INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

SilentKiller

Country flag
Tick shows that what is best in INS VIKI as compared to liaoning . If both sides are tick than both are good and they cannot be compared. Cross means what is bad in VIKI .
Then information is incorrect as SAM's and CIWS are still to be integrated with viki.
These weapons will only be integrated during the next refit.

configuration can change such as barak 8 as LRSAM, Barak 1 as SR SAM and a new Gun based CIWS.
AK630 is one option but india might get to some other this time, india has already rejected Kashtin CIWS as india didn't liked it in talwar class that's why after first 3 talwar class next didn't featured it but ak 630.

AUSTIN FOSTER

Then information is incorrect as SAM's and CIWS are still to be integrated with viki.
These weapons will only be integrated during the next refit.

configuration can change such as barak 8 as LRSAM, Barak 1 as SR SAM and a new Gun based CIWS.
AK630 is one option but india might get to some other this time, india has already rejected Kashtin CIWS as india didn't liked it in talwar class that's why after first 3 talwar class next didn't featured it but ak 630.
Read carefully at last of image it is written that.

CrYsIs

Country flag
@DFI friends,

I just wanted to ask a simple question,do you think purchasing INS VIkramaditya was a mistake and instead that 2.3 billion $ should have been spent on the much needed subs ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Illusive

Country flag
@DFI friends,

I just wanted to ask a simple question,do you think purchasing INS VIkramaditya was a mistake and instead that 2.3 billion $ should have been spent on the much needed subs ?
Every deal has its place and its importance, we inked the scorpene deal in 2005 and we'll only receive the subs next year. We bought the Mig29K for a reason. Our sub construction is at maximum capacity, even if we bought a sub with that money we wouldn't have seen it sailing anytime soon. BTW 6 subs now and another 6subs with p75i is on the line so its not line we are making sacrifices.

Vikramaditya is very important for training our navy with STOBAR carriers cause we'll be operating atleast 3 of them.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
@DFI friends,

I don't think so

AC is best for Naval Supremacy and Blockades , Maritime Surveillance Coastal Clear ops and so on

we need At least 4 carriers But all of them should be CATOBAR or F 35 kind STOVL Carrier

rohit b3

Country flag
Even with INS Vikramaditya, there are 3 Nuke subs and 6 Diesel Submarines under construction...Total 9 Submarines. Thats enough submarine construction for one time :thumb:

That will be followed by another 6 Diesel Submarine and more Nuclear sub. So nothing to worry about.

CrYsIs

Country flag
Every deal has its place and its importance, we inked the scorpene deal in 2005 and we'll only receive the subs next year. We bought the Mig29K for a reason. Our sub construction is at maximum capacity, even if we bought a sub with that money we wouldn't have seen it sailing anytime soon. BTW 6 subs now and another 6subs with p75i is on the line so its not line we are making sacrifices.

But those scopenes will not be an addition,After the induction of scorpenes,all the HDW submarines as well as some sindhughosh class subs will be retiring as almost all of them have reached their retirement age,meaning that India's submarine strength will remain the same.

India needs atleast 25 submarines for effective deterrence,but unfortunately India has only 13 of which half of them have spent most of their lives in dockyards.

CrYsIs

Country flag
I don't think so

AC is best for Naval Supremacy and Blockades , Maritime Surveillance Coastal Clear ops and so on

we need At least 4 carriers But all of them should be CATOBAR or F 35 kind STOVL Carrier
INS Vikramaditya might be effective against Pakistan,Do you think it will be against China ?

From my understanding ,Aircraft carriers are both maintenance as well as financial burdens because it requires huge sums for overhauling and operations as well as it requires a
battle group of surface as well as subsurface vessels which would just add to the cost.

India's annual revenue is only 200 billion $ of which 40 billion is spent on military and of which only 10 billion $ is spent on the Navy.

Do you think with such meagre financial condition,it is advisable to have an Aircraft carrier ?

As i said Aircraft carriers might be effective against Pakistan but not against China because if India were to send it to South China Sea,their 50 plus submarines will

be lurking beneath to hunt it down,not to mention being on the cross-hairs of their specially designed anti carrier missiles.

But subs are all together a different ball game,rather they are a game changer, a nuke SSBN would be very effective because it can target China without even going anywhere
near to it's boundaries.On the top of that it can move alone stealthily without the requirement of any protection ships.

CrYsIs

Country flag
Even with INS Vikramaditya, there are 3 Nuke subs and 6 Diesel Submarines under construction...Total 9 Submarines. Thats enough submarine construction for one time :thumb:

That will be followed by another 6 Diesel Submarine and more Nuclear sub. So nothing to worry about.

Just to inform you that INS Arihanth has still not gone for sea trials according to some reports,meaning it will be another 2 years before it joins active service.The other two are still under construction and they will not be joining service before 2020.

Illusive

Country flag
But those scopenes will not be an addition,After the induction of scorpenes,all the HDW submarines as well as some sindhughosh class subs will be retiring as almost all of them have reached their retirement age,meaning that India's submarine strength will remain the same.

India needs atleast 25 submarines for effective deterrence,but unfortunately India has only 13 of which half of them have spent most of their lives in dockyards.
Carriers were always planned for the navy, but the submarine crisis is not a planned one. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, even if we had diverted the funds to buy submarines, we wouldn't have it available unless its on lease and India is already planning to lease another SSN.

It takes time to build a effective submarine force. P75I would be the last foreign deal after which India designs it own submarines.

Those Kilos will go through another upgrades increasing their life and effectiveness.

Meanwhile it'd be better if we work on UUV's and AUV's they are the future of submarine warfare.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
IN lack in commeting both no of submarines also carriers to the projected goal of securing all three fronts ..

jouni

What kind of plans you have for the future? How many aircraft carriers are ordered? Are you also in the new one's using Mig 29's, it seems a little odd choice.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles