India's own AESA Radars....dream to reality

Archer

Country flag
The land based AEW&C prototype radar.

View attachment 7518View attachment 7518
LONG RANGE SOILD STATE ACTIVE PHASED ARRAY RADAR

Salient Features
Radar Detection Range : 200 Km for 2 m2 target (Normal Mode)
300 Km for 2 m2 target (Extended Mode)
Electonic Scanning : +600 in Azimuth
Azimuth Beamwidth : 10 (Receive) : 0.660 (Transmit)
Elevation Beamwidth : 8.50
Resolution : 200 m in Range, 1.50 in Azimuth
Accuracy : 50m in Range, 0.50 in Azimuth, 10 in Elevation

Archer

Country flag
Well I have very little knowledge about AESA radar.However what I do know is that 4D means something which has length,breadth,height and time coordinates in it.In our normal operations we use 3D system which does not have time in it,4D has time element in it.Well that is all I know about 4D.I maybe wrong as I am not 100% sure so do cross check it .
Doppler velocity is also displayed for each target. This helps prioritize targets more intuitively.
4D target information (3D position plus speed).

Archer

Country flag
Shipone, take anything Sengupta says with a barrelful of skepticism. Apart from his brochures, he just cooks up stories.

Arudhra is both the name of the IAF MPR program and DRDO's in-house MPR effort.

DRDO's in-house effort is not the EL/M-2084 but a brand new, ab-initio one which began several years back. IAF insisted on a fully developed local AESA. Its headed for user trials this year.

The designation for the category, same as DRDO uses is Medium Power Radar. Also rotating S Band AESA.

funny...some MOD began to play double standard game again , you'd better pay more attention to the FACTs than my nationality which would bring more healthy and constructive disscussion here...To be honest, I thought I'm accepting and collecting the same news, reports, and information as you, and I have some good memory and From time to time, I would find some 'conflict' between the news and info...what I did is to point out the 'conflict' to find what is the truth, nothing more...you miss the point.

as Prasun K. Sengupta (Trishul Blogger) said. Seeing Is Believing

-------------------

1. you are quoting the pix from the same BLOG site ---Trishul.... that would be very ironic, and should I search your 23596 posts as well to check if you obey the same rule set by yourself??

2. actually we could dig more interesting stuff in this blog...
Eg. on DEFO 2014 ,the official introduction from DRDO posted by the same blogger...DRDO has a radar project named as ARUDHRA

the conflict is here: in Shiv Aroor's report in June 2011 -- PHOTOS: IAF Inducts Israel-built Medium Power Radar .
read the tablet inscription please... " the first ARUDHRA Radar", so the ELM2084 IN IAF has the codename: ARUDHRA

this is a puzzled info for me since this Feb , and the cooked(?) TOI news in June 2011 quoted by the honorable Mod

that's why I said:

you miss the point again ,and volunteered for the "someone" here...
-----------------------------------

your source is welcomed ...

Archer

Country flag
Not because it cannot be fitted, Because it is not ready for mass production ..

MK2 first batch and MK1P will feature Foreign origin Radar, But latter models only have Indian made Radar ..
Correct, Kunal rational as always. DRDO's FCR is still early in development. They need time to productionize, test and improve.

Archer

Country flag
I think @Saichand K is correct. Uttam is overweight by some 40 kgs. It will be OK for bigger twin-engined MK2 (Wikipedia). DRDO products are somehow always underpowered and overweight.
Sasum, this is completely misleading. DRDO products are designed to ASR/GSQR/NSR etc. The Uttam is per those specs and there is no report of it being underpowered or overweight. The AF may want something more powerful, in which case they need to ask for it. The range figures, software being equal, will be proportional to the Tx/Rx module power output which will need effort but can be improved over time. The Russians achieved 130km with a larger MiG29 sized unit and are now targeting 200km. In short, AESA FCRs are cutting edge and need a lot of steady investment and effort.

garg_bharat

Country flag
I think there is no need of unwarranted speculation regarding Uttam aesa radar.

It is public knowledge that mark1a will be fitted with Israeli radar. It is possible that Uttam matures to such an extent that it can be fitted midway in the program.

The weight etc is a function of specs which are unpublished at this point. A more capable radar may be heavier too.

Superdefender

I think there is no need of unwarranted speculation regarding Uttam aesa radar.

It is public knowledge that mark1a will be fitted with Israeli radar. It is possible that Uttam matures to such an extent that it can be fitted midway in the program.

The weight etc is a function of specs which are unpublished at this point. A more capable radar may be heavier too.
UTTAM will be fitted in Tejas Mk.2

smestarz

Country flag
Oh I thought it was time since 4D in maths or physics is usually time along with 3d components(l,b,h).However we are talking of radars so things are different.Thanks for sharing this info.:thumb:
Tejas Mk2 wont have twin engines but a more powerful single engine config. India has signed a deal with General Electric to design, co-develop and manufacture a custom tailored Indian version of FE414IN S6 engine suitable for Indian climate conditions and other IAF needs.

The twin engine aircraft project is different, it's called AMCA. The engine for this is not finalized. France, Russia and USA have all offered ToT of their existing engines to co-develop the engine for our twin engine AMCA.
If there is possibility, i would love the MK2 engines to be twin engines,maybe smaller engines that their combined thrust is say 50% higher than he single engine. This way the reliability would be better.

The problem with single engine plane is that if one engine fails in air,.. it will crash.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
If there is possibility, i would love the MK2 engines to be twin engines,maybe smaller engines that their combined thrust is say 50% higher than he single engine. This way the reliability would be better.

The problem with single engine plane is that if one engine fails in air,.. it will crash.
Engine failure is not the only cause of plane crash. There are hundred reasons; some as mundane as choking of fuel injector to serious ones like damage to control surfaces (rudder, elevator, slats, flaps) during high-g maneuver. And I dont know if there is any chance of a bird or other foreign object getting sucked into air intake duct. So these factors of crashes are present in twin-engine aircraft also.
Moreover twin-engines add significantly to Empty-Weight. Need to carry more fuel, adding more weight.

Prashant12

Country flag
Centum Electronics Develops Critical AESA Radar Component For TEJAS

India’s Light Combat Aircraft Advances with New Order

An indigenous Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) Fire Control Radar is being developed for the Mk2 by Electronics and Radar Development Establishment (LRDE), for which Bangalore-based Centum Electronics has designed and developed the Vibration Hardened OCXO (oven controlled crystal oscillators). “The function of OCXO is to generate the clock frequency of 120 MHz, which is in turn fed to a synthesizer that generates the required X-Band frequency for AESA,” said Vinod S Chippalkatti, VP, Centum Electronics, to AIN. “The company was initially challenged three years ago to develop this product, since international companies were not able to meet the specifications and part with the technology. Centum is able to develop and deliver the product, which is lightweight, low-g-sensitive and its phase noise performance is excellent under vibration,” added Chippalkatti.

HAL says it will increase production from eight to 16 a year “once a formal order is received for the 83 Mk1As.” IAF Air Chief Marshall Arup Raha said last year: “We want the LCA Mk1A with an improved radar [Elta's ELM-2052 AESA or active electronically scanned array], electronic warfare, in-flight refueling and better missiles.” But a privately owned OEM said: “While there is to be joint work between HAL and Elta, we don’t know how much of the Elta AESA will be indigenous.” Other OEMs are interested. For instance, Saab confirmed recently to AIN that it is offering its Gallium Nitride technology, developed in Gothenberg, Sweden, for the LCA, rather than part of its Gripen proposal to India.

The LCA Mk2 version, expected to be re-engined from the GE F404 to the F414, is planned for production by 2025. The Indian Navy has expressed its firm requirement for 46 LCA Mk2s that will require a weight reduction of one ton over the Mk1A. Delays to the naval LCA have been attributed in the past to technical complexities; non-availability of infrastructure and critical components and technology denial regimes; extended user trials; and the failure of some of the components during testing.

Meanwhile, under the offset contract not yet signed for India’s buy of 36 Rafales, Dassault Aviation is believed to have agreed to transfer special spray paint and coating technology of benefit to programs such as the LCA.

http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2016/12/centum-electronics-develops-critical.html

indiatester

Country flag

An indigenous Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) Fire Control Radar is being developed for the Mk2 by Electronics and Radar Development Establishment (LRDE), for which Bangalore-based Centum Electronics has designed and developed the Vibration Hardened OCXO (oven controlled crystal oscillators). “The function of OCXO is to generate the clock frequency of 120 MHz, which is in turn fed to a synthesizer that generates the required X-Band frequency for AESA,” said Vinod S Chippalkatti, VP, Centum Electronics, to AIN. “The company was initially challenged three years ago to develop this product, since international companies were not able to meet the specifications and part with the technology. Centum is able to develop and deliver the product, which is lightweight, low-g-sensitive and its phase noise performance is excellent under vibration,” added Chippalkatti.

HAL says it will increase production from eight to 16 a year “once a formal order is received for the 83 Mk1As.” IAF Air Chief Marshall Arup Raha said last year: “We want the LCA Mk1A with an improved radar [Elta's ELM-2052 AESA or active electronically scanned array], electronic warfare, in-flight refueling and better missiles.” But a privately owned OEM said: “While there is to be joint work between HAL and Elta, we don’t know how much of the Elta AESA will be indigenous.” Other OEMs are interested. For instance, Saab confirmed recently to AIN that it is offering its Gallium Nitride technology, developed in Gothenberg, Sweden, for the LCA, rather than part of its Gripen proposal to India.

The LCA Mk2 version, expected to be re-engined from the GE F404 to the F414, is planned for production by 2025. The Indian Navy has expressed its firm requirement for 46 LCA Mk2s that will require a weight reduction of one ton over the Mk1A. Delays to the naval LCA have been attributed in the past to technical complexities; non-availability of infrastructure and critical components and technology denial regimes; extended user trials; and the failure of some of the components during testing.

Meanwhile, under the offset contract not yet signed for India’s buy of 36 Rafales, Dassault Aviation is believed to have agreed to transfer special spray paint and coating technology of benefit to programs such as the LCA.

http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2016/12/centum-electronics-develops-critical.html
I like that advances are being made, but I never thought someone making an OCXO was newsworthy o_O

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag

only 64 electronic emetters ......
far too small to make an AESA antenna.

Alok Arya

Country flag
Is it true that number of transmitter receiver module in Uttam aesa radar is 1456 ? Can any one elaborate the no of tr module and range of Uttam , RBE 2 , and aesa 2052 ?

Alok Arya

Country flag
Is RBE 2 GaA or GaN ? Uttam is GaA as of now and aesa2052 both GaA and GaN .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles