Indian Special Forces

abingdonboy

Country flag
I believe it's also due to some ego issues that NSG wasn't used properly in kashmir.
100%, Army leadership refuses to even acknowledge the existence of NSG in JK, even bungles like EDI haven't changed their mindset.

Remember all the BS coming out from the retired fauj community post Pathankot stating that NSG had failed and PARA (SF) should've been given the mission? This is their mindset.

What proves that it is purely an ego issue is that 100% of the SAG are from the army's own men and the NSG task force commander is always a senior IA officer. They just don't like the idea of an outside unit under MHA doing what they perceive as their work.

SFs don't exist to do photoshoots

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
NSG also is training for a marine role, with the help of coast guard hovercrafts.
Just like having a wide array of small arms in the armoury for familiarisation, NSG gives their operators as much exposure to different insertion methods as possible not knowing what contingency may come up in the future. Doesn't mean they will be doing amphibious ops.

Gessler

Country flag
I don't think we can read too much into the M4/SCAR/FN2000 sightings- I'm 95% sure that's just for the camera
Yeah, they got a lot more of these in Armory for familiarization & testing. Even Tavors/X-95s.

I am still on the fence wrt to the MPX rollout, yes it's being seen more for these public events but the vast majority of NSG when you see the still have the MP-5 as standard issue. The marching contingent had a lot of MPXs but the 51 SAG guys that were there on alert still had MP-5s so don't know how much to read into MPX sightings
One thing's for sure - its certainly been selected over the Vector for whatever competition they were running, its been procured in quantity & its sightings are on constant rise (compared to Vector which outside of a handful of times in shooting range setting has never been seen again).

Replacement of MP-5s is unlikely to happen overnight, so I do expect to keep seeing a lot of them in years to come. But I think the ratio will keep increasing in favour of MPX.

Might be a similar story with the high cuts

But given that they clearly have high cuts in quite substantial numbers (and with a few operational guys) surely COMTACS have to be on the agenda at some point?

Focus also really needs to be given towards night fighting, more operators are being seen with a NOD instead of just the lead man as previous SOP was but we all know the limitations of the monocular NODs plus still yet to see any NSG operator with a LAD- not even one built into the sights like the MOD SOFs have. Surely it's only a matter of time before the Tonbo BNVD-P is with these guys?

View attachment 90567
Sure but what I'm more surprised about is that NSG seems to have not caught on with the recent trend of Indian units adopting TeamWendy EXFILs (Paras, Ghataks, even CRPF), and as per almost ever review I read the TeamWendy padding & retention system is the most comfortable in the business...dunno why NSG instead chooses to go with what are obviously some knock-off versions of OpsCore/Gentex FAST.

+ do you think the sight seen on the first F-2000 might be the Arjun @Gessler ?
Nah, I finally found what it is - knew I'd seen that form factor somewhere before (thank you Arma 3 community mods)

It's the Zeiss (now Hensoldt) ZO 4x30i

First time seeing this in Indian use.

Last edited:

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

Global Defence

New threads

Articles