INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

pmaitra

yeah? give further source.
I trust the words of Mr. Oleg Kuleshov.

My Blog? )))),

It is a beautiful ship! Russian pity that he now belongs to India. (((((. It has excellent maneuverability!! Our aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov weaker. I believe that you are lucky! You have a beautiful aircraft carrier!!!!!

youngindian

Country flag
New Carrier Steaming to India Without Air Defense System

NEW DELHI — After a five-year delay in acquiring a Russian aircraft carrier, the Indian Navy will have to wait further before the vessel is equipped with its proposed air defense system.

The Indo-Israeli joint project for the Long Range Surface to Air Missile (LRSAM) system for the carrier has been hit by technical snags, meaning the Admiral Gorshkov, now renamed Vikramaditya, which was formally received by Defence Minister A.K. Antony Nov. 15, will arrive in India without an air defense system. The system is based on the Israeli Barak missile.

An Indian Navy official admitted the carrier initially will have no air defense system. The carrier, however, will have an advanced electronic warfare jamming system and will be protected as part of a carrier group, the official added. It also will be equipped with an AK-630 rapid-fire gun system to destroy incoming missiles and aircraft.

"The main weaponry of the ship would be the ship-based aircraft, i.e. aircraft and helicopters with their integral weapons," an Indian Navy spokesman, P.V. Satish, told Defense News.

However, a Navy source said the weaponization would include the fitting of a variety of guns, primarily of 20mm and 30mm.

The LRSAM, which is being jointly developed by India's Defence Research and Development Organisation and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), is facing technical snags, an Indian Navy spokesman said, but gave no details. The joint development program was conceived in 2007, and LRSAM was to be ready for the Vikramaditya in 2014.

The LRSAM will have a multifunctional acquisition radar, one 3-D S-band guidance radar, one command-and-control system and four launchers, each carrying eight missiles.

IAI can independently install an air defense system, but there have been disputes regarding technology transfer.

The Indian Defence Ministry said it has expressed its concern to Israel about the delay. IAI executives here declined to comment

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
With after-burner take off on skiejump how much fuel is lost compared to the cattapult take off?

ladder

Country flag
Hindustan Shipyard Limited's bollard tugs to berth INS Vikramaditya
VISAKHAPATNAM: When the $2.3 billion aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya eventually makes its way to the naval base on the Arabian Sea, the Port City located on the Bay of Bengal will have plenty of reason to be proud as three 50-T BP (Bollard Pull) tugs manufactured by the Hindustan Shipyard Limited (HSL) will be waiting to berth the mammoth warship at the naval base at Karwar.

According to sources, the 50-T BP tugs are extremely important as they are needed to tow the mammoth 44,500-tonne warship to the berth. While the aircraft carrier will take nearly two months before it reaches the naval base at Karwar, HSL sources said that two of the three 50-T BP tugs will set sail from the east coast by around November 22. The third tug will make its way from Vizag to assist in berthing INS Vikramaditya by the end of December.

Confirming this, HSL chairman and managing director Rear admiral N K Mishra said, "One of the tugs is undergoing sea trials on Saturday and the other one will undergo trials in a couple of days. During the sea trials, they will undergo complete tests, including speed, endurance and fuel trials. The full ship will be tested out in extreme conditions."

Explaining the importance of the tugs, he said, "Whenever there is a huge ship, the tugs usually assist them by being placed in the front and the back. The tugs are used to control the huge ship depending on the wind and tide conditions."

Noting that the work on tugs was completed within the last 3 months, he said, "We have kept our promise of delivering the tugs despite a lot of disruptions due to the 60-day Samaikyandhra strike and the 48-hour power outage. This was followed by Cyclone Phailin and after that there were eight days of unprecedented rains. But we have ensured that the work completes on time."

He said that dock trials have been completed for two tugs and one of them has been taken to mid-sea for trials. Mishra said that nearly 120 contract workers and 50 departmental staff have been working overtime to ensure that the tugs are delivered in time.

According to reports, the 284-metre long warship will house MiG-29K naval combat aircraft along with Kamov 31 and Kamov 28 anti-submarine warfare and maritime surveillance helicopters.
Hindustan Shipyard Limited's bollard tugs to berth INS Vikramaditya - Times Of India

pmaitra

happy

Notes from the Vikramaditya

An RIR correspondent shares her impressions after visiting the Indian Navy's flagship aircraft carrier.

Under a gray November sky and piercing wind, I am approaching the fitting quay where the aircraft carrier Vikramaditya is stationed. It's a unique experience for me as a journalist to get on board the ship that has become one of the symbols of Indo-Russian defence cooperation.

Close to us is the Sevmash factory and huge workshops, where the famous Akula class submarines were produced in the past. One such unit is currently being used for producing the Bulava missiles. We see the gate of the basin through which the Vikramaditya passed on its way to the open seas. The width of the gate is just enough for the aircraft carrier to pass, so this is where its first test began.

A group of marines are lined along the quay rehearsing for the ceremony of transferring the ship to India.
Here it is: its huge contour is sharply cut against the skyline. Even anchored in the docks, it looks regal and exudes silent power with its 45,000 tonne displacement capacity, and more than 2000 rooms. In motion it must look like a floating island.

I slowly walk up the ladder and get inside this ship-story, ship-symbol of Indo-Russian friendship, which builds on patience, perseverance and a great amount work.

Roman Khviyuzov, commissioning mechanic of Vikramaditya, shows us around the aircraft carrier.

It was loud and hectic inside the ship. A chorus of Russian and Indian voices shouting commands, making last- minute checks, polishing and finalizing the preparatory works! I climbed one set of stairs and then another, pass long corridors careful not to bump into several crew members running along the corridor rehearsing evacuation procedure or not to touch a fresh coat of paint.

One of the most vivid impressions was the flight control room. The place has a magical feel about it. A friendly senior Indian naval officer Gowtham who took us around the place said there are normally just two officers who give pilots permission to land on the flight deck. It is mindboggling just to imagine that there are just two persons carrying such a load of responsibility on their shoulders.

After being shown the screens displaying the temperature and humidity and being explained where the colour signals authorizing the landing are coming from, I leave in awe the flight control room with its intriguing equipment.

Continued ..............

happy

The flight deck was so spacious that it gave it me a sense of being in a desert although there were a good number of people scurrying along the deck preparing it for the grand event. I could easily picture the airplanes taking off and landing on the three runways.

The machinery section is bustling with work but the staff working there stopped to talk to us. What a thrill it was to see with my own eyes the perfectly repaired boilers that were damaged during the full steam tests! "Now they are in full working order," I was assured by Yuri Razdobudko, brigadier of constructors of one of the machines. I was even allowed to hold in my hands a fire-resistant brick (they are used for thermal protection of the boilers)!

On leaving the ship, I thought it exuded a warm feeling despite its intimidating size and impressive looks, thanks to the friendliness and feeling of camaraderie among the crew.

Vikramaditya, we wish you good luck on your journey to India!

Notes from the Vikramaditya | Russia & India Report

rojesh

It will be a big challenge to run this ship, cables are not protected there is no proper cable tray. What a shabby job. Just wondering how much does a new A/C of this size will cost.

ninja85

dont take it wrong. But these are best when EMP hit you. Plus it keeps the crew in toes, as they have to keep checking all the dials, way better then two guys sitting on computer and looking on all digital data.
but this rises other issue------"WE DON'T HAVE EMP BUT OTHERS DOES??? ARRR..HHH...........".:scared2:

ninja85

Plus it keeps the crew in toes, as they have to keep checking all the dials, way better then two guys sitting on computer and looking on all digital data.
still what's wrong with automation or digitization,

keeping the crew on toes could create fatigues,errors,mistakes may be silly ones,

it may be better that two guys just by sitting on computers doing 7 or more guys work all just by clicking,pushing buttons,reduces need or dependency of more guys in emergency.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles