Indian Special Forces

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Yes, but i guess they're doing it on empty mags so pulling the charging lever would lock the bolt rearwards, and needed to be released from bolt catch on left hand side - hence this sort of ;drill; here.

also notice one guy tried to insert the mag as if he was reloading an AK or INSAS, i.e. in those ;nose-in-rock-back; style with front of the mag being inserted at angle etc...then prolly realised it's just drop-in-out sort of thing so pushed it inside the mag well...

along with ;tactical; reload practice they also need proper familiarisation with internal workings of the firearm to easily understand gist behind all these things, else it's just musle memory thing that would someday fail them in heat of the fight
So why are they cocking the rifle after the reload? Why cant they just start from the bolt locked to the rear and then do the reload? I think some idiot instructor came up with this.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Wait what? If they are doing a tactical reload there will be a round in the chamber so they should not need to cock it at all, if they are doing an emergency reload they’d just need to load a new mag and release the bolt (if it has the same feature as all other AR type platforms

@Gessler does the 716 have an automatic last round bolt open feature?

even when trying to look slick the IA shoots itself in the foot and exposes the shortcomings in even basic understanding
There is a reason AKs are so popular, its so simple a monkey could operate it. Operating ARs requires more effort and training, dont get me wrong they are better but i am starting to think we dont deserve them.😂

abingdonboy

Country flag
The AR platform seems to be far to complex for our soldiers. They dont seem to understand the bolt hold open feature.
Clearly not enough effort has gone into training soldiers in the transition, it’s not the case that a rifle
Is a rifle- all need professional instruction to operate correctly and safely. The AR pattern rifles will actually be more user friendly and functional is operated properly.

I’d assume they’ll get more proficient as time goes by but it definitely doesn’t help that there’s a zoo of small
Arms within the IA and even within their own formation. How many times do you see an infantry unit worn 3 different small arms floating about (INSAS,AK, MP-9 etc)? That this makes sense to senior leadership shows how little expertise matters to them.

Gessler

Country flag
@Gessler does the 716 have an automatic last round bolt open feature?
Yes - but it seems the whole demonstration was done without any ammo so the only way to interact with the bolt at all is with the charging handle. I just hope this was a show put on for the camera.

Definitely its reinforcing improper techniques, thanks to unavailability of training aids (blanks/simunition) which could have mitigated this even in a PR setting.

They're definitely aware of the bolt hold open feature - you can see they are engaging the bolt catch with their left thumbs after charging. It seems charging is the extra step introduced here thanks to lack of rounds.

By the way, does anyone know if IA issues Blank firing adapters for training? Don't recall seeing any.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
By the way, does anyone know if IA issues Blank firing adapters for training? Don't recall seeing any.
Of course they do, there are pics of INSAS with BFA already;
1664879406769.png

notice the FN style BFA on INSAS muzzle, it is practically screwed iside the muzzle device that is threaded
1664879539925.png

^this one's from FNC, but guess same stuff is there on INSAS so yeah
likewise there already are pics of various SF units using M4 with that yellow BFA on its muzzle and so.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Of course they do, there are pics of INSAS with BFA already;
View attachment 174339
notice the FN style BFA on INSAS muzzle, it is practically screwed iside the muzzle device that is threaded
View attachment 174341
^this one's from FNC, but guess same stuff is there on INSAS so yeah
likewise there already are pics of various SF units using M4 with that yellow BFA on its muzzle and so.
The only time SFs have been seen with the yellow BFAs is on exercises in the US where they are using host supplied weapons.

you almost never see BFAs in india hence why they’ve started to use paintballs for force on force training

BlackViking

Country flag
Keyword in your post is 'should'.

Knowing IA, it's definitely possible that they haven't fully adapted to the weapon system. They're handling it the same way they would handle an AK.
"Isko to tabhi chalane ko milta hai jab hum CI/CT mission me hote hain, RR mein"
- A Koth NCO, circa 2022.

Indrajit

Country flag

He ain’t wrong.
I'm glad the CEO of SSS Defence is calling out this openly. We need more Indian defence manufacturers calling things out. While military purchases aren't going to be influenced much by public opinion, tweets like this draw public attention and a positive public perception of Indian manufacturers won't make it easy for import lobbying.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles