Indian Special Forces

rkhanna

Country flag
I feel like the 75th ranger unit is a better comparison to para sf than green beret, although 75th is called a mix of sf and light infantry its role and ops are very similar to sf and is an exceptional unit, it is said that 75th see more action then green beret (heard from green beret or seal don't remember), I can't make up my mind if we are on the same level as 75th, better or worse if I am awfully wrong then please correct me, should we even compare para sf to 75th?
I have been saying this for ages. The mission profiles and capability today of IA SF is equal to that of US Army Rangers. The FID skills we had learnt and built up through the 80s and 90s are been lost or have been lost.

75th usually act as a QRT/Support Team for the SMUs in SOCOM for ex during op Kayla Mueller along with the Delta Force
Not the 75th. Only one company of rangers is assigned to JSOC. They get upskilled to support the Tier 1 assaulters. And it's primarily for DevGru because Seals are great assaulters but striggo when it comes to normal infantry engagement.

rkhanna

Country flag
75th isnt Tier 3
Tiering is a US mil system. Tier I is for counter terror units Tier II are conventional military SOF.

It's not an indicator of skill but turns out that way as Tier I units do not operate in a conventional battle space and that implies more risk taking hence better soldiers.

SGOperative

Country flag
Tiering is a US mil system. Tier I is for counter terror units Tier II are conventional military SOF.

It's not an indicator of skill but turns out that way as Tier I units do not operate in a conventional battle space and that implies more risk taking hence better soldiers.
Tier 1 Has operated in the conventional way in the Gulf War and at the start of Iraq war, their Tasking was reduced post 2011

SGOperative

Country flag
I have been saying this for ages. The mission profiles and capability today of IA SF is equal to that of US Army Rangers. The FID skills we had learnt and built up through the 80s and 90s are been lost or have been lost.

Not the 75th. Only one company of rangers is assigned to JSOC. They get upskilled to support the Tier 1 assaulters. And it's primarily for DevGru because Seals are great assaulters but striggo when it comes to normal infantry engagement.
In my view thats extreme downgrading, got something to back that up?

rkhanna

Country flag
Tier 1 Has operated in the conventional way in the Gulf War and at the start of Iraq war, their Tasking was reduced post 2011
Doesn't mean tier I does not take on conventional mil taskings. They are still a military unit and as such a subunit of SOCOM But within the battle space they will pursue targets of greater risk and greater strategic importance. GWOT Iraq has some pretty interesting stories. ( Refer book relentless strike)

Tasking hasn't been reduced post 9/11 it's been enhanced - based off skills learnt during hunting Serbian war criminals across the Balkans. GwOT is JSOC bread and butter.

The way JSOC is set up is that one squadron of a SMU is forward deployed in their war zone to aid CIA/Theater commanders one unit is deployed for global energies one trains and one is on R&R

Last edited:

mupper

Country flag

The Tier system was a budget line, it then became memed into what it is now.. but it's not how units are officially classified.

rkhanna

Country flag
The Tier system was a budget line, it then became memed into what it is now.. but it's not how units are officially classified.
Right. But to denote CT units against Conventional Mil Units right ?

rkhanna

Country flag
where will you draw the line
Line for ? What is a conventional military operation and what is not ? Well if your country is at war and your unit is in theater it's a conventional military operation.

If it's the 'War on Terror" and you are fighting ISIS, AQ, Taliban, Haqanni network, Narco Gangs etc etc are your unit is undertaking it's CT mandate and you are likely to find yourself fighting in the horn of Africa, latam, ME, SEA - not on a fixed battle field.

SGOperative

Country flag
Line for ? What is a conventional military operation and what is not ? Well if your country is at war and your unit is in theater it's a conventional military operation.

If it's the 'War on Terror" and you are fighting ISIS, AQ, Taliban, Haqanni network, Narco Gangs etc etc are your unit is undertaking it's CT mandate and you are likely to find yourself fighting in the horn of Africa, latam, ME, SEA - not on a fixed battle field.
Tier 1 is SMU which is not restricted to CT i think that went off there rest great info

rkhanna

Country flag
Tier 1 is SMU which is not restricted to CT i think that went off there rest great info
Like I said leaving the nomenclature aside JSOCs primary mission is CT outside the United States. The fact they are military units does not mean they get excluded from a war.

That being said GWOT has hardly been a conventional war

SGOperative

Country flag
Like I said leaving the nomenclature aside JSOCs primary mission is CT outside the United States. The fact they are military units does not mean they get excluded from a war.

That being said GWOT has hardly been a conventional war
Yeah but Delta Force and Devgru pre date the SOCOM, if i am not wrong the first war where SOCOM played a active role was the Gulf War. The tasking of SMUs from my understanding is of strategic importance mostly but if they are caught the host nation will take responsibility unlike in Black ones. Thats my understanding looking at their previous ops.

rkhanna

Country flag
Yeah but Delta Force and Devgru pre date the SOCOM, if i am not wrong the first war where SOCOM played a active role was the Gulf War. The tasking of SMUs from my understanding is of strategic importance mostly but if they are caught the host nation will take responsibility unlike in Black ones. Thats my understanding looking at their previous ops.
SMU role in the 1sr gulf war was very little. They were still being properly set up. They actually polished their capabilities in the 90s in the Balkans.

But yes in the 1sr gulf war they were utilised the same as normal SOCOM assets not as they were intended. Delta also saw action in Panama.

Post 9/11 alot of credit also goes to Rumsfield for shoving the SMU mandate down conventional commanders

Reference: Book Relentless Strike

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles