Indian Special Forces

Waanar

Country flag
Ugh!

I don't want to know any info about that sh!t.

It seems like when it comes to miniaturization & product engineering IRDE is like a generation behind Tonbo Imaging. Ugly & more importantly, oversized and more than likely overweight.
I'd rather see a lot more Thermal usage.
We bash the Indian soldier's options a lot but one very sensible thing I've seen with them is an early and heavy emphasis on thermal sights by Ghatak platoons.
Initially, I was not too appreciative, but there have been some freaky videos of Taliban wiping out ANA soldiers with those like flies. That wouldn't have been possible with NVGs.

What causes interference in thermals visions, people?
I know NVGs suck when exposed to normal or bright light but what may have same or worse effect on thermal sights? What kind of terrain are thermal sights unusable in? Cold desert? Hot desert?
Just trying to gauge their effectiveness vis-a-vis NVGs...

Scramjet

Country flag
We bash the Indian soldier's options a lot but one very sensible thing I've seen with them is an early and heavy emphasis on thermal sights by Ghatak platoons.
Initially, I was not too appreciative, but there have been some freaky videos of Taliban wiping out ANA soldiers with those like flies. That wouldn't have been possible with NVGs.

I know NVGs suck when exposed to normal or bright light but what may have same or worse effect on thermal sights? What kind of terrain are thermal sights unusable in? Cold desert? Hot desert?
Hot surfaces, it becomes difficult to interpret in specific objects having erratic temperatures.
infrared radiation cannot go through water or glass. Infrared radiation is reflected off of glass, with the glass acting like a mirror so in this situation TI is useless.
Lastly, the resolution of TI matters in surveillance and military usage.

Waanar

Country flag
Hot surfaces, it becomes difficult to interpret in specific objects having erratic temperatures.
infrared radiation cannot go through water or glass. Infrared radiation is reflected off of glass, with the glass acting like a mirror so in this situation TI is useless.
Lastly, the resolution of TI matters in surveillance and military usage.
There's this fusion goggles, I think. Dual tubes with both Thermal and NV.
Heard a former DEVGRU member talk about it in his podcast.
I'd think they'd be a more sensible choice than GPNVG.
Not that I'm a soldier or something but... Yeah...

Scramjet

Country flag
There's this fusion goggles, I think. Dual tubes with both Thermal and NV.
Heard a former DEVGRU member talk about it in his podcast.
I'd think they'd be a more sensible choice than GPNVG.
Not that I'm a soldier or something but... Yeah...
Yes, tonbo makes one too, it's called duvi
Few pages back i wrote an article on it

Scramjet

Country flag
Some tech stuff :
FLIRs make pictures from heat, not visible light. Heat (also called infrared, or thermal, energy) and light are both parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, but a camera that can detect visible light won’t see thermal energy, and vice versa.

Thermal cameras detect more than just heat though; they detect tiny differences in heat – as small as 0.01°C – and display them as shades of grey or with different colors.

On the other hand
NVGs/NODs/NVDs use optoelectronic image enhancement, which works by sensing small amounts of infrared light that are reflected off objects and then electrically amplifying that light into a characteristic glowing green/white image depending upon phosphor screen it has

The major pitfall of night vision image intensifiers is that its effectiveness decreases as nearby light decreases. This means that if the night is cloudy and overcast, blocking the light from the moon and stars, there is a dramatic decrease in the clarity of the night vision image. The same is true if fog is present, and intense rain can reflect light off many different surfaces, making it difficult to see clear images, these conditions render passive night vision devices unusable.

The major pro of using a thermal imaging camera is the fact that it requires no light to function, and strenuous weather conditions do not affect its function either. Through fog, smoke, overcast or dust storms, the thermal imaging camera will always show reliable, clear pictures that detect potential hazards with heat signatures.

To get the best of the two worlds, thermal and nvg monoculars are mounted together with a common
Interface that generates an overlapped image
(Pic 3)

Pic1: difference between natural/thermal image
Pic2 : NVG/NOD POV
Pic3 : PSQ 20 generated image (thermal + intensified)
Pic4 : para SF operatives with helmet mounted thermals (tonbo's)

View attachment 93234

View attachment 93235

View attachment 93236

View attachment 93238
Here

Gessler

Country flag

Just trying to gauge their effectiveness vis-a-vis NVGs...
As a general rule:

I2 NVG for land navigation, CQB room clearing, driving

TI for scanning regions from a fixed position, sniping, finding targets

I had once written a bit more detailed post about TI/I2:

Knowitall

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Not as clear refined and finished as the US one but good overall considering this was back in 2014.

Wonder if they decided to continue the development or if it stalled after sometime.
This was like more than 7 years ago dude, it is 2021 and they might have made it far better.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles