India's Moon Exploration Program

Varoon2

Country flag
Seems the Russians are crashing the party. They are launching their own lander on August 11 and planning to land on the South pole of the moon on the ]
I hope this was not done deliberately, to beat India to the south Pole. Very unsavoury if so. If I'm not mistaken, when India announced its first moon mission, China scrambled to ensure it would reach there first, which it did. I don't think india does this sort of thing.

DumbPilot

Country flag
Seems the Russians are crashing the party. They are launching their own lander on August 11 and planning to land on the South pole of the moon on the 21st....

Village totally evacuated with Vladimir Putin set to send his first spacecraft to Moon
I have a bit of doubt if it will even make it to the Lunar surface safely given the recent ROSCOSMOS track record for unmanned probes recently(Nauka, Phobos-Grunt, ..).

We'll see I suppose. Even if they make it before us, it's no big deal IMO - their space agency and scientific potential is dead for the forseeable future, and CNSA is not going to participate with them in that. We have a lot more missions to moon(LUPEX, etc) planned, they don't - not something tangible anyway LOL. Luna 25 was originally to be launched around 2012.. it's being launched in 2023 should tell you something about the future of Luna-Glob.

Sanglamorre

Country flag
I hope this was not done deliberately, to beat India to the south Pole. Very unsavoury if so. If I'm not mistaken, when India announced its first moon mission, China scrambled to ensure it would reach there first, which it did. I don't think india does this sort of thing.
If they have done this to beat us to the punch, it might not be successful because it'll be very hasty planning.

angryIndian

Country flag
Having many firsts to their name,the Russians should be least bothered about beating India in this supposed race. For example,Lukhnod 1 rover launched in 1970 travelled over 11 kilometers on the surface of the moon,an unbroken record till date.

Not just that,they managed to land on the surface of Venus using the 70's era tech,a feat that is still beyond our reach.

RedHood108

Country flag
If they have done this to beat us to the punch, it might not be successful because it'll be very hasty planning.
If this was Japan or UAE I would have been more worried. Russia's landing on the moon wouldn't take away anything from us.

We would still be the 4th nation to land on the moon. If CY-3 mission is successful. 🀞

Varoon2

Country flag
^^^
True, but you can't put it past them. After all, they were in a " race" with the US to get to the moon, and in space technology generally, to show the superiority of the communist system. India in the back of its mind, doesn't want to fall far behind China( or any country) in space technology, but it is not obsessed with the concept of racing.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Having many firsts to their name,the Russians should be least bothered about beating India in this supposed race. For example,Lukhnod 1 rover launched in 1970 travelled over 11 kilometers on the surface of the moon,an unbroken record till date.

Not just that,they managed to land on the surface of Venus using the 70's era tech,a feat that is still beyond our reach.
^^^
True, but you can't put it past them. After all, they were in a " race" with the US to get to the moon, and in space technology generally, to show the superiority of the communist system. India in the back of its mind, doesn't want to fall far behind China( or any country) in space technology, but it is not obsessed with the concept of racing.
The very case of cold war Era space race and modern advancements are two different cases.

In space race, US & USSR spent money like nuts to show their superiority and wasted it all regardless of output. In case of modern Era, it's about sustainable spaceflight which would actually benefit scientifically and economically where Asian countries are competing.

AnantS

Country flag

no smoking

Country flag
Sorry, if you look at the details of the two countries projects, you will find China's moon exploration project had nothing to do with India.
When India's Prime Minister- Atal Bihari Vajpayee announced the plan in Aug-03, only Chandrayaan-1 was declared, the whole project was then approved in Nov-03.
In the case of China, the first public mention of moon exploration project was in Feb-04. The narrative, however, was that the moon project already got into engineering stage, and the time table of 3 stages (circling, landing, returning) was given at the same time. Chinese planned to do their returning before 2020.
The actual time was Dec-20, 1 year delay. This tell us that their technologies development for moon exploration must started around 2000.
1691455622146.png

NutCracker

Country flag
Launch timing might not be related to our mission but landing location can be related..

Screenshot_20230808_074605_Brave.jpg

Our stupid news channels are rounding off the landing location to 70 degrees. But as per US space news websites our landing location is 69.37 South. Has anyone went beyond 69.37 S before we decided that point. I think not.

But we also don't know when was Russian landing site was decided.

Varoon2

Country flag
^^^ Whatever the reason, it is annoying, the Russians doing this just when india is

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles