INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Why Su-33 rejected as the aircraft on the AC?
I would guess that the Mig variant, being slightly smaller, would be a little easier to operate from the Gorshkov's deck.

Secondly, the Su-33 would be inferior to the Su-30MKI in performance, while the KUB is said to be a level better than the existing fulcrums.
Also, Su-33 is an expensive bird which is not worth it since we already have a better variant.

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
Why Su-33 rejected as the aircraft on the AC?
By now the IN was seriously examining the Russians offer of their 1980s vintage helicopter/VTOL carrier Admiral Gorshkov, and a choice had to be made of a suitable aircraft. The obvious options were the Su-33 (a derivative of the Su-27K selected for operation from the 67,500 ton carrier, Kuznetsov), and the Mig-29K. An evaluation revealed that both aircraft would meet our operational requirements. The Su-33, though more capable, being dimensionally larger would not only not fit in the smaller hangar of the 44,500 ton Gorshkov, but would have marginal wing-tip clearances from the island structure during deck launch. It was, therefore, decided that the Mig-29K would equip the Gorshkov, to be renamed INS Vikramaditya, once it entered Indian service.

The downstream impact of this decision was instantly felt by the ADS programme, and a fresh design exercise was initiated to assess the implications of MiG-29K STOBAR operations on the ADS design. According to the planners, the ship’s basic complement would be a squadron each of MiG-29s and assorted helicopters. The option of operating the upgraded Sea Harriers was also catered for, till the LCA (Navy) received its full operational clearance. The workshops, magazines, deck and lift configurations as well as crew spaces had to be re-worked.

The staff requirements having been finalised in 1999, the ADS emerged, in its definitive form, as a 37,000 ton vessel, to be powered by four LM-2500 gas turbines in COGAG arrangement which would give it a top speed of 28 knots. The 830 foot long angled flight deck would have a set of three arrester wires aft rated to handle aircraft of up to 22 ton all-up weight. A set of jet blast deflectors and hydraulic chocks would be installed to provide a 600 foot deck run for launch of the Mig-29K and LCA (Navy), from the 14 degree ski-jump launch using afterburner. The ship would carry an air group of 30 aircraft and helicopters and would be crewed by about 1400 personnel.
http://www.indiandefencereview.com/2008/05/india’s-quest-for-an-indigenous-aircraft-carrier.html

Read the whole thing its very good.

Secondly, the Su-33 would be inferior to the Su-30MKI in performance, while the KUB is said to be a level better than the existing fulcrums.
Also, Su-33 is an expensive bird which is not worth it since we already have a better variant.
Su-33 can be upgraded to similar standards (Su-30MKI), and the modifications that the MKI would have required to convert into a naval aircraft would have turned them into Su-33MKIs.

Pintu

Since, we are having at least 4 years delay on that project and Russians heightened the cost of refurbishing from $ 900 Million to $ 2.9 Billion a whopping 222% increase,and keeping in the view that the A/C is half completed, let us hope that a capable Air Craft Carrier be delivered to our Navy on time projected now , never with further delay and again Cost over running.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
http://www.indiandefencereview.com/2008/05/india’s-quest-for-an-indigenous-aircraft-carrier.html

Read the whole thing its very good.

Su-33 can be upgraded to similar standards (Su-30MKI), and the modifications that the MKI would have required to convert into a naval aircraft would have turned them into Su-33MKIs.
Not before entire supply lines are established.
Not before a lot of research bases are established.
Not before years are wasted considering the modifications.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
If the Super Hornet wins the MMRCA contract then it will be the front runner for any further requirment of a carrier capable fighter

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
If the Super Hornet wins the MMRCA contract then it will be the front runner for any further requirment of a carrier capable fighter
But the TWR of the super bug is less. And all IAC and the Gorshkov have only STOBAR and CATOBAR is not even planned. I dont think the superbug can take off with an effective load without a CATOBAR.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Wonder if anyone has info on if the SH can take off from STOBAR

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
Not before entire supply lines are established.
Not before a lot of research bases are established.
Not before years are wasted considering the modifications.
Which had to be established for the Mig-29K
which had to be done for the Mig-29K
Which had to be wasted considering the modification on Mig-29K.

the Mig-29K soviets had developed (1984-1988) was a different bird, for the current mig-29K the navy supplied the specifications and the Russians developed a prototype based on that.

All this is pointless anyways because the navy had selected the Mig-29K and Su-30 MKI can not operate from a STOBAR carrier with out modifications.

chandrahass

Professional
The Russian side confirms that in the year 2012 will convey India modernized ship "ADMIRAL GORSHKOV"

Moscow, 21 April. (ITAR-TASS). Russia in the year 2012 will convey India modernized at the shipbuilding company "Sevmash" ship "ADMIRAL GORSHKOV". This date reiterated by President "Joint Shipping Corporation" (OSC) Vladimir PAKHOMOV a published today interview time News ".

By agreement with the Indian party Date of transmission-2012. work against the taking place in three shifts, employing nearly 2, 000. highly-skilled workers. will increase the number of work, to increase the pace of work, but not to harm quality. Under negotiation with the Indian side of additional financing, "said PAKHOMOV.

The contract to modernize ship "ADMIRAL GORSHKOV" was concluded with India in 2004. Initially the transfer ship had been planned in 2008. However, because of the increase in time for completion of an aircraft carrier go for 2012-2013. The Indian Navy aircraft carrier was called the "Vikrmaditya ".

On the condition that adequate funding "Sevmash" expects to complete modernization and initiate plant testing ship in 2011. It is expected that the term of service would be no less than 30 years. The base against the 16 fighters MiG-29K and marine ASW helicopters Ka-31 and Ka-27.

Source Arm Tass .. Please Bear with Translation errors

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
good so vikramaditya is going to be operational for 30 years. But isn't 16 mig29k is less I mean in terms of number of fighters.

chandrahass

Professional
good so vikramaditya is going to be operational for 30 years. But isn't 16 mig29k is less I mean in terms of number of fighters.
Well That is what I guess what INS Vkrmaditya can board . It is not a huge ship mate. and Mind you 16 MIG 29 KUB 's are hell lot of fire power

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Well That is what I guess what INS Vkrmaditya can board . It is not a huge ship mate. and Mind you 16 MIG 29 KUB 's are hell lot of fire power
chandra i have one question is this 16 number is normal load or full combat load. As per my understanding carriers normally doesn't carry the full number of aircrafts it can carry please correct me if I am wrong

chandrahass

Professional
chandra i have one question is this 16 number is normal load or full combat load. As per my understanding carriers normally doesn't carry the full number of aircrafts it can carry please correct me if I am wrong
16 fighters with full weapon payload , well if the carier is of size of nimitz class they have a option not to go with full load as they still have invincible fire power . But they can ver well be armed to teeth

venkat

more images of gorshakov in asiandefence blog! seems lot of progress in work !

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
16 fighters with full weapon payload , well if the carier is of size of nimitz class they have a option not to go with full load as they still have invincible fire power . But they can ver well be armed to teeth
Relatively the Nimitz class would need to carry a lot more ammunition for 16 planes than what the INS Vikramaditya would require for its 16 planes, Nimitz is a strike carrier, and the Vikramaditya will be a air defense carrier.

The only picture which shows the schematics of the hanger space on the INS VK is
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Images/Gorshkov4.jpg

Other than that i have never come across any schematics showing how the space was utilized on the Gorshkov.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I just want to know how much time will it take for the Launch of aircrafts...the time in between. Because a lot of air vortexes are formed if a flight takes off. How much time will it take between take offs.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles