India's Moon Exploration Program

DumbPilot

Country flag
I frankly do not believe that Russia was in competition with India. This lander mission was originally scheduled for the early 2000s but was delayed for more than a decade due to various issues.
Them launching a mission in the same time period as chandrayaan 3 is a mere coincidence and not by design.

Russia employing shoddy practices and making cuts in design and testing goes back to the days of early soviet era,so nothing new here and it's not just limited to their space industry,it's present in almost all of their industries and this is precisely why they are not the technological superpower they aspire to be.

I won't be surprised that they had parts from washing machine,dish washers,refrigerators and automobiles in this Luna 25 probe.
Komarov's demise was a good indicator where the Soviet Union was headed to, regarding spaceflight.

Blank

Country flag
If it was indeed a so-called race as the west and the Chinese internet was implying. Then by some metrics, CH3 has already won. It has already completed all its maneuvers, in standby for checks and when the sun rises in its designated landed spot, it will start it's process. Russia will have to land first because its spot will see sun rise sooner then our spot. If it was the same spot, CH3 could have started up today or tomorrow maybe.

angryIndian

Country flag
Last edited:

Sanglamorre

Country flag

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
I know this thread is concerned with India's moon exploration programs but still I wanted to convey.

So according to Russia's ROSCOSMOS, the Luna-25 has crashed into the lunar surface. Can't believe this happened, I really wished that Russia would have succeeded. This is going to be a major setback to Russian space program, morally too.

TopWatcher

Country flag
I know this thread is concerned with India's moon exploration programs but still I wanted to convey.

So according to Russia's ROSCOSMOS, the Luna-25 has crashed into the lunar surface. Can't believe this happened, I really wished that Russia would have succeeded. This is going to be a major setback to Russian space program, morally too.

They seems launch in hasty, not much homework and fail analysis done.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Chandrayaan-3 mission: 150kg fuel left in propulsion module, life span now years
Chandrayaan-3 mission: 150kg fuel left in propulsion module, life span now years

BENGALURU: Here's some good news from Chandrayaan-3 even before Isro attempts to soft-land Vikram (the lander) on August 23: With more than 150kg of fuel left, the propulsion module, which was initially expected to have a life of three-six months, is expected to live on for several years.
Confirming this to TOI, Isro chairman S Somanath said: "It has too much fuel, way beyond our expectations. There's a lot of fuel left as everything was very nominal on the way to the Moon and there were no contingencies requiring corrections (for which fuel would have been expended). We're left with almost all the margin, that's around 150+kg."
The propulsion module was loaded with 1,696.4 kg of fuel at the time of the launch on July 14, and did all the heavy lifting - five Earth-bound manoeuvres and five lunar-bound manoeuvres before separating from the landing module - between July 15 and August 17.
Each of these manoeuvres would have consumed some fuel. While there's no break-up of how much fuel each of these operations have consumed, STOI has data from initial calculations - at the end of the first two manoeuvres - done for Chandrayaan-2, which could shed some light, given that the mission profile so far has been similar to 2019.
More time for SHAPE
The Chandrayaan-2 orbiter had carried 1,697kg of propellant, marginally more than the Chandrayaan-3 propulsion module. The orbiter was calculated to have expended more than 657kg of fuel completing the five Earth-bound manoeuvres and the trans-lunar injection. In this phase, the Chandrayaan-3 propulsion module is expected to have used up slightly more fuel.
Post lunar orbit insertion, the Chandrayaan-2 orbiter was calculated to need more than 749kg of fuel at the end of the separation manoeuvre. The Chandrayaan-3 propulsion module is expected to have expended a similar amount of fuel or slightly more in this phase. With 150+kg fuel still left in the module, it could go around the Moon for much longer than the initial design estimate of three-six months.
This means the instrument Spectro-polarimetry of Habitable Planetary Earth (SHAPE) gets more time to study Earth. On whether SHAPE had been turned on for operations, Somanath said that as of late Friday, it was yet to be confirmed.
Final De-boost
Meanwhile, the landing module, comprising Vikram and Pragyan (the rover), would have attempted the second deboost manoeuvre at 2am Sunday. If it succeeds, Vikram would be all set for the power descent for soft-landing. "Sunday's de-boost would be the last operation unless there is a need for some corrections after the manoeuvre. If the de-boost goes as planned, the next action would be on August 23, when we attempt landing," Somanath added.

Vamsi

Country flag
Boyzz....there is a very high probability of SHAPE payload having related to our upcoming space based observatory "Exo-Worlds"..... because main objectives of both Exoworlds & Shape are to characterize the exoplanet atmosphere using Spectro-polarimetry, & I find no reason for ISRO to launch SHAPE payload unless it's related to Exoworlds.....So, there's high probability of it being related to Exoworlds mission, I think data generated by SHAPE payload will be used as a benchmark for Exoworlds mission to discovers potential habitable exoplanets

DumbPilot

Country flag
Though seriously speaking, how exactly will it land without sensors like camera/radars? INS integration + following some quartic descent trajectory? I'm assuming they are using ring laser gyroscopes(don't know if that is the case actually)

Or is it something way more simple like an open loop command(eg, throttle 90% at T+5 from powered descent initiation, and throttle 50% at T+8 minutes from PDI, etc..)

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles