India's Air Defense System and its Capabilities

mikhail

Country flag
My View : Based on Present

1). VSHORAD :- IGLA & SA-13

2). SR-SAMs : OSA-AK

3). MR-SAMS : Akash & SA-6

4). Long Range SAM : Indian BMD`S Inter-Atmosphere Interceptor
sir whats your view about the Russian made Pantsir-S1 short to medium range surface to air missile and anti-aircraft system?afaik this system was recently developed by Russia to replace the ageing Tunguska air defence system(which we have in large nos.),so logistically it won't create any problem and the price of this system is also quite reasonable plus we can get full TOT from the Russkies which will help us in the long run for our own MR-SAM and LR-SAM in the near future and if we believe the words of the Syrian Defence Forces then it is highly effective against any modern enemy combat aircraft:confused:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
These all photos and info are not my view but Army selected once..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I have put some requirement originally from Army perspective..

Pantsir-S1 is good system, It would be a good addition if selected..

sir whats your view about the Russian made Pantsir-S1 short to medium range surface to air missile and anti-aircraft system?afaik this system was recently developed by Russia to replace the ageing Tunguska air defence system(which we have in large nos.),so logistically it won't create any problem and the price of this system is also quite reasonable plus we can get full TOT from the Russkies which will help us in the long run for our own MR-SAM and LR-SAM in the near future and if we believe the words of the Syrian Defence Forces then it is highly effective against any modern enemy combat aircraft:confused:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
France has nothing in the category of S-300,S-400 plus Russian system are cheap and give more or less same performance.

Russkies have potent SAM system.
Russkies have nothing in the catagory of SAMP-T. S-300/400 is horrible at intercepting low flying objects and its interceptor doesn't have Pif-Paf for kinetic intercept. Aster is far more accurate.

kshkumsin

Russkies have nothing in the catagory of SAMP-T. S-300/400 is horrible at intercepting low flying objects and its interceptor doesn't have Pif-Paf for kinetic intercept. Aster is far more accurate.
from what account you assume that monsieur

Last edited:

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i think drdo should make the trishul a gun+missile system using technology from tunguska and the maitri programme.this could be a good platform for quick reacation very short range mobile air defence missile system.hence my guess is

manpads: modern igla

qr-vshorads: modified trishul(maitri)

sr-sam-akash mk1 and mk2

lrsam-:drdo+israeli coperation

very long range sam: modified aad(150km),300km sam(as mentioned in article)

bmd:aad,pdv,ad1,ad2 etc.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Sir, any update on if Pantsir-S1 SA-22 is going to replace our vintage 9K22 Tunguska anytime soon?

During my recent tour, I have visited Tunguska M1 over firing range, Its very ammo hungry system split fire like venom..

But it has some issues, Mainly with logistics, every spare is imported and running them all the time also cost alot..

It would be great if we make them in Country, Pantsir-1 is modern but huge..

==========================

Army is looking for :

QR/MR/SR Air - defense system both gun and Missiles when its QR/SR system..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Yes they can, Given they are very well coordinated with each other and radar guided..

For example 40MM/L70 guided by flycatcher, On would need dozens of these system in line where one expect the path of Cruise Missile..

Tunguska M1 on other hand are very good point defense AD system..

Kunal sir how is AAA against cruise missile ?

ladder

Country flag
Upgrade of ZU-23mm 2B Air Defence Gun by Punj Lloyd
Punj Lloyd upgraded the existing ZU-23 2B Gun by replacing the manual laying system with a rugged Electro Optical Fire Control System (EOFCS) for the Corps of Army Air Defence. The EOFCS gives the gun the capability to engage at aerial targets during day and night in plains, deserts or in mountains. The Gun has been modified with a day and night camera, laser range finder and a digital fire control computer. The upgraded-gun can engage NATO standard aerial targets, upto a range of 2500 m flying at 300m/s.

==============

Upgrade of ZU-23mm 2B Air Defence Gun | Defence/Services/Products/Upgrade of ZU-23mm 2B Air Defence Gun

Last edited:

Decklander

ladder

Country flag
we need to incorporate this EOFCS to other AA guns also like L-70 etc. That will ensure that we will be able to shoot down even stealth ac using the IR camera at night. I wish IN also adopts something like IRST for its ships as they can very effectively pick up periscopes from a long distance better than radars while being completely passive.
Bofors L-70 have already been upgraded with EOFCS.

Under the new teaming agreement, official sources said, ordnance factories will mechanically upgrade the L-70 guns while the Swedish company will provide an opto-electronic module with an integrated fire control system.
Bofors re-enters Indian armaments market - Rediff.com India News

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

Last edited by a moderator:

JBH22

Which is why S-300/S-400 has to be complement with systems such as TOR-M1 or PANTSIR to take care of cruise missile etc

Immanuel

Country flag
KBP presents new Pantsir capabilities - IHS Jane's 360

It appears a new version of Patsir is on offer for India's need. I think this system is ideal and we should order atleast 600-1200vehicles, going by the report a simple battalion of 6 vehicles could be deployed as last line of defence at all IAF, IA, and IN installations. Each vehicle carries 12 missiles ready to fire + plenty of ammo to cover the areas. I think a substantial order of 1000 launchers for all 3 service under full-tot agreement would allow for some impenetrable air space.

It could also be the ideal air cover for our Strike Corps.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles