Indian Special Forces

abingdonboy

Country flag
By the way I was listening to an ex Delta/CAG guy on Mike drop podcast and he mentioned that once he finished his career at Delta he was offered a gig at KASTOC in Jordan to begin training of their SOF, as part of this he raised up a training staff (ex US SF) and then started to train the trainers in Jordan to make them self sufficient

it’s no coincidence you see some pretty Gucci gear and slick drills from Middle East forces and maybe even some Africans if they are buying in this kind of talent and aren’t afraid to get expertise from the global market. It’s kind of ironic that the Indian military will buy any piece Of equipment from seemingly any market on earth but won’t ever get the expertise from the same markets in how to actually operate said equipment properly, the most they’ll do is invite Shifuji or that couple who have 0 military expertise to come teach their guys how to yell ‘commando’

it’s not that surprising then To see the rot- all the resources but no idea and no intent. No shame in running around the world for boots and basic equipment but tapping the global market of Human Resources? Their egos won’t allow them, they know better of course

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
By the way I was listening to an ex Delta/CAG guy on Mike drop podcast and he mentioned that once he finished his career at Delta he was offered a gig at KASTOC in Jordan to begin training of their SOF, as part of this he raised up a training staff (ex US SF) and then started to train the trainers in Jordan to make them self sufficient

it’s no coincidence you see some pretty Gucci gear and slick drills from Middle East forces and maybe even some Africans if they are buying in this kind of talent and aren’t afraid to get expertise from the global market. It’s kind of ironic that the Indian military will buy any piece Of equipment from seemingly any market on earth but won’t ever get the expertise from the same markets in how to actually operate said equipment properly, the most they’ll do is invite Shifuji or that couple who have 0 military expertise to come teach their guys how to yell ‘commando’

it’s not that surprising then To see the rot- all the resources but no idea and no intent. No shame in running around the world for boots and basic equipment but tapping the global market of Human Resources? Their egos won’t allow them, they know better of course
Taking CQB classes for civilians from YouTube is far better than what is being taught here by so called "experts"

abingdonboy

Country flag
Taking CQB classes for civilians from YouTube is far better than what is being taught here by so called "experts"
I’ve definitely seen some far higher standards from civvie instructors (both ex mil and full civilians) in the US than what is generally taught to Indian units. That said most of the time civilians aren’t taught military tactics in the US just the basics of CQB or dynamic tactics, even when ex US military SFs do run tactical training in foreign countries afaik they are not allowed to impart the most high end tactics developed in tier 1 units

Kumaoni

I’ve definitely seen some far higher standards from civvie instructors (both ex mil and full civilians) in the US than what is generally taught to Indian units. That said most of the time civilians aren’t taught military tactics in the US just the basics of CQB or dynamic tactics, even when ex US military SFs do run tactical training in foreign countries afaik they are not allowed to impart the most high end tactics developed in tier 1 units
I remember this one old room clearing of a mountain division. It was sloppy as hell. Amerimutts really stepped up their CQB frills tbh and room intervention.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I remember this one old room clearing of a mountain division. It was sloppy as hell. Amerimutts really stepped up their CQB frills tbh and room intervention.
Training is only ever a journey, it’s not going to be straight line.

in the same podcast the delta guy mentioned that there came a time when US SF (green berets) started to struggle with CQB and a lot of GBs that would make it passed Delta selection were being kicked out during OTC (training) because of CQB issues so delta started to send their guys to run training elements inside Green Berets’ pipeline. Even then he said when he was training the GBs and staying with them for a while when he got to witness Delta CQB drills again he was amazed and taken aback at their skill level after spending time away and even thought they were going to get hurt because they were being so aggressive

bear in mind Green berets are already elite mofos and even their ‘poor’ standard of CQB are many many leagues above what any Indian unit could do on their best day.

DumbPilot

Country flag
IA has lost more high ranking officers and COs in 10 years than the US has lost since WW2. ‘Leading from the front’ is a tacit admission that they don’t trust their NCO class
The Israelis also do the same thing..

1694836756853.png

1694836769437.png

An officer's death is still pretty bad, however you can also argue on the fact that if the officer is also at the front and has first hand account of the situation as it unfolds, he can take proper action at the correct time. The NCOs are there to keep the unit running. The officer is there to take decisions and trust that the NCOs can carry that task out, and when needed the NCOs take imperative on their own as well, and military history in India has many accounts of such happening.

Kumaoni

View attachment 222593

View attachment 222594

An officer's death is still pretty bad, however you can also argue on the fact that if the officer is also at the front and has first hand account of the situation as it unfolds, he can take proper action at the correct time. The NCOs are there to keep the unit running. The officer is there to take decisions and trust that the NCOs can carry that task out, and when needed the NCOs take imperative on their own as well, and military history in India has many accounts of such happening.
Yup.
In the 1971 Indo Pak War when an officer and JCO were both hit, it was usually an NCO which took charge of the assaulting platoon and carried the assault home.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag

Dr Seema Rao is better than any Ex seal team 6

abingdonboy

Country flag

View attachment 222593

View attachment 222594

I can see the logic and I’m 100% sure it made sense historically but with the improvements in ISR, radio comns, datalinks etc etc it actually seems like it can be counter productive to have leadership in the field especially such senior leadership who aren’t meant to be directed tactical ops but focusing on the strategic picture

it’s also pretty clear that the Israelis are referring to junior officer leadership which every military will have in the field, the Indian military takes this even further and has freaking COs ‘leading from the front’. To me that’s a damning indictment on their trust in their NCOs and a dereliction of duty for the aforementioned reasons. Whilst these COs are in the field who is monitoring the bigger picture and liasing Up the command chain? There’s a reason setup and running of TOCs/JOCs are the de facto means of C&C for almost every NATO military today

this is before we even talk about the threat to the senior officers’ own security, the high value targets they cause and the devastation to morale and tactical effectiveness that will occur if these leaders are lost to enemy action.

Kumaoni

I can see the logic and I’m 100% sure it made sense historically but with the improvements in ISR, radio comns, datalinks etc etc it actually seems like it can be counter productive to have leadership in the field especially such senior leadership who aren’t meant to be directed tactical ops but focusing on the strategic picture

it’s also pretty clear that the Israelis are referring to junior officer leadership which every military will have in the field, the Indian military takes this even further and has freaking COs ‘leading from the front’. To me that’s a damning indictment on their trust in their NCOs and a dereliction of duty for the aforementioned reasons. Whilst these COs are in the field who is monitoring the bigger picture and liasing Up the command chain? There’s a reason setup and running of TOCs/JOCs are the de facto means of C&C for almost every NATO military today

this is before we even talk about the threat to the senior officers’ own security, the high value targets they cause and the devastation to morale and tactical effectiveness that will occur if these leaders are lost to enemy action.
CO "leading from front" is true for only 50% of cases.

Half of the time the CO gets killled due to poor SOP following.

abingdonboy

Country flag
CO "leading from front" is true for only 50% of cases.

Half of the time the CO gets killled due to poor SOP following.
If they weren’t in the field to begin with they wouldn’t be at risk

having a colonel or even deputy CO physically in the line of fire blows my mind more and more the more I think about it. These are meant to be decision makers and strategic leaders who have decades of experience under them, they have a command staff and a command chain to maintain so either they are having to transport and setup a command element wherever they go or they simply don’t so they are completely out of touch with the strategic picture. The latter actually fits when you consider this triggers ever increasing big wigs to have to come down to the field, during all these incidents what do you see reported? XYZ commander is personally monitoring/visiting the action, GOC is at the scene etc.

again this is before you even get into the logistics and confusion of it, a senior officer turning up in the battlefield is a distraction and causes resources to be moved away to facilitate Their arrival, then they need to be briefed then they need to be accommodated etc etc. as I said, in the US command elements can tap into almost any ongoing operation anywhere in the world from anywhere in the world

Sure india isn’t the US with US money but fighting a decades old fight on Indian soil and this is still how they are running the show? Literally line of freaking sight? Either egos are too inflated or these guys don’t have a clue.

IAF and IN actually have a much better grasp on C&C/C4I imho (for obvious reasons) and have invested a hell of a lot in the backend infrastructure to coordinate this.

the chilling thought is how the IA would plan to run a conventional conflict if their junior leadership/NCOs aren’t empowered enough and command leadership is so unable to make battlefield decision making, are you going to have COs sitting in the back of IFVs or running around the trenches?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles