Indian Special Forces

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
I am sure you know they outperformed any Indian infantry unit and most of the times even SF.

Para SF was the one they feared or i would say were cautious with.

We got out troops killed with our training in Sri Lanka and then in Kargil we got our troops killed with our nonsense politics(loc nhi cross karenge)
They caused heavy casualties all thnx to the shitty movement they, moving whole coys or somethimes the whole unit while using SF as a spearhead attached to the ROP!

PARA SF was the only one they feared as both used the same tactics while operating in jungles!

The biggest flaw was using SF a spearhead for every infantry operation, SF was used more like a CDO force...

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
I disagree. I can list several instances of indian infsntry outfighting and outclassing the LTTE.

They succeeded with planting mines and IED, and that’s how the bulk of indian army casualties came. From IED explosions. According to Official data and army veterans line Major Abhay Sapru
Infantry was only when they were able to trap the tamil tigers in a cordon! Infact there also SF was used to finish off the tigers while the infantry hold the cordon!

airborneCommando

Country flag
Ok so I have one update AF--SOD might be considering Arads and Carbines as standard AR 10.5" for Carbine and 16" Arads
Will we ever get good pictures of the said org ? All we get is basic photos from A&N Triservices Command here and there that too once in a while. Also, someone told me that the current GOC AFSOD is Maj Gen MS Bains of 9 para who replaced Maj Gen JS Nanda of 7 para, is it true?

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Will we ever get good pictures of the said org ? All we get is basic photos from A&N Triservices Command here and there that too once in a while. Also, someone told me that the current GOC AFSOD is Maj Gen MS Bains of 9 para who replaced Maj Gen JS Nanda of 7 para, is it true?
Will have to confirm the last part but for pics it's just hard they have kept it under wraps as much as they can even alot of people inside sf circle know jack shit about it and they even say to use Tri sf instead of AF---D

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
But a pic of Indian Arad in hands of sf is impossible before mid next year atleast

Kumaoni

Infantry was only when they were able to trap the tamil tigers in a cordon! Infact there also SF was used to finish off the tigers while the infantry hold the cordon!
im was to continue to hound the LTTE forcing it to come to the peace talks. While parleys were going on in India the IPKF focused on the strongholds in the Nittikulam district north east of Vavuniya. This led to some fierce fighting including hand to hand. One such action took place on the shores of the Nayuru lagoon, south of Alampil. The shores of the lagoon are densely forested. One of the Battalions freshly inducted after the Operation Viraat was the 6th Battalion of the 8th Gorkha rifles regiment. 6/8GR was vested with the task of being the scout unit in the Jungle Bashing mission of Operation Baaz, and they started their operations in the last week of February. On 02 March 1989, two Companies of 6/8 GR set out on a 'reconnaissance mission'. This was a mission to search and weed out any LTTE elements, the details had 48 hours worth of rations with them while on the move. The Unit was not expecting much action. Till then, their activities in Sri Lanka involved only manning of road blocks and conducting searches at these road blocks. Their only hour of excitement was when they nabbed a hidden Dinghy and an outboard motor being carried in a Tractor-Trailer.

As the Lead platoons made their way through the thick and dense jungle, One of the sections in the front ran into an ambush. The LTTE men opened fire with their LMGs and AK Rifles, killing or wounded five of the Gorkhas. Though the Gorkhas returned fire, the LTTE casualties could not be ascertained . Even as the fighting was going on, the Gorkhas realised that they had stumbled upon the outer defences of a major base. In such a case there would be a couple of tiers of defensive positions before the main camp a good 10 - 12 km behind. This was the reason the LTTE outer defences were holding their ground. This spurred on the Gorkhas to renew their assault with more fervour. By nightfall the fighting became confused. The Commanding Officer of the Gorkha's Colonel V.K. Bakshi sent back calls for more reinforcements. As the Gorkhas ran out of ammo they drew their kukhris and waded into the LTTE. Somewhere along the line Colonel Bakshi was fatally wounded. By morning the fighting was all over a 4 km front. Helicopters flew in reinforcements. An infantry company dropped from the other side of the lagoon to help the Gorkhas ran into heavily booby trapped trails. By afternoon 5 battalions of the Army were in the area moving towards the lagoon. By March 7 when the operations were over 70 LTTE personnel were killed. The main group including the leadership melted away. Colonel Bakshi was awarded the MVC posthumously.

No SF here!

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Nanda sir is ex6 PARA SF!

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
I disagree. I can list several instances of indian infsntry outfighting and outclassing the LTTE.

They succeeded with planting mines and IED, and that’s how the bulk of indian army casualties came. From IED explosions. According to Official data and army veterans line Major Abhay Sapru
My dear Roman Army soldier

In todays warfare mines,IED,booby traps are all an effective method to kill and can be called as successful tactics in eliminating an Army of big numbers.

You can surely mention several incidents of LTTE being outmanouvered and vice versa.

But dont forget they were in lungi and chappal and we had Armour and Arty.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Tamil 'boiz' were hosted by E22 not SG! SG is just a little part of it, Officers from PARA(1,3&10) trained them in Chakrata. They had their speed marches between Charkata and Dehradun, there are still some Tamils running coffee shops!

"They were good enough to join SG", I humbly disagree with this sir. SG isn't some SF that sets a benchmark for the rest!

SG has specialized roles but they aren't some superhumans, even Cross border raids are carried out by the very small SF element on deputation to SG!

SG was sent to SL to gain experience in Jungle Warfare but took heavy casualties, was operating under 9SF but was quickly sent back as it was more of a headache for 9!
Wow man amazing post!!

I agree with u on SG...I dont think they are the benchmark.

I would rate 9 and 21 anyday above and beyond them

Global Defence

New threads

Articles