Indian Special Forces

Fire and groove

Country flag
So are they like considered the best or is delta team considered the best
There's no concept of the best in military structures, it's outright impossible and frankly pointless to dig for that answer. It's about being effective in your assigned roles and mandates. With the tier 1 american around the world we've seen an overall convergence in mission sets, roles and characteristics of the personnel to the point that there's not much difference. In other words, CAG can do most things that DEVGRU can and vice-versa.

Fire and groove

Country flag
Let me address this topic of BUT PARA SF IS SUCCESSFUL.

Ok against who?

4 college dropouts without proper training.4 unmotivated boys who were slapped by a jawan and decided to become jihadi and are now pussy hunting in Facebook..these are not warriors.

On LOC...All kills are assisted by top class surveillance.Take out the fence and surveillance things will get challenging.

In Kargil..NLI new recruits without any sound training who were mostly fighting empty stomach..some were 15 days hungry.

Now i have a lot of respect for Para SF and all jawans and offficers but this comment i have read so many times that it makes me want to address it.

Abhi sab acha chal rha he..when the time comes and they meet their match or better then you would know.

Maybe a hijacking in a country outside India..Maybe a war with China..Maybe another hardcore terrorist attack.

Time will tell.
People fail to realise that we didn't win our indo-pak wars because we're neccessarily good at waging war (with the exception of 1971), but because the Pakistani military is terrible at it. Since religious fundamentalism has become deeply ingrained into Pakistani nationalism, abd consequently overcharged in their military, they're often incapable of stepping back and taking an objective, critical view of their work which is absolutely necessary for an officer. Not to say that we're immune to this by any sense, i mean Gen G.D Bakshi serves as an example of a man who's too passionate for his line of work. But unlike here where it's individualistic, in Pakistan it's ingrained into their officer culture.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
People fail to realise that we didn't win our indo-pak wars because we're neccessarily good at waging war (with the exception of 1971), but because the Pakistani military is terrible at it. Since religious fundamentalism has become deeply ingrained into Pakistani nationalism, abd consequently overcharged in their military, they're often incapable of stepping back and taking an objective, critical view of their work which is absolutely necessary for an officer. Not to say that we're immune to this by any sense, i mean Gen G.D Bakshi serves as an example of a man who's too passionate for his line of work. But unlike here where it's individualistic, in Pakistan it's ingrained into their officer culture.
In 3 out of the 4 wars Pakistan had to backtrack because of International pressure or tough resistance from India.

Although these wars were planned so well but their execution was poor.

I feel initially their Generals were better than ours exception being Manekshaw,Cariappa and maybe a few others.

The only war we have initiated strategically and won is Siachen.71 was a war put on us so i wont count that.

Presently their officer class is below average and ours is too soldiering oriented.

Thatswhy we have no Generals with vision or impressive intellect to be honest.

Army officers are coming out to be quite average with no exposure to technology and to the western Armies way of training.

Low Intensity conflicts have degraded the planning,education and exposure of the entire Army.

The false bravdo present in the regiment system to motivate the troops is shockingly being seen in officers as a second nature.

Which is shocking...Officers are supposed to be well educated,well read..and specially SF officers are supposed to be soft spoken.

I feel the standards have gown down somewhere.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
What is the intended role of our SF in any war with the Chinese or pakis? It's most probably infiltration behind enemy lines and destruction of critical infrastructure/equipment. Maybe capturing a few crucial features. Beyond that, the job will come down to air power and regular army firepower. It would be good if our SF has all the gear and detailed training of western SF, but imo it doesn't make much of a practical difference in a conventional war scenario. Neither chinese nor pakis have SF that's better than ours in either equipment or training. Chinese SF doesn't even qualify as SF by any global standards.

More important for our capabilities would be for the army to concentrate on bringing the entire infantry to ghatak standards in terms of training and equipment. Someone can enlighten me on whether that's practical or not.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
There's no concept of the best in military structures, it's outright impossible and frankly pointless to dig for that answer. It's about being effective in your assigned roles and mandates. With the tier 1 american around the world we've seen an overall convergence in mission sets, roles and characteristics of the personnel to the point that there's not much difference. In other words, CAG can do most things that DEVGRU can and vice-versa.
I know that that's why I never compare I just thought that was comman sense but as a comman man listening to people talk alot about devgurus and delta forces it just creates a picture in ur mind that people talk about them all the time must be the best

MuzzleVelocity

Not really. The bullpup experiment had pretty much matured and died by the 2010s when Tavor entered into Indian service. The 1980s and 90s saw the SA80 and FAMAS debacles

by the time Tavor entered Indian service GWOT had validated the AR type rifle already.

Will never understand how the Tavor in India happened other than it screams of political favours
Nah, you're misremembering things. The bullpup mania was strong back then. Heck even Insas had a bullpup variant made.

JConline

Country flag
For delta force , ana commando and para sf would be on same level lol
Cause they are. If it were my two pence, I'd say ANA commandos are far better off than Para SF cause
1) They've operated alongside the best SOF from the NATO countries. We're talking vanilla Navy SEALS, Green Berets. Para SF might have trained with them but still nowhere close to the ANA commandos. And more importantly, these elite forces will never reveal their best tactics in practice in training. The stuff you'll learn while operating with them, you can't learn over a few days of training.
2) I believe ANA commandos have better fighting experience. No doubt Para SF is constituted of some real bad motherfuckers but India has seen nothing close to what was terrorism in Afghanistan at its peak. Not to mention the absolutely inhospitable terrain that was in.

So, yeah. Consider it a high estimation by Delta Force to equate ANA Commandos and Para SF.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Who will train them?

You are not getting the point that we are lacking in training and skill.

New banao ya old unless you hire people it wont make a difference.
I really like fieldcraft survivalโ€™s YT channel and specifically their head of sniper training Kevin Owens who used to be a senior instructor at the US Army SFโ€™s sniper school, a green beret and a former member of Irish armyโ€™s SF unit (he was born in Ireland). He said that the first then that the Irish unit he had come from went to the international sniper competition that the US SF sniper school runs now they were severely below par however they kept coming back and were learning and applying and now they are amongst the best and getting 2nd/3rd placed in the competitions against the best of the best in the US.

Aside from a couple of weeks every year what actual interaction does Indian SF have with the rest of the units out there? Most of the time itโ€™s just the basics anyway (flat range shooting, some CQB demos etc) but Indian MoD treats these Exs as CBM only not as tactically relevant.

Iโ€™d also wager that Indian military officers (and likely Indian cultural as a whole given the stupid claims that come out of IAF exercises with foreign AFs sometimes) donโ€™t have the maturity to go up against the best and have disappointing results initially. Thereโ€™s no objective metrics for bilateral exercises by design.

if India was serious about these things it could organise international SF competitions and it could sent teams to all the various ones that are run around the world regularly

vidhwanshak

Country flag
+ I notice that NSG went one time to that international CT run in Jordan and never went back. Did they have less than stellar results and not want to be shown up again? Quite disappointing they didnโ€™t have the professionalism to improve and go back if thatโ€™s the case
R u talking abt KASTOC?

They did participate 2 times
2017 and 2019. 2018 as well
2017:
1656239017208.png

2018:

1656239092642.png

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles