators of the future aircraft carrier Indian, now under construction in the arsenal of Cochin.

The Vikrant will have Wärsilä 12V26 8 engines with an output of 3150 kW, or a total capacity of over 25MW.

"Each motor is particularly suited to the requirements of the naval environment, particularly in low-level noise in the engine compartment. The basic features have been adapted to meet the constraints of sound discretion and strength in battle" , says one in Wärsilä.

Source

Atul

Founding Member
as per wiki, there will be two "Vikrant class aircraft carriers"

Name Pennant Tonnage Laid down Launched Sea trials Commissioning Details
INS Vikrant 40,000 Feb 2009 2013 2014 Conventional-powered STOBAR carrier
INS Vishal 65,000 Mid 2011 2015 2017 Conventional-powered CATOBAR carrier

STOBAR (short take off but arrested recovery)
CATOBAR (catapult assisted take off but arrested recovery)

so we are finally looking out for a Catapult based system soon... thats good & ambitious for the IN... :hail:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The Submarine Reactors turned out to be ill suited for the Charles De Gaulle. Which, France has stated on several occasions.
The reactors do exactly what they were designed to do. For a ship that has logged over 25,000 cat and traps, the equivalent of 16 trips around the globe and just completing a 4 month tour in the IOR, you sure do complain.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles