INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I second to that. FORCE magazine in 2007 had reported in interview with then naval chief Suresh Mehta that Bharat in collaboration with Israel is developing EMALS.

Crusader53

us will most likely be unwilling to share with us emals technogy,a joint venture with russia for emals for iac2 will be a good option

If, the US has sold India the P-8I and is willing to sell the Super Hornet and F-35. The EMALS System will be no problem.

As for Russia she can't afford her own Carrier Program at this Stage. So, I don't see her spending vast sums on Catapults anytime in the near future.

sandeepdg

It will be good if the US shares its EMALS technology with us, but as for the F-35, I am not that optimistic. Even if decide to buy it, there's no surety as to when we will finally get it, since the commitment made to the major partners is more important than catering to new buyers for Lockheed Martin. And maybe by then, there maybe a naval FGFA available to us, since I think it will be next biggest priority for both India and Russia after they induct the regular FGFA and the T-50 in their respective arsenal.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What ever fighter we are choosing must have ability to carry cruise missiles like bhramos and Nirbhay..

This will enhance the striking range of IN CBG over Indian Ocean..

captonjohn

Country flag
What ever fighter we are choosing must have ability to carry cruise missiles like bhramos and Nirbhay..

I doubt that NLCA would be capable to carry such heavy missiles, even Su-30 MKI also required overwhelming modifications before it become able to load these missiles.

Crusader53

The N-LCA would likely carry just one Anti-Ship Missile in the Harpoon/Exocet Class. With a very limited range at that.......(i.e. Operating from the IAC-1)

Crusader53

It will be good if the US shares its EMALS technology with us, but as for the F-35, I am not that optimistic. Even if decide to buy it, there's no surety as to when we will finally get it, since the commitment made to the major partners is more important than catering to new buyers for Lockheed Martin. And maybe by then, there maybe a naval FGFA available to us, since I think it will be next biggest priority for both India and Russia after they induct the regular FGFA and the T-50 in their respective arsenal.
I am sure that India could have F-35C by 2020. Which, is before the IAF wil get FGFA's or the PLAAF gets J-20's.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

.................................................. ........................

Last edited by a moderator:

sandeepdg

I am sure that India could have F-35C by 2020. Which, is before the IAF wil get FGFA's or the PLAAF gets J-20's.
Unfortunately, your surety ain't good enough, my friend. Over 3000 aircraft are to be delivered to the 9 nations including the US, of which hardly 200+ will be delivered by 2018. So, there's no way we can get one before 2020, not anyway before 2025 at least. Plus, there's other potential customers who are waiting for this aircraft, or have expressed their desire, this includes Japan, Singapore, South Korea and Israel.

Check this out: http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/6-46157.aspx

warriorextreme

Country flag
Its an old news but is it possible that IAC-2 being nuclear powered?

India can make N-powered aircraft carrier: Kakodkar

MUMBAI: Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) chairman Anil Kakodkar has said that India is capable of designing and developing nuclear-powered aircraft carriers. He was speaking to reporters after delivering the 15th Lalit Doshi Memorial Lecture on 'Nuclear Energy in India: Way Ahead' in Mumbai on Tuesday. Asked whether India has such capability, he said, ''Yes.''

Kakodkar, however, declined to comment on whether AEC was designing a light water reactor for a submarine. ''This isn't the time to answer this question. You will be told at the right time,'' he said. During the launch of INS Arihant, India's first nuclear-powered submarine, PM Singh said sanction had already been given for the development of more such submarines.

A legislation is being planned on nuclear liabilities keeping in mind the growth of N-commerce, the AEC chief said. During the lecture, Kakodkar said AEC was ''close to the launch of the construction of the 300-mw advanced heavy water reactor. The reactor with a design life of 100 years will receive 65% of its power from thorium.'' Highlighting the importance of Indo-US nuclear deal and stating that the availability of uranium is limited, he said, ''The situation is getting precarious. Thorium will be available for two centuries.''

''We're planning power parks consisting of six to eight units of light water reactors. India has set an ambitious target of generating 40,000 mw of nuclear power by 2020,'' he said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/India-can-make-N-powered-aircraft-carrier-Kakodkar/articleshow/4858274.cms

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The N-LCA would likely carry just one Anti-Ship Missile in the Harpoon/Exocet Class. With a very limited range at that.......(i.e. Operating from the IAC-1)
I doubt that NLCA would be capable to carry such heavy missiles, even Su-30 MKI also required overwhelming modifications before it become able to load these missiles.

NLCA in Anti-ship role may carry 2 x KH-35 or 4 X KH-31A or 2Xkh-35 & 2 kh-31a for long range anti-ship strike..

NLCA normal payload is 7820kg or little less from a carrier

KH-31A

Weight:Kh-31A :610 kg
Warhead:HE shaped charge
Warhead weight : Kh-31A :94 kg
Operational range:Kh-31A: 25 km–50 km
Speed :Kh-31A/P :2,160-2,520 km/h
Guidance system: Kh-31A: inertial with active radar

KH-35

Weight:520 kg
Warhead:HE shaped charge
Warhead weight: 145 kg
Operational range :{130km)-(70nm)
Speed:Mach 0.8
Guidance system: inertial and active radar

LCA on anti-ship strike may be fuel upto 40% only, for the rest of the journey it have to go for Air refueling via buddy refueling..

In case of NLCA, One NLCA will use as a buddy refuler for other NLCA..
Also note that NLCA carry 3000liters of internal fuel..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
NLCA can also carry 2 x KH-59mk..

KH-59MK

Weight : 930 kg (2,050 lb)
Warhead: Cluster or shaped-charge fragmentation
Warhead weight :320 kg
Engine:rocket then turbofan
Operational range: 285 km
Speed :Mach 0.72-0.88
Guidance-system : inertial, then TV-guided

Also its very possible that NAVY may use SCALP EG for both MIG-29K/NLCA..

Storm Shadow/SCALP EG

Weight:1,230 kg
Warhead: 450 kg
Operational range : 250 km
Flight altitude:30–40 m
Speed :1,000 km/h Mach 0.8
Guidance system :inertial, GPS and TERPROM. Terminal guidance using imaging infrared

The Gud thing abt SCALP is its a 100% fire and forget missile..

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
The British Navy and Airforce are decommissioning the Harrier and most of them are in very good condition. Is there any talk of us purchasing those?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

.................................................. ........................
Her accent is bit different..
Some light please...

Last edited by a moderator:

prahladh

Respected Member
Did she say 2040 or 2014. I kinda heard it like 2040.

Crusader53

1-ASM & 2-Fuel Tanks

NLCA in Anti-ship role may carry 2 x KH-35 or 4 X KH-31A or 2Xkh-35 & 2 kh-31a for long range anti-ship strike..

NLCA normal payload is 7820kg or little less from a carrier

It's likely the N-LCA could only carry one Harpoon/Exocet Sized Missile with two external fuel tanks. Assuming that it could take off from a Ski Jump at such a weight. Even then the range would hardly be impressive......

Respectfully

Crusader53

Really, both the IAC-2 and IAC-3 need to be of a common design. Regardless, if Nuclear Powered or not........IMO

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles