Indian Special Forces

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Multi Teams were deployed. only 1 was in theater, the others came from Command - hence the Air Drop. No otherway to do this given the timescale. Even if we had a AC Carrier/LPD/LPH in theater to link all the assets together they would still most lkely do a jump into water if the weather conditions were not optimal.

I am not entirely sure every Ship has a Marcos element on board.
Any idea why a night time drop and op was not done ? It's hard to judge distance in the photos, but I hope they jumped out of gun range of the pirates

rkhanna

Country flag
Any idea why a night time drop and op was not done ? It's hard to judge distance in the photos, but I hope they jumped out of gun range of the pirates
Possible reasons for the day time op

1) Lack of Capability to run full spectrum of night ops
2) Timeline on the urgency to execute the mission and retake the ship.
3) possibly both of the above

airborneCommando

Country flag
Possible reasons for the day time op

1) Lack of Capability to run full spectrum of night ops
2) Timeline on the urgency to execute the mission and retake the ship.
3) possibly both of the above
Most likely pt 2, since Marcos and IN usually conduct validation of such capabilities at night time regularly. Even DEVGRU had conducted day time jumps for the Maersk Alabama operation IIRC.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Yes I've got their Full Sleeve QZ shirt. Do you have any questions related to it?
Are they any good thinking about a good full sleeves shirt for my yoga routine any suggestions in half sleeves I got gearsmith one and it's absolutely perfect need something in full sleeves too

rkhanna

Country flag
Most likely pt 2, since Marcos and IN usually conduct validation of such capabilities at night time regularly. Even DEVGRU had conducted day time jumps for the Maersk Alabama operation IIRC.
Yes 2 is a given but IMO so is 1. our SOF troops are still few years away from developing a full spectrum night ops capability where they have confidence in their skill levels to pull off a blue water jump with a combat load

IMO this also goes for the Paras and Garud. Having NODs does not mean the learning curve of night capability has been mastered.

airborneCommando

Country flag
Having NODs does not mean the learning curve of night capability has been mastered.
I agree with you sir; however my point was made on the basis of the fact that MARCOS have been conducting both validation excercises as well as Counter Piracy/Counter Narcotics operations at the sea that Involve night time capabilities of every IN Asset allocated to them incl ISR and insertion platforms. Navy is far ahead of IA and IAF in terms of full spectrum night time operations.

kaboom

Country flag
I agree with you sir; however my point was made on the basis of the fact that MARCOS have been conducting both validation excercises as well as Counter Piracy/Counter Narcotics operations at the sea that Involve night time capabilities of every IN Asset allocated to them incl ISR and insertion platforms. Navy is far ahead of IA and IAF in terms of full spectrum night time operations.
Also doing this type of stuff at night would have brought in more complexities and variables that could have lead to casualties.
And in this op with lots of pr involved, if some mishaps had occurred we would have become a laughing stock. So it's pretty understandable why they didn't want to take any risk.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles