INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I think i well aware of Indian media, there is no further news either ..

Gives us good insight into the authentication..

Just Me

I don't think the absence is good sign, further delay is well in order, the October delivery won't be achieved
==========================================

i only see your post as a way to hit back, I see her come by End of year 2013, The Oct 2013 dead line will be met. I dont hink Russia can afford any more delays...

natarajan

navy chief himself says last quarter of 2013 and we are going with asbestoes

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
1.Navy Chief said, It will take 100 days for INS Vikramaditya to sail from Russia to here

2.According to Ship yard previous report, Ship is ready by January..

3. According to another report, INS Vikramaditya was suppose to receive CIWS of 8 X Kashtan and may be Barak-1 in addition..

4. So in summer this Ship is suppose to updated with CIWS..

5. INS Vikramaditya was suppose to go back to yard for the up-gradation of CIWS, But She need not to coz She will get all and come to India as a Complete CV..

------------------------------
------------------------------

In a sense this is a good move coz if we got this ship by April ( 100 days of sail from Jan ) She would be in Indian waters for sometime then she has to go to Indian Ship yard for this up-gradation, But IN decided that all the things should be sort out in Russia at once and the Ship when deploy in IN would be operational in water for long time..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Little old news but some good technical details :

==================
==================

India's New Russian Carrier Finally Goes To Sea

India operates 16 MiG-29K/KUBs delivered in 2010-2011, and has 29 more on order. None of these will be involved in the trials. Instead, operations this year will involve Russian-owned prototypes and rebuilt MiG-35s, after the latter type was eliminated from the Indian MMRCA tender. To support Navy operations, the Vikramaditya has been fitted with a 14-degree ski ramp and three arrestor cables. The ship's hangar is 420 feet long, 82 feet wide and 23 feet high and can store up to 34 MiGs and Kamovs.
India's New Russian Carrier Finally Goes To Sea | Aviation International News

-------------------

So, Vikramaditya can hold 34 MIG-29 inside and additional 15 outside at Maximum strength..

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
n

did you visit the hangar and tested placing Migs in the hangar before surmising.? Get a grip man on your thinking.
Plzzz, the hanger of Gorshkov doesn't even come close to the CdG so it couldn't possibly hold as many aircraft, much less more.

Abhi9

Country flag
Uh, not even close. Try half that.
n

ships hangar area 820ftx 82ft= 34,440 ftsquare

Mig 29 k dimensions with folded wings is 26ft and length is 60ft( i have taken it in a relaxed configuration maintaining a safe distance between two planes( exact dimensions are wingspan- 25inches 7 inches and length is 57.7 feet)

so total no of mig-29k is (hangar area divided by/area occupied by each aircraft) height is irrelevant in staking aircraft.with only one hangar level.

34,440/(26x60)=22

which is modest

Again the aircraft in hangar are stacked like two inverted delta or may be some other config which navy seems best of them, in that case the aircraft no.might be higher.

But that only when aircraft is parked with helicopters it might be different or Less

Last edited:

Abhi9

Country flag

It can hold atleast 10 on deck further 18-20 in basement in certain situations if deemed necessary

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
n

ships hangar area 820ftx 82ft= 34,440 ftsquare

Mig 29 k dimensions with folded wings is 26ft and length is 60ft( i have taken it in a relaxed configuration maintaining a safe distance between two planes( exact dimensions are wingspan- 25inches 7 inches and length is 57.7 feet)

so total no of mig-29k is (hangar area divided by/area occupied by each aircraft) height is irrelevant in staking aircraft.with only one hangar level.

34,440/(26x60)=22

which is modest

Again the aircraft in hangar are stacked like two inverted delta or may be some other config which navy seems best of them, in that case the aircraft no.might be higher.

But that only when aircraft is parked with helicopters it might be different or Less

Unless you are moving them on a graphic, you aren't going to get an idea. You also have to position them so they can be hauled to the single elevator rated for it. The forward lift only rates for helicopters. There is little maneuver room.

Abhi9

Country flag

Unless you are moving them on a graphic, you aren't going to get an idea. You also have to position them so they can be hauled to the single elevator rated for it. The forward lift only rates for helicopters. There is little maneuver room.
I know that. I dont agree that it can hold 34 aircraft in the Hangar, that is kind of impossible given the dimensions of the aircraft.But to an extent it can hold atleast 18 given that you have excluded the area for elevators, maintenance equipment, moving equipment.

But to some extent that maximum capability is always classified.

Last edited:

Decklander

Vikramaditya will have a war compliment of 24 Mig-29K, 6 Ka-32, 4 Seaking and 4 Chetaks.

p2prada

Yes they can carry NLCA.
From what's been mentioned in the media the complement will be 12 Mig-29Ks, 2 or 4 KUBs (maybe not), 10 helis and a small complement of LCAs for a total of ~30 aircraft.

That's why the initial order for only 16 Mig-29Ks.

The second order for 29 Mig-29Ks are meant for IAC-1, that's the complement you mentioned, ~40 aircraft. 24+10.

So, 1 squadron of Ks for Gorky and 2 squadrons of Ks for IAC-1.

Then there could be a small fleet (maybe half a squadron) meant for INS Baaz at Campbell Bay. So, a mix of N-LCAs and Mig-29Ks will see service on both carriers. Of course, we do not have any idea on how the ratio will be managed. But, I guess we will at best see half a squadron of LCAs on both ships and none at worst.

Decklander

From what's been mentioned in the media the complement will be 12 Mig-29Ks, 2 or 4 KUBs (maybe not), 10 helis and a small complement of LCAs for a total of ~30 aircraft.

That's why the initial order for only 16 Mig-29Ks.

The second order for 29 Mig-29Ks are meant for IAC-1, that's the complement you mentioned, ~40 aircraft. 24+10.

So, 1 squadron of Ks for Gorky and 2 squadrons of Ks for IAC-1.

Then there could be a small fleet (maybe half a squadron) meant for INS Baaz at Campbell Bay. So, a mix of N-LCAs and Mig-29Ks will see service on both carriers. Of course, we do not have any idea on how the ratio will be managed. But, I guess we will at best see half a squadron of LCAs on both ships and none at worst.
Indian Navy has a system of war time UE and Peacetime UE. Unit Establish (UE) is the sanctioned strength of ac of a sqn for peace and war. I mentioned war compliment of Vikramaditya. IAC-1 will have a bit more capacity as it is slightly broader than Vikramaditya and inspite of being about 21 meters short, its has better deck space management for ac ops. IAC-1 is a proper carrier design unlike Vikramaditya which is a conversion of cruiser to carrier.
IN is also tasked for protection of shore and off shore assets so we will have a fighter fleet of nearly 90 Mig-29K/KUBs in four sqns and two sqns of NLCA and two of N-MMCA. by 2022 when we will be oparating three carriers. Besides IAF sqns which are now tasked for protection of Bombay High and Mumbai plus other such assets along the coast line will be replaced by IN sqns. So we are looking at nearly a naval fighter fleet of 180 ac by 2022 also you must realise that we need ac to replace Sea Harriers.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
IN is also tasked for protection of shore and off shore assets so we will have a fighter fleet of nearly 90 Mig-29K/KUBs in four sqns and two sqns of NLCA and two of N-MMCA. by 2022 when we will be oparating three carriers.
Any idea (just a gross one will do) :
1. IAC-2 will be Nuclear Powered or Conventional (like QE class with Electric Propulsion).
2. EMALS or Steam Catapult .
3. F-35C or Rafale-M/F-18E/F.

Any chance IN many collaborate with USAN for a package deal for F-18SH + E2D + EMALS ? :)
and finally what are your thoughts about IN Amphibious Ship deal, will it be a LHD or LPD ? (link : India Looking for Amphibious Ships) :confused:

If LHD we may see F-35B in Indian Navy :hmm:

:hail: @Decklander

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles