India's Anti-Satellite (ASAT) Weapons

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
If you notice the difference between the US and Russian reactions, there are some interesting takeaways:
  • USAF in a senate committee hearing put on record that an Indian ASAT test "did happen."
  • US State Dept did not make any comments dissuading militarization of space, nor did it voice concerns about the debris field of the ASAT test
  • USAF said it's tracking 250+ fragments from the destroyed satellite, and sounded convinced that India did not fuck-up like the Chinese in 2007 by creating a vast and uncontrollable debris field
  • US State Dept referred to India as a "strategic partner" in its statement, and AFTER the ASAT test, offered more BMD tech cooperation as an alternative to our S-400 purchase.
The Russian reaction is not very different from the Chinese one, to be honest:
  • No explicit acknowledgement of the test.
  • Voiced fear and concerns over militarization of space and used terms like "arms race," as if to dissuade us from further development of ASAT capabilities
  • Asked India to join an ASAT-control regime that Chinese had a big hand in drafting after their 2007 fuck-up
Fuck the Russians. I think it's time we seriously examine the US alternative to the S-400 deal and consider closer cooperations with the Americans, minus their Pepe Le Pew attempts to get us to buy F-16 and its derivatives.
Russia is fully under chinese influence... this is going to continue for some time.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Chini pigs squealing is fun to watch:

This test hit right where it hurts.
Mr Eleven ping is a paper dragon and should remain so to live peacefully with his techy branded wife. Better they help Pappu win election otherwise the emperor will be made run naked for any of his misadventure by the nationalist Indian government.

China is a fucking rogue terrorist nation that hides behind the skirt of Azar Masood.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
LOl I am still waiting for the retaliation global times editorial was threatening us during doklam crisis.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Mr Eleven ping is a paper dragon and should remain so to live peacefully with his techy branded wife. Better they help Pappu win election otherwise the emperor will be made run naked for any of his misadventure by the nationalist Indian government.

China is a fucking rogue terrorist nation that hides behind the skirt of Azar Masood.
The Gandhi's current bunch are termed such for a reason. Not unlike CPEC, the Chini have cultivated the first family of Congress.

We desperately need a nationalist government next term to degrade Chini-Porkie nexus and render the Pappus of the world much less dangerous.

Illusive

Country flag
One theory told to me, that China is using Tibet laser facility to damage Indian military Satellites. We lost few due to this high power laser. Saw their facility posted by Raj47.
It's difficult for ground based laser weapons to target beyond clouds due to scattering let alone in space.

Enquirer

Guys, go through this article.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...are-accuracy-by-young-scientists-1957416.html

"Apart from the technologies used in the BMD system and the long range underwater missile under ANSP programme, the DRDO had to add few more technologies to integrate the new A-SAT missile.
New technologies included very quick reaction divert and altitude control system and a powerful sensor that can detect target from a far distance. The divert thruster has been used for the first time and no other missile has such a unique technology. The new launcher was also built in a record three months. "

What is this ANSP program that Hemant Kumar is referring to?

So I stand vindicated. A new IIR seeker with a high resolution fpa matrix had been used.

A brand new KV with divert thrusters for alt control has been used. The kill vehicle had smashed right at the Centre of 1.5 by 1.5 metre satellite. It hit within 10 cms which is a tremendous achievement by itself.

In all probability, this brand new seeker and KKV will now be used in the PDV missile. New tech being introduced into existing products as and when they mature. Continual product improvement.

This same seeker and KKV will most probably be used in the AD-1 missile. So some building blocks for BMD phase 2 inteeceptors has already been validated .

A draft space doctrine is now being drafted by NSA Ajit Doval.

My gau mutra sipping fellow bhakts, a Space command is in the offing

View attachment 33613

Pic courtesy - Kakarat from BRF
The article is mostly correct....but for
"The divert thruster has been used for the first time"
Divert thrusters have always been used for PDV missiles......as can be seen from the images!!! It's definitely 'enhanced' in the ASAT iteration.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Is the 1500 km horizontal range or altitude range?

Also is xrsam missile under development will be a spinoff of aad similar to asat is a derivative of pdv?

Again I see pdv mk2 as a potential mid course ICBM intercept with 1000 km+ interception range. Wonder whether we will go ahead with ad1 and ad2 missile for 5k class of missile under phase 2 bmd especially when there is a new kid in the block pdv mk2 which is essentially phase 3 of bmd programme for 10-12k class of missiles.

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
It's difficult for ground based laser weapons to target beyond clouds due to scattering let alone in space.
Yes you are correct ,

There is the phenomenon of " atmospheric breakdown " due to creation of plasma / ionisation in the flight path of the beam through the atmosphere.

Consider it as a rough example of increase in resistance due to heating when current moves through a conductor.

Not even Americans have been able to overcome it , though through " phase locking " through multiple emitters it is possible theoretically by massively increasing aperture and therefore increasing power to overcome the high resistance due to atmospheric breakdown. Only the Americans have managed to make some break through in this regard but far away from demonstrating the same.

Forget about the Chinese lol.
They are zero when it comes to innovation , best at only copying others or stealing the same once others make the breakthrough.

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
Yes you are correct ,

There is the phenomenon of " atmospheric breakdown " due to creation of plasma / ionisation in the flight path of the beam through the atmosphere.

Consider it as a rough example of increase in resistance due to heating when current moves through a conductor.

Not even Americans have been able to overcome it , though through " phase locking " through multiple emitters it is possible theoretically by massively increasing aperture and therefore increasing power to overcome the high resistance due to atmospheric breakdown. Only the Americans have managed to make some break through in this regard but far away from demonstrating the same.

Forget about the Chinese lol.
They are zero when it comes to innovation , best at only copying others or stealing the same once others make the breakthrough.
Is this true for KALI type weapons too?

porky_kicker

Country flag
Is this true for KALI type weapons too?
Yes , though possibly walkarounds are ( should be) available. Don't have necessary in depth knowledge to guarantee , since technology is always WIP.

And AFAIK DEW systems which is based on neutral beam particle technology are immune to some extent to atmospheric breakdown.

KALI is not a weapon , nor can it be used as one IMO. it is a one shot system , only repetitive systems are suited for use as DEW ( only exception is one shot E Bomb which is one shot and destroys itself in the process ).

Technologies developed and used in KALI will definitely form the basis for optimised purpose built DEW systems.

BARC and DRDO have other WIP projects which are more suited for use as weapons, direct or indirect.

Look for my posts in DRDO thread , you will get the idea on the R&D work in the area being done , given the limitations of funding , it is very good and extensive. Why do you think India got invited to become active member in international projects like ITER , LHC , CMS , ALICE , FAIR , NUSTAR , CBM , PANDA, SKA etc ?

Last edited:

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
Yes , though possibly walkarounds are ( should be) available. Don't have necessary in depth knowledge to guarantee , since technology is always WIP.

And AFAIK DEW systems which is based on neutral beam particle technology are immune to some extent to atmospheric breakdown.

KALI is not a weapon , nor can it be used as one IMO. it is a one shot system , only repetitive systems are suited for use as DEW ( only exception is one shot E Bomb which is one shot and destroys itself in the process ).

Technologies developed and used in KALI will definitely form the basis for optimised purpose built DEW systems.

BARC and DRDO have other WIP projects which are more suited for use as weapons, direct or indirect.

Look for my posts in DRDO thread , you will get the idea on the R&D work in the area being done , given the limitations of funding , it is very good and extensive. Why do you think India got invited to become active member in international projects like ITER , LHC , CMS , ALICE , FAIR , NUSTAR , CBM , PANDA, SKA etc ?
Oh, I was thinking of conspiracy theory that maybe not necessarily only one ASAT weapon system tested as anounced. Because that second tamamtar wala twitter baba joked about Pakistan losing signal from spy satellites (borrowed from China) it was using to monitor Indian troop movement; and I don't know what PM meant by the word 'live' satellite.

happylion

Country flag
FWIW we had a previous NOTAM that Kurup had put up and no launch was announced a month back.

SanjeevM

Country flag

Russkies r bringing us to the Round Table.
Big guys beer party. Only 4 members.[emoji23]

But if China (assuming) impacted Indian satellite with laser beam over Tibetan plateau, doesn't that mean China violated the agreement with Russia?

China possessing laser beam is dangerous, we should have a counter. I read a couple of years back DRDO was working on lasers and we will have Sci-fi movies kind weapons in future. Do we have something ready?

This makes me think, a couple of years back we lost a couple of fighter jets in Arunachal Pradesh near China border. Both lost contact while flying over the forest and later debris were found. Both incidents happened within a span of a month. My logical deduction is telling me that China might have used a similar laser weapons that could have caused both crashes. I never read thereafter about any reports from enquiry about both incidents. In both cases pilots were not found assumed dead if my memory is good.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles