INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

Country flag
Invincible the accident on Akula was unforseen but there was no structural damage, Russians can easily make up for all this by offering some concessions, after all we are/were their biggest customer.

A.V.

Invincible the accident on Akula was unforseen but there was no structural damage, Russians can easily make up for all this by offering some concessions, after all we are/were their biggest customer.
yeah you are right lets hear from adux seems to know the details as he was involved . he can help us with the exact parameters and recent development.

Country flag
I always viewed our relations with russians as more than a seller buyer relations our relations with the russians goes far back and it spans a spectrum of many things, but i think the russians have somewhat changed this view?

Adux

Country flag
Invincible,

Please dont call me Sir, I have done nothing other than set up a Defence company working for the Indian Navy, that too is only on the intial stages.No NEWS of'em at all, atleast from my sources.

Please call me Adu!

screwterrorists

Founding Member
In my eyes, this carrier is not worth the hassle.
Even if the money invested is not returned somehow, its wiser to pull out before more demands are made?

Russians, im sorry to say, have lost a lot of credibility in my eyes.
This single incident may have taken them out of contention for the fighter deal.

pyromaniac

Founding Member
In my eyes, this carrier is not worth the hassle.
Even if the money invested is not returned somehow, its wiser to pull out before more demands are made?

Russians, im sorry to say, have lost a lot of credibility in my eyes.
This single incident may have taken them out of contention for the fighter deal.
They have lost credibility, I agree with you on that but they remain one of our strongest allies. If nothing else they helped us during the cold war and India owes them for that

pyromaniac

Founding Member
adux sir any news on the nuclear sub after the accident on the akula, what is india going to do in this matter.?

thanks sir at last we can get the right info rather than having a blind guess can you give us any more info on the real deal?
would be highly appreciated.

thnx

A high-level Indian naval delegation is currently inspecting the Russian Akula-II nuclear powered attack submarine-the Nerpa anchored at a Russian naval base near the far eastern city of Vladivostok.

The four-member delegation led by Vice Admiral K.N. Sushil, the navy's Inspector General Nuclear Safety left the capital on Sunday for a two-day fact finding mission to physically inspect the submarine and see whether it can actually be delivered to the navy this year.

The Nerpa (to be rechristened the INS Chakra) was set to arrive in India by August 15 this year but Russia's Amur shipyard, which built the Nerpa recently expressed doubts if it could be inducted in time following the November 8 accident last year which killed 20 crew. Sea trials of the submarine have been halted as the shipyard cited difficulties in reconstituting another pre-delivery trials team.

The Indian naval delegation is to present a report on the induction of the submarine following the accidental triggering off of a fire fighting system on board the submarine which killed 20 shipyard personnel and Russian crewmen during sea trials in November last year. The delegation will also lay flowers on the wreath of the dead shipyard workers and naval crew.

Navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta recently expressed confidence that the navy would induct the Nerpa on time. The submarine is being leased to the Indian Navy as the Chakra for a ten year lease under a $ 650 million deal signed in January 2004. The submarine was to be earlier inducted on August 15 last year but delayed due to technical glitches.

http://www.indiatoday.intoday.in/in...view&id=27811&sectionid=4&issueid=92&Itemid=1

Also, the last I heard they redid the contract and so India will lease the subs and there is no option to buy it at the end. However, it is widely speculated that they will redo it to include the option to buy the subs.

rock45

Founding Member/ RIP our friend
Indian Training

Not sure if this is the correct thread but I think if falls under the Indian Navy so I'll try it.

I saw a few days ago that India may build carries themselves and was wondering if any feed back was given by the Indian pilots training in the US?

Seeing how MIG can be a little untimely in their K Fulcrums deliveries and carrier itself isn't moving along so quickly either, I was interested if the Indian pilots came back and said the US Navy training/setup is the route to go?

The Hornet in general are is a very proven platform and the Indian pilots who were trained could in theory become trainers.

Were the pilots sent to the US for carrier training were they Navy or Air Force personnel? I'm asking because India's Navy wouldn't have had trained Fulcrums pilots already right? So naval personnel would have been Harrier pilots or transferred Air Force pilots.

Thanks

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
rock simple answer IN does not have CATOBAR which is used l not be as useful

bhramos

Country flag
hi i dont no weather its usefull are not but Russian art design is superb.
when i first saw the image before the refit, i felt its a peice of junk.
but know after seeing its image. i felt in love with it.
but dont know anything about performance and anything else.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Yep, before the refit it did look like a hulk of rotting steel... but after the refit, they have done a marvellous job with it.... The specs seem decent, but the only problem is that it will carry a total of about 20 aircraft (including helicopters)... So, its punching power will be limited compared to the IAC, IMHO....

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal...in-two-years-indian-navy-chief_100173319.html

Russian carrier to arrive in two years: Indian Navy chief
March 30th, 2009 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS

Panaji, March 30 (IANS) Despite “small monetary issues”, the Indian Navy will receive the Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov within two years, a top military commander said Monday.
“We hope to have the ship in the next two years. There are certain small monetary issues which are being tackled by the government,” Indian Navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta said.

EnlightenedMonk

INS Vikramaditya delivery in 2012: Indian Navy Chief

India is likely to take delivery of the long-delayed INS Vikramaditya (ex- Admiral Gorshkov\) aircraft carrier by 2012, according to Indian Navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta. He indicated that the matter was on track and only some ''small monetary issues'' needed to be resolved.

''We hope to have the ship in the next two years. There are certain small monetary issues which are being tackled by the government,'' the admiral said on the sidelines of a function organised by Goa Shipyard Limited in the Goa port town of Vasco.

Adm Mehta said that the process of the carrier's transfer was ''progressing satisfactorily''.

The function marked the launch of the largest Indian-built offshore patrol vessel INS Saryu,

Meanwhile in Russia, media reports have quoted Anatoly Isaikin, CEO of Rosoboronexport Corporation, the Russian arms export monopoly, as saying, "Negotiations are currently underway about the setting up of delivery in 2012 and finalising increasing cost of warship."

Isaikin said the Indians understood that the initial price quoted was obviously low and should be revised upwards.

The 44-thousand ton Kiev-class carrier Admiral Gorshkov, was originally meant for induction as INS Vikramaditya in the Indian Navy in August 2008.

The Rosoboronexport official attributed the massive slippage in the project to the deal being signed hastily without proper technical and economic calculations.

''However, this money was not enough (to complete the work). This is also a lesson for us,'' Isaikin told government daily 'Rossiskaya Gazeta'.

According to Isaikin, half the work had been completed and an Indian naval team was supervising the work.

Earlier, a spokesman of Severodvinsk-based SevMash shipyard said that India has made some advance payment pending the final price negotiations and the work was at full swing.

India and Russia had signed a $1.5 billion deal for the Adm Gorshkov carrier, subsequently renamed INS Vikramaditya, in 2005. Of this amount, some $900 million was meant for retrofitting the ship and the remaining was to pay for a squadron of MiG-29K fighters that were to be deployed onboard the ship.

Admiral Gorshkov had been mothballed after a crippling blaze in 1995.

Citing unforeseen expenses, Russia unilaterally raised the price of the refurbishment to $1.2 billion and subsequently to $2.9 billion. The two sides have met repeatedly to resolve the issue.

Adm Mehta also spoke of a long-term plan to strengthen the Indian Navy. ''We are looking at a fleet of 160 warships and 300 aircraft by 2022,'' he said.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
They have lost credibility, I agree with you on that but they remain one of our strongest allies. If nothing else they helped us during the cold war and India owes them for that
I agree with that. USSR was our major support during the cold war. It used it's veto in India's support innumerable times, helped out in 1971 by threatening China, supplied us the military hardware at prices we could afford on easy term et al.

I remember having read that the latest arms dispatches to India (that were not yet shared with even Warsaw pact countries) were cleared directly by their Polit Bureau on fast track. India did have a special relationship and I think both countries should value that. The current relationship may be more hard nosed from both sides, it takes nothing away from the special relationship of yesterday.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Yep, before the refit it did look like a hulk of rotting steel... but after the refit, they have done a marvellous job with it.... The specs seem decent, but the only problem is that it will carry a total of about 20 aircraft (including helicopters)... So, its punching power will be limited compared to the IAC, IMHO....
I think that is more than enough fleet of aircraft for fleet defense. The only thing I need to know is what missile will the MIG 29K carry...I meant AShM

EnlightenedMonk

Yep, in case we need some more powerful missiles, I guess we can always get the Anti Shipping Brahmos fitted onto the Su-30MKI starting 2012...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles