INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

Decklander

Any idea (just a gross one will do) :
1. IAC-2 will be Nuclear Powered or Conventional (like QE class with Electric Propulsion).
2. EMALS or Steam Catapult .
3. F-35C or Rafale-M/F-18E/F.

Any chance IN many collaborate with USAN for a package deal for F-18SH + E2D + EMALS ? :)
and finally what are your thoughts about IN Amphibious Ship deal, will it be a LHD or LPD ? (link : India Looking for Amphibious Ships) :confused:

If LHD we may see F-35B in Indian Navy :hmm:

:hail: @Decklander
IAC-2 propulsion system has still not been finalised. IN is pushing for all electric nuke propulsion.
EMALS is favoured but if USN does not share the tech, than it will be steam cat. But CATOBAR for IAC-2 is final.
No F-35.
A total of four LPDs are planned for procurement. IN plans to have very agile amphi force on lines of USN Expeditionary force type quick reaction forces capable of embarking a full brigade with all its associated equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:

p2prada

IN is also tasked for protection of shore and off shore assets so we will have a fighter fleet of nearly 90 Mig-29K/KUBs in four sqns and two sqns of NLCA and two of N-MMCA. by 2022 when we will be oparating three carriers. Besides IAF sqns which are now tasked for protection of Bombay High and Mumbai plus other such assets along the coast line will be replaced by IN sqns. So we are looking at nearly a naval fighter fleet of 180 ac by 2022 also you must realise that we need ac to replace Sea Harriers.
This is interesting. Current orders for Mig-29s stand at 45. So, are you saying there will be a second order for 45? Just wanted to point out this is not in the media, if true.

About the N-MRCA, there was a report about IN sending out a RFI two years ago for 72 aircraft. Our officials were talking about a second contract for 80 aircraft after the first set of rejections happened with the IAF MRCA deal. So, that would mean a minimum of 80 N-MRCA because this is deal is highly unlikely to be a second IAF deal, won't make sense. I've heard the options are for another 72 or 80 aircraft over the initial 80.

According to what's in the media, it is 45 Mig-29K, estimated 6+41 N-LCA Mk2 and 80 N-MRCA. That's 160 fighters + option for another 80 N-MRCA(I am not sure if this is in the media yet, at least it was't there when RFI was sent out).

I wouldn't count it out so quickly. If LM participates in the contract, they have a decent chance, but I am in favor of Rafales.

But F-35s would be nice to counter whatever the Chinese decide to throw at us in a decade or two.

A total of four LPDs are planned for procurement. IN plans to have very agile amphi force on lines of USN Expeditionary force type quick reaction forces capable of embarking a full brigade with all its associated equipment.
Hmm, are you sure 4 LPDs are enough for brigade level operations or are you talking long term, with more LPD inductions?

Is IN planning on a transport fleet too?

Last edited:

p2prada

Any idea (just a gross one will do) :
2. EMALS or Steam Catapult .
EMALS may come with F-35s. That's our best shot if the Navy has the money to burn, but I suppose the ToT will be limited. Then again, ToT also depends on how many aircraft are to be made in India. If none are to be made here, the Navy deal may be less stringent compared to IAF's deal and may offer greater leeway in their choice. Or else the ToT obligation alone will favor Rafale, no point in having a tender.

Without F-35, I doubt we will ever see EMALS on the IAC-2.

Let's wait and see what the French are allowed for their own carrier. They bought steam catapults from the US, so they may do the same again, opt for the EMALS or build their own system. So, that's an option even we can consider.

Our carrier is a good decade away from being anywhere.

Decklander

There will be a follow up ordder of another 44 MIG-29Ks after Vikramaditya is delivered taking the fleet of MIG-29Ks in IN to 90 ac. +two sqns of NLCA + two sqns of N-MMRCA.
Indian Amphi fleet will have more ships of Magar class also to compliment the LPDs to be able to embark a full brigade each.
IN does not have mandate to operate Transport fleet, only maritime recce fleet.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Vikramaditya will have a war compliment of 24 Mig-29K, 6 Ka-32, 4 Seaking and 4 Chetaks.
The problem is the hanger will only hold 12 MiG-29K along with helicopter compliment. We already had a similar discussion that aircraft cannot be stored on deck in inclimate weather.

p2prada

The problem is the hanger will only hold 12 MiG-29K along with helicopter compliment. We already had a similar discussion that aircraft cannot be stored on deck in inclimate weather.
He pointed out that it is a wartime complement. So, it is realistic.

p2prada

Are you suggesting bad weather can't come during wartime? :rolleyes:
The life of the aircraft will be secondary at that point.

Nimitz class can carry 27 aircraft in the hangar. Where do you think the rest stay at?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
12 Mig-29K in hanger is discussed indeed but officially we know nothing..

It all assumed based on crude calculations..

JBH22

Indian Navy Vikramaditya Aircraft Carrier

Don't know if its a repost pls check

Last edited by a moderator:

Decklander

Are you suggesting bad weather can't come during wartime? :rolleyes:
Pls have a look at Falkland war and HMS hermes operations. The ship had more than its capacity of ac & helos embarked and the sea state will tell you that there was no problem.
Rough seas result in suspension of flight ops but the ac & Helos are tied down to the deck with 6-8 lashings and they are very safe.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
@DL...The Russian blaming us for the boilers, was it our mistake to not allow asbestos?

charlyondfi

Pls have a look at Falkland war and HMS hermes operations. The ship had more than its capacity of ac & helos embarked and the sea state will tell you that there was no problem.
Rough seas result in suspension of flight ops but the ac & Helos are tied down to the deck with 6-8 lashings and they are very safe.
Safe perhaps. But as a pilot, I would insist my ride gone through full examination before my next flight. Can hardly imagine what salt water will do in the engine...

Only in war that I learn either I risk my life or someone's life (who need my fly-over)

@DL...The Russian blaming us for the boilers, was it our mistake to not allow asbestos?
A good question I had NOT figured out, either - in the end, there is NO penalty for Russian, but India bears the re-fix cost (& time), or else? Anyone has a nailed-down answer?

redragon

Country flag
A good question I had NOT figured out, either - in the end, there is NO penalty for Russian, but India bears the re-fix cost (& time), or else? Anyone has a nailed-down answer?
IN forced Russian to accept its idea, Russian then asked IN to sign on the change and be fully responsible for the out come. IN shot its own toes, that is why IN can't ask pay back.

Decklander

IN forced Russian to accept its idea, Russian then asked IN to sign on the change and be fully responsible for the out come. IN shot its own toes, that is why IN can't ask pay back.
replcement of Asbestos with some other suitable material was asked for long long back and was part of the deal.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles