Indian Special Forces

Tactical Doge

๐•ฑ๐–”๐–”๐–‘๐–˜ ๐–—๐–š๐–˜๐– ๐–†๐–“๐–‰ ๐–†๐–“๐–Œ๐–Š๐–‘๐–˜ ๐–‹๐–Š๐–†๐–—
Country flag

Tactical Doge

๐•ฑ๐–”๐–”๐–‘๐–˜ ๐–—๐–š๐–˜๐– ๐–†๐–“๐–‰ ๐–†๐–“๐–Œ๐–Š๐–‘๐–˜ ๐–‹๐–Š๐–†๐–—
Country flag
+ who are here is actually surprised to learn that the fantasies of Indian SF having secret armouries of high tech gear are just that?
Not actually surprised, but my optimism have been trampled upon lol

Tactical Doge

Country flag
Tag me in photos which are to be posted or else i will just cut copy paste from twitter
Okay
Post the crop of the Para operator running the M4 with @AVINASH4061 sir's input as caption

Gessler

Country flag
It was M4 always and everytime for the following reasons.
1. Easier to carry, balanced CENTRE OF GRAVITY.
2. Better Accuracy.
3. Lesser recoil, hence preferred both in CQB and long range engagements.
4. Thicker barrel implies longer sustained rate of fire.
5. Extremely modular, allowing plethora of attachments.
6. Never encountered a stoppage in the duration of my tenure, not once.
Many thanks for replying!

Vindicates what I've been saying on this forum since long but bullpup fanboys just won't stop pitching Tavor as some sort of an M4 killer. If that were true then they should ask themselves why is it then that Israel's own Special Forces use M4-derived rifles far more than any Tavor/X-95.

Gessler

Country flag
And for those members who are interested in the whole bullpup v/s AR-15 debate, I direct them to have another go at two pieces that I've wrote on this forum last year, while keeping in mind the specific points raised by @AVINASH4061 above:

1)

" Bullpups (not just Tavors but in general, going back to AUG days) as a CQB-oriented concept were thought up during the times when regular platforms were all battle rifle-length like M16A2.

Since then advances in metallurgy & gas system design, together with new ammo types ensured that even short-barrel carbines could be properly employed in CQB without compromising on muzzle velocity, or being unable to successfully suppress as was the case with early AR-15 pattern CQBRs like XM4/XM177. So today with likes of HK416D, Colt Commando, SIG Sauer MCX and Daniel Defense Mk.18 available, one need not look to bullpups as an answer for CQB. In fact the more evenly-spread weight & mass distribution makes regular rifles like AR-15s more suitable.

That's why pretty much all SOFs in the world worth their pennies - including those from countries that otherwise issue bullpups to regular infantry (like UK, Israel, Australia, France until recently etc.), routinely use only AR-15 based platforms for their SOF assaulters. "

2)

" ... the Tavor may have been cutting edge back in early 2000s when we bought them but is no longer today (at least not the version our military SFs are using which is the basic TAR-21).

Given we are one of the first (if not the first) real-world users which put the Tavor through the paces in many obverse environments (desert, tropical jungles, extremely high-altitude tundra etc.), our inputs are likely to have been invaluable to IWI in designing and developing further iterations of the Tavor like the X-95, Tavor-7 etc.

Unfortunately, forces under MoD haven't standardized on any of these improved variants. So we paid the price for going with a new, untested platform but got none of the reward.

The Tavor as it exists with Paras isn't the best gun around. Majority of SOF units the world over (including Israeli ones like Sayeret Matkal, Shayatet 13 or Police units like Yamam) would much prefer an AR-15 platform. The fact that many Paras still prefer to carry M4s (which are a much older design than TAR-21s) speaks volumes.

The TAR-21 lacks primarily in three areas:

• Bullpup design & position of ejection port makes transition shooting uncomfortable, difficult. It does have design features meant to deflect the casings, but the gases still make it not an ideal platform for those who are big on shoulder transitions especially in CQC.
  • Not ideal to suppress. Also, exacerbates the already-present problem of gases from ejection port. New Tavor 7 incorporates a 4-position gas regulator to deal with the issue but this isn't on 5.56 TAR-21.
  • Not very customizable. Yes, it can still take a day-night sight combo but due to lack of full-length rail they have to go with a "one size fits all" approach. Also, the options are extremely limited. No quad-rail on the handguard so use of stability-enhancing grips isn't possible either (something which even non-SF units like RR are routinely using nowadays).
Some of these issues were addressed in subsequent iterations of the Tavor but like I said, our SFs haven't adopted any of them. Probably thanks to procurement lethargy. Buying weapons for an entire regiment involves hundreds of crores so not something that could be done at unit-level either.

I would much prefer the SFs to adopt a modern AR-15 platform like Daniel Defense MK18 which has excellent reliability (equal if not better than Tavor), and also acquits itself exceptionally well in all the areas where TAR-21 comes up short, as well. "

Haldilal

เคฒเฅœเคคเฅ‡ เคฒเฅœเคคเฅ‡ เคœเฅ€เคจเคพ เคนเฅˆ, เคฒเฅœเคคเฅ‡ เคฒเฅœเคคเฅ‡ เคฎเคฐเคจเคพ เคนเฅˆ
Country flag

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
IMG_20210407_220936.jpg
IMG_20210407_220947.jpg

He says that the given Col was CO during 2016 Surgical strikes, is he right cause I till now knew Col Sandhu was CO.
And secondly he says only 4 para sf and 9 para sf teams participated, but didn't Lt Gen DS Hooda say that some Ghatak troops also participated.
Can someone ask him to clear this as I am not on Instagram

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles