Infrastructure and Energy Sector

Concard

Country flag

What a fking disgrace this is. And this was built by L&T, the so called best construction company here. Look at the quality of this $20 billion project. Enough of this nonsense.... Someone needs to put these politicians, designers and construction company bosses and start h@nging them because nothing else will tame corruption that is at every single layer of construction, from the building materials themselves, to the DPR, actual construction etc. KCR's pet project btw. The sooner we fix this mess the better, because capex is only going up, and with this standard of pawjeet construction quality and maintenance, it is just a matter of time before a catastrophic mass casualty event occurs, on the same or bigger scale as the morbi bridge
Wasn't there murmurs of this project being ATM machine for KCR family? Once he won 2nd term his entire universe was his farm house. He was very much secluded there. He wanted center to declare this project as national project but center refused. Otherwise it would have fallen on center to shell out lakh crore for this project. This is KCR project and he is responsible for it.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
If Mumbai International terminal is how Adani works, then all hope is lost. I just travelled through the international terminal. It has become worse than a bus stand. I normally fly through Bengaluru terminals only.
Here is what I saw:
- massively crowded T2 terminal. Complete chaos with no signs. Terminal is way too small
- the white pillars corners have black smoke on them from pollution. Plants inside were dying.
- buses used for transfer from international to domestic looked like they were from the 1980s. No signs for where to get on a transfer.
- Worse thing is you have to come out of international and then catch a taxi to go to domestic. All world airports have smooth internal transfer to other gates. You don’t have to come out at all. Many have trains between terminals with very smooth transfers. It took me 1 hour to just get to the domestic terminal. Absolutely unacceptable.
- now for the really bad thing - many of the digital sign boards were not working and they stuck paper on them for signs, instructions etc. This reminded me of India we saw in 1990s.
- the terminal was dirty with people sitting everywhere like a railway station.
- duty free shops and retail stores were poor. No luxury stores whatsoever.
- officers and everyone were extra rude even to old people. No care for anyone.
- when I came out for transfer, the city was massively polluted, much more than Bengaluru, with smoke all around me.

The whole terminal looked old, badly maintained, low technology, dirty, chaotic, bad manners. Fish markets in foreign countries are more orderly and better run. What has Adani done? He has ruined it.

i can tell you that anyone flying into T2 from overseas are going to be hugely disappointed and are going to think that India is worse than poor African country. This is not going to get us high spending foreign tourists. Also, Mumbai will never become a hub for connections and an aircraft economy won’t develop. Mumbai is not going to become a high GDP area if this is the attitude. This is going to hugely affect India’s brand and image.

I will never fly into Mumbai again. Very disappointed that the airport has become trash. I am only going to fly into Delhi or bengaluru.

Physx32

Country flag
If Mumbai International terminal is how Adani works, then all hope is lost. I just travelled through the international terminal. It has become worse than a bus stand. I normally fly through Bengaluru terminals only.
Here is what I saw:
- massively crowded T2 terminal. Complete chaos with no signs. Terminal is way too small
- the white pillars corners have black smoke on them from pollution. Plants inside were dying.
- buses used for transfer from international to domestic looked like they were from the 1980s. No signs for where to get on a transfer.
- Worse thing is you have to come out of international and then catch a taxi to go to domestic. All world airports have smooth internal transfer to other gates. You don’t have to come out at all. Many have trains between terminals with very smooth transfers. It took me 1 hour to just get to the domestic terminal. Absolutely unacceptable.
- now for the really bad thing - many of the digital sign boards were not working and they stuck paper on them for signs, instructions etc. This reminded me of India we saw in 1990s.
- when I came out for transfer, the city was massively polluted, much more than Bengaluru, with smoke all around me.

The whole terminal looked old, badly maintained, low technology, dirty, chaotic, bad manners. Fish markets in foreign countries are more orderly and better run. What has Adani done? He has ruined it.

i can tell you that anyone flying into T2 from overseas are going to be hugely disappointed and are going to think that India is worse than poor African country. This is not going to get us high spending foreign tourists. Also, Mumbai will never become a hub for connections and an aircraft economy won’t develop. Mumbai is not going to become a high GDP area if this is the attitude. This is going to hugely affect India’s brand and image.

I will never fly into Mumbai again. Very disappointed that the airport has become trash. I am only going to fly into Delhi or bengaluru.
Mumbai T2 is arguably the best airport in India, wtf are you saying? You're comparing T2 to a railway station? Do you even know what a railway station looks like here?

Bangalore T2 maybe seem better as it's new and shiny, but only time will tell how good it's service actually is.

And Delhi T3 has become a joke. The security check-in is a nightmare (I once got stuck for 3 hrs last year), and gets crowded easily (mainly due to lack of baskets before the x-ray machines). GMR is still using manual labour to move a few baskets at a time instead of automated conveyor machines. At least Mumbai T2 uses a proper conveyor system.

karn

Country flag
Mumbai T2 is arguably the best airport in India, wtf are you saying? You're comparing T2 to a railway station? Do you even know what a railway station looks like here?

Bangalore T2 maybe seem better as it's new and shiny, but only time will tell how good it's service actually is.

And Delhi T3 has become a joke. The security check-in is a nightmare (I once got stuck for 3 hrs last year), and gets crowded easily (mainly due to lack of baskets before the x-ray machines). GMR is still using manual labour to move a few baskets at a time instead of automated conveyor machines. At least Mumbai T2 uses a proper conveyor system.
I forget which one it was ...but one of the Mumbai airport terminals is a certifiable bus stand ... Not the international that one is just epic .

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag

T2 is a total railway station. The conveyor bins were dirty and sticky from overuse. People were sitting on the floor due to not enough gates and seating capacity. Digital kiosks were too few. The transfer process was a nightmare. Officers were wearing dirty clothes and shout at everyone as if they owned the airport. Bengaluru is a lot cleaner and more digital. Certainly they don’t have paper stuck on failed digital boards. Much more green open spaces. Signs are good and international to domestic transfer is smooth. No way T2 is the best terminal in India. It is congested and airport management extremely unprofessional. Bengaluru staff were a lot more professional. I was astonished by how much pollution has affected the airport interiors. All AC vents were covered with black residue. Plants were not maintained and dying. Walkalators were only working in some sections. I flew in from Istanbul airport. The difference between Istanbul and Mumbai is night and day. I was truly shocked at how far the Mumbai airport standards have fallen.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag

Ya'll Nibbiars both the IGI and the CSMIA are planned to undergo major refurbishment by the MGAPL and the PKDA respectively, so the most existing problems will be rectified now. While the refurbished T3 will emphasize on more retail development with aome improved access, the T2 will emphasize on more Biopholic and greenery development along with improved log in and access while keeping the security.

I forget which one it was ...but one of the Mumbai airport terminals is a certifiable bus stand ... Not the international that one is just epic .
Ya'll Nibbiars The All T1 are approved to go redevelopment soon.

Last edited:

Physx32

Country flag
He's talking about T2, the international terminal. The old T1 (used by Indigo, Spicejet, etc) is a bus stand.
T2 is a total railway station. The conveyor bins were dirty and sticky from overuse. People were sitting on the floor due to not enough gates and seating capacity. Digital kiosks were too few. The transfer process was a nightmare. Officers were wearing dirty clothes and shout at everyone as if they owned the airport. Bengaluru is a lot cleaner and more digital. Certainly they don’t have paper stuck on failed digital boards. Much more green open spaces. Signs are good and international to domestic transfer is smooth. No way T2 is the best terminal in India. It is congested and airport management extremely unprofessional. Bengaluru staff were a lot more professional. I was astonished by how much pollution has affected the airport interiors. All AC vents were covered with black residue. Plants were not maintained and dying. Walkalators were only working in some sections. I flew in from Istanbul airport. The difference between Istanbul and Mumbai is night and day. I was truly shocked at how far the Mumbai airport standards have fallen.
I flew from Mumbai T2 just last month. Everything you said is completely blown out of proportion.

Look, I agree that our maintenance is poor compared to more developed countries, but you can't call them railway stations or bus stands. I think Adani, GMR, GVK, AAI need to work with the operator of Singapore Changi airport (which is a government owned BTW) to sort out the maintenance issues.

Bangalore T2 looked good to you cuz it's brand new. Wait for 5 years and see how they maintain it.

As for transfer process, you need to experience the hell at Delhi T3. If Mumbai T2 looks like a bus stand to you, what will you say about Delhi T3 lol?

And seriously, Delhi T3 needs a major renovation.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
He's talking about T2, the international terminal. The old T1 (used by Indigo, Spicejet, etc) is a bus stand.

I flew from Mumbai T2 just last month. Everything you said is completely blown out of proportion.

Look, I agree that our maintenance is poor compared to more developed countries, but you can't call them railway stations or bus stands. I think Adani, GMR, GVK, AAI need to work with the operator of Singapore Changi airport (which is a government owned BTW) to sort out the maintenance issues.

Bangalore T2 looked good to you cuz it's brand new. Wait for 5 years and see how they maintain it.

As for transfer process, you need to experience the hell at Delhi T3. If Mumbai T2 looks like a bus stand to you, what will you say about Delhi T3 lol?

And seriously, Delhi T3 needs a major renovation.
T2 Mumbai issue is its capacity is small for the number of people there. So it becomes crowded and unmanageable. No way you can have a transfer process like in Mumbai T2. It is a shame. At BLR, you dont have to come out of the airport at all. It is smooth and convenient. It is not the maintenance but the size of the terminals. We are not building very large terminals with ultra modern luxury in them. International terminals must be gleaming with ultra modern conveniences and latest technologies.

Reviews on Skytrax for all Indian airports are poor. Most of them point to capacity issues, lack of facilities and inconvenient transfers. We have to invest massively in infrastructure. The world is moving ahead. We have to realize that people are expecting world class infrastructure in india now.

Physx32

Country flag
T2 Mumbai issue is its capacity is small for the number of people there. So it becomes crowded and unmanageable.
This is a completely different issue. That's why NMIA is being built to reduce the congestion. Still, T2 is relatively better compared to the crowds at Delhi T3 or Kolkata.
No way you can have a transfer process like in Mumbai T2. It is a shame. At BLR, you dont have to come out of the airport at all.
To transfer from Bangalore T2 to T1, you need to come outside and take a shuttle bus (just like Delhi and Mumbai). Still, this kind of solution is a disgrace. What we need is an APM connecting all the terminals.
We are not building very large terminals with ultra modern luxury in them. International terminals must be gleaming with ultra modern conveniences and latest technologies.
NMIA will be that airport which you're looking for. It's connected to Mumbai through MTHL, so it'll make an excellent impression on guests visiting the city.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
This is a completely different issue. That's why NMIA is being built to reduce the congestion. Still, T2 is relatively better compared to the crowds at Delhi T3 or Kolkata.

To transfer from Bangalore T2 to T1, you need to come outside and take a shuttle bus (just like Delhi and Mumbai). Still, this kind of solution is a disgrace. What we need is an APM connecting all the terminals.

NMIA will be that airport which you're looking for. It's connected to Mumbai through MTHL, so it'll make an excellent impression on guests visiting the city.
No. I just flew to BLR and then to Lucknow. The transfer was internal with an internal gate. Did not have to go outside at all. My recent trip was to Turkey and Greece. Now Athens airport is very old (Istanbul is huge with a gleaming modern terminal) but I found the retail shop selections, sign boards, transfers - all super smooth. Officers were nice and tourists help was super. Athens airport also has some peeling panels but overall was very clean, organized, quickly transfer etc.
It is not how the design of the terminal is or how new - it is how the information, services , digitization, behavior and clean facilities are, even if the terminal is old.
You simply cannot have non-functioning digital boards and stick paper on it and write instructions on it. The trays cannot be old and sticky. There cannot be chaos in an international terminal. People are not bothered whether the building is old or new or has art or not. When I go to the US, the US airports have no art and the terminals are old, but the movement is orderly and efficient. Everything is clear as to where to go, what needs to be done.
Our airports do not send a message of a vikasit bharat. And that we are on the way to having world class behavior and services at our airport. Better change or get mocked globally.

sameer3694

Here is what I saw:

That's just wild exaggeration. I literally flew out from T2 Mumbai couple of days ago, it is nowhere as bad as you claim. Cannot comment on T1 as I've never flown in/out of there, but T2 is definitely not some fish market lol. There were automated check in gates, self service baggage drops, signage was also OK, all moving walkways were working. In fact I've always preferred Mumbai T2 over Delhi's T3. Overcapacity is a problem which is why many flights have been canceled at Mumbai recently. Mind you both are dated over a decade and the new airports coming up NMIA and Jowar airport should fix the congestion, transport and other issues.

Look, It definitely wont be able to compete with East asian, Singapore and other top airports, but it's way better than most American airports and African airports(only been to Kenya and Nigeria) and its better than both.

The only issues for me were security and exit immigration which take a long time and can be improved. I didn't feel any congestion as my plane was departing at 12AM, though the Terminal does appear cramped(could be due to the architecture/design) and is not airy/roomy and can become congested in peak hours. Duty free is indeed small, but I won't break my bangles over it, doesn't matter that much to me. If you really want to try some railway station like airports, try JFK new york, it's the worst and dated airport I've ever been to. In fact most US airports are like third world.

This is a fast developing country but it is still a 2.6K Gdp per capita economy. Airports and other things will get better over the next 5-10 years. So learn to moderate your expectations. Don't do the typical NRI crying.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
That's just wild exaggeration. I literally flew out from T2 Mumbai couple of days ago, it is nowhere as bad as you claim. Cannot comment on T1 as I've never flown in/out of there, but T2 is definitely not some fish market lol. There were automated check in gates, self service baggage drops, signage was also OK, all moving walkways were working. In fact I've always preferred Mumbai T2 over Delhi's T3. Overcapacity is a problem which is why many flights have been canceled at Mumbai recently. Mind you both are dated over a decade and the new airports coming up NMIA and Jowar airport should fix the congestion, transport and other issues.

Look, It definitely wont be able to compete with East asian, Singapore and other top airports, but it's way better than most American airports and African airports(only been to Kenya and Nigeria) and its better than both.

The only issues for me were security and exit immigration which take a long time and can be improved. I didn't feel any congestion as my plane was departing at 12AM, though the Terminal does appear cramped(could be due to the architecture/design) and is not airy/roomy and can become congested in peak hours. Duty free is indeed small, but I won't break my bangles over it, doesn't matter that much to me. If you really want to try some railway station like airports, try JFK new york, it's the worst and dated airport I've ever been to. In fact most US airports are like third world.

This is a fast developing country but it is still a 2.6K Gdp per capita economy. Airports and other things will get better over the next 5-10 years. So learn to moderate your expectations. Don't do the typical NRI crying.
Actually when I landed at Mumbai T2 and walked from the gate, the travelators were only working here and there. Old people were told that they had no buggies or wheelchairs available and so I they sat at the gate unable to move. I am not expecting a gleaming terminal. I know that we are still a poor country.
But what does it cost to keep the airport orderly, digital signs working, proper transfers to domestic, clean trays, polite officers wearing clean clothes, assistance desks etc?
Like I said the Greek airport was very old - like the old Mumbai terminal-still everything was pleasant, neat and clean. How can a private airport have non-working digital signs and do jugaad by sticking paper on them? How can a private airport not even maintain plants (some were dying) and have black smoke and dirt around AC vents? How can a private airport not even have good shopping options and food in an international terminal?
I am not comparing Mumbai to any top airport even. The terminal standards are behind even 2nd grade airports. Istanbul for example handles three times Mumbai’s passenger load (it has 5 runways with a sixth one being built) but they have a single, large terminal which is ultra modern, orderly, gleaming with excellent transfer mechanisms, food courts, shopping and relaxation options. Digital signage and kiosks was state-of-the-art. Istanbul also has two other airports bringing a total of 10 runways and adequate terminal capacity to handle all the 90-95 million passengers, 50% of them international connecting to a huge number of destinations.
We are not investing enough in infrastructure even in main cities. We are not building it quickly to service the rapid expansion of air, rail, road traffic. And the real bad thing is the behaviors of staff is rotten despite being private terminals. Maintenance is bad.

omaebakabaka

Actually when I landed at Mumbai T2 and walked from the gate, the travelators were only working here and there. Old people were told that they had no buggies or wheelchairs available and so I they sat at the gate unable to move. I am not expecting a gleaming terminal. I know that we are still a poor country.
But what does it cost to keep the airport orderly, digital signs working, proper transfers to domestic, clean trays, polite officers wearing clean clothes, assistance desks etc?
Like I said the Greek airport was very old - like the old Mumbai terminal-still everything was pleasant, neat and clean. How can a private airport have non-working digital signs and do jugaad by sticking paper on them? How can a private airport not even maintain plants (some were dying) and have black smoke and dirt around AC vents? How can a private airport not even have good shopping options and food in an international terminal?
I am not comparing Mumbai to any top airport even. The terminal standards are behind even 2nd grade airports. Istanbul for example handles three times Mumbai’s passenger load (it has 5 runways with a sixth one being built) but they have a single, large terminal which is ultra modern, orderly, gleaming with excellent transfer mechanisms, food courts, shopping and relaxation options. Digital signage and kiosks was state-of-the-art. Istanbul also has two other airports bringing a total of 10 runways and adequate terminal capacity to handle all the 90-95 million passengers, 50% of them international connecting to a huge number of destinations.
We are not investing enough in infrastructure even in main cities. We are not building it quickly to service the rapid expansion of air, rail, road traffic. And the real bad thing is the behaviors of staff is rotten despite being private terminals. Maintenance is bad.
Our customers and service providers are made in heaven match, just saw a flight from India to Singapore trashed like a foot path by Indians by the time it landed in Changi. Just no words, same people sit on company boards, planning and politics, they will never think beyond immediate selfish interest. Forget leaving room to expand any infrastructure and even if they do our public will trash it in no time and providers wont hire people that take their job seriously and maintain it. I am very pessimistic when it comes to execution from India where public are customers unlike ports and industry where direct interaction is minimal. Lot of duty free is useless anyway with more buddha statues than buddhists in India (wtf) like we have no history of our own.....dollars prices piss poor food is a norm with piss like coffee costing close to 200 Rs.

Sorry, no amount of GDP will bring improvements as attitude is primary problem from top to bottom with majority uncivilized filth thriving in democracy that is barely beneficial. Same idiots work in Dubai but look at how they take their jobs seriously there from rest rooms to airports and hospitals.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles