India's Moon Exploration Program

DumbPilot

Country flag
Entire "r/Space" is filled with their mocking of Russians

And there are some ch*tiyas who brings up westoid poverty p*rn on India
They are the worst. I try not to mix up science and their bullshittery because what the American space agencies have achieved is truly incredible, but fuck most of their redneck internet users.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
I just visited Reddit pages on Luna-25's failure. The users there are trolling Russians like anything, it's so sad to see what people have stooped down to. Most of the users there are Europeans, Americans. I mean just look at their comments.

IMG_20230820_202059.jpg
IMG_20230820_202118.jpg
IMG_20230820_202043.jpg

IMG_20230820_202031.jpg

I can't understand why someone would celebrate the failure of a mission, I understand why they dislike Russia for its actions in Ukraine but this is just bonkers, any mission like this is meant for the purpose of data gathering, which will be shared with the whole world so that Humans can know more about space. This has been the purpose of every probes, landers that we have sent to various parts of the solar system and beyond: to gather data!

It's really sad to see how Westerners mix politics with science, I have a lot of respect for the US because the contributions that they have made in the field of astronomy and space is truly commendable but these type comments really show us what the average American is like, simply trolling another when one fails. It seem to be the norm for decades now, they always troll Russians.

@Indx TechStyle and mods, this post might be more appropriate for the Idiotic musings of firangistan Thread, if needed then move there or let the post be here itself.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I understand why they dislike Russia for its actions in Ukraine
Ukraine war is not a reason for antipathy against Russia but is a product for it. It was a war started because Ukraine was going to field western nuclear weapons right at Russian borders. And so are other causes, since western European enmity & racism against east European and Russian slavs is a thousand years old practice and every event reflects it.

I will move all posts to relevant thread by tomorrow evening. You guys may continue.

Varoon2

Country flag
I distinctly remember reading back in 2019, some pretty informed writer stating, that the lunar capture, when the Chandrayaan spacecraft fully entered the lunar orbit, after its trans lunar injection, is actually more difficult/tricky than an actual landing. Too much speed/thrust, and the satelliite becomes lost in space, too little and it eventually crashes on the moon's surface. And this commentator noted how ISRO executed this manoeuvre with great skill and precision, while they erred on the landing. Any legitimacy to this view?

Blank

Country flag
MOSCOW, Aug 20 - RIA Novosti. The "alarming signs" at the Luna-25 station were noticed even before the attempt to enter the pre-landing orbit, but the decision to postpone the maneuver was not made, a scientist, a leading researcher at the Space Research Institute (IKI), told RIA Novosti RAN Nathan Eismont.
"There were problems, they were not that significant, but the signs were, so to speak, alarming, but everyone hoped that somehow it would be possible to sort it out... There were problems, I will say carefully, there are calculated things, and there are expected values... If our deviation turns out to be somewhat higher than we expected, this is an alarming fact, but apparently it was not alarming enough to move to a radical solution," Eismont said.
The scientist believes that since a problem arose, it was necessary to wait and postpone the transition to a pre-landing orbit. According to him, there would be "nothing terrible" in this.
"It is sad that there was a time and, apparently, the decision on how to proceed was not made the best," the scientist added.

So, they really were rushing

The Juggernaut

Country flag
I just visited Reddit pages on Luna-25's failure. The users there are trolling Russians like anything, it's so sad to see what people have stooped down to. Most of the users there are Europeans, Americans. I mean just look at their comments.

View attachment 218964View attachment 218965View attachment 218963
View attachment 218962

I can't understand why someone would celebrate the failure of a mission, I understand why they dislike Russia for its actions in Ukraine but this is just bonkers, any mission like this is meant for the purpose of data gathering, which will be shared with the whole world so that Humans can know more about space. This has been the purpose of every probes, landers that we have sent to various parts of the solar system and beyond: to gather data!

It's really sad to see how Westerners mix politics with science, I have a lot of respect for the US because the contributions that they have made in the field of astronomy and space is truly commendable but these type comments really show us what the average American is like, simply trolling another when one fails. It seem to be the norm for decades now, they always troll Russians.

@Indx TechStyle and mods, this post might be more appropriate for the Idiotic musings of firangistan Thread, if needed then move there or let the post be here itself.
In this days, the life is so much full of negativity that people seek an opportunity to vent their inner discomfort. But all these lead to more negativity. For India or China also they are negative. There is no need to heed what others say.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Chandryaan-3 official logo
View attachment 218943
That tweet was done right after failure of Luna 25.
Chandrayaan-3 Mission:
🇮🇳
Chandrayaan-3 is set to land on the moon
🌖
on August 23, 2023, around 18:04 Hrs. IST. Thanks for the wishes and positivity! Let’s continue experiencing the journey together as the action unfolds LIVE at: ISRO Website https://isro.gov.in YouTube https://youtube.com/watch?v=DLA_64yz8Ss… Facebook https://facebook.com/ISRO and DD National TV from 17:27 Hrs. IST on Aug 23, 2023.
@DDNational

@PIB_India
#Chandrayaan_3 #Ch3
A message: https://www.isro.gov.in/Chandrayaan3SoftLandingMessage.html
Screenshot_20230821_011133_Chrome.jpg

Chandrayaan-3's official logo clear here. @Vamsi

DingDong

Country flag
Though seriously speaking, how exactly will it land without sensors like camera/radars? INS integration + following some quartic descent trajectory? I'm assuming they are using ring laser gyroscopes(don't know if that is the case actually)

Or is it something way more simple like an open loop command(eg, throttle 90% at T+5 from powered descent initiation, and throttle 50% at T+8 minutes from PDI, etc..)
My guess: Clock + Motion tracking (Accelerometer + Gyro) + Terrain map.

High speed atmospheric entry vehicles get blinded by a plasma shield, still manage to pick and follow their course reliably.

astransastra

Country flag
While the initial plan was to put the lander, Vikram, in an orbit of 30kmX100km, it attained an orbit of 113kmX157km after the first de-boosting operation on Friday, the officials said.

They said that this was not particularly a cause for concern.

“The 30kmX100km orbit was under nominal conditions. Moreover, these were just estimates because the actual plan has not been revealed due to security reasons. The current position and movement of the spacecraft is being monitored continuously by our teams and everything is going as per the plan,” the official said requesting anonymity.

Above excerpt from this link

--------------------

Any thing to be concerned about those deviations from the original orbital plans? Not sure what the official was referring to about actual plan not being revealed due to security!

DumbPilot

Country flag
While the initial plan was to put the lander, Vikram, in an orbit of 30kmX100km, it attained an orbit of 113kmX157km after the first de-boosting operation on Friday, the officials said.

“The 30kmX100km orbit was under nominal conditions. Moreover, these were just estimates because the actual plan has not been revealed due to security reasons. The current position and movement of the spacecraft is being monitored continuously by our teams and everything is going as per the plan,” the official said requesting anonymity.

--------------------

Any thing to be concerned about those deviations from the original orbital plans? Not sure what the official was referring to about actual plan not being revealed due to security!
30x100 is the final parking orbit just before descent, so I don't think there is any issue regarding that.

I don't know what security issues really are, though

Master Chief

Country flag

--------------------

Chandrayaan is in a 25*134 km orbit..
Although, would be interesting to know what security aspects he is pointing to, w.r.t not disclosing the final orbit beforehand..

Sayman Ame

Country flag
Yo, so some BigBrainTime moment for me, hear me out;

Why can't they install a device on the lander that juts out protective "legs" like with this phone case that opens up once it detects the phone is falling ? ( could something like this have saved the Chandrayaan 2 mission ?)

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/27/this-clever-case-pops-open-to-protect-your-phone-when-you-drop-it/

This “active damping” case, a bit like an airbag for your phone, is the brainchild of Philip Frenzel, an engineer at Aalen University in Germany. His idea won the top award from the German Society for Mechatronics, which considered projects from students all over the country, and you can see him explain its genesis in a video here.
Untisdtled.jpg

(it's another thing if this case rips open your eyballs if you are browsing on your bed and your phone slips from your hand onto your face, but we dont have that problem with our lander do we?)

Cheepek

Yo, so some BigBrainTime moment for me, hear me out;

Why can't they install a device on the lander that juts out protective "legs" like with this phone case that opens up once it detects the phone is falling ? ( could something like this have saved the Chandrayaan 2 mission ?)

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/27/this-clever-case-pops-open-to-protect-your-phone-when-you-drop-it/

View attachment 218998

(it's another thing if this case rips open your eyballs if you are browsing on your bed and your phone slips from your hand onto your face, but we dont have that problem with our lander do we?)
The lander's legs are already there for that purpose, but even they will fail when the lander free falls/ or falls with a very high vertical velocity. It's a ~1.7k kilos lander.
To survive a fall, you would probably need legs that are hundreds of kilos themselves. I am sure this has been thought out already.

skywatcher

Country flag
I distinctly remember reading back in 2019, some pretty informed writer stating, that the lunar capture, when the Chandrayaan spacecraft fully entered the lunar orbit, after its trans lunar injection, is actually more difficult/tricky than an actual landing. Too much speed/thrust, and the satelliite becomes lost in space, too little and it eventually crashes on the moon's surface. And this commentator noted how ISRO executed this manoeuvre with great skill and precision, while they erred on the landing. Any legitimacy to this view?
Hope this is not sarcasm. Orbiting the moon is not hard at all. South Korea can do it. even UAE can orbit Mars on first attempt.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles