Indian Special Forces

Kumaoni

An airborne guy and sf ,both can jump out of a plane , does that make both of them same ?
The time period you are refering to is one where para sf was para commandos , there were no modern sop, no support arms, nothing, I would suggest you do some research online and instead of comparing things to 57 years back ,start learning about modern modus operandi of different units.
So what should be the role of Para SF then? What is all the complaining about ? That’s what I want to know

Paddy Mayne

Country flag
That idiot
Just go back in this thread u will find a grand roasting of him along with some elite predator guy
Both are true idiots and think people are fool to believe their lies
OMG! I just went back in the thread, and read a lot of things. @Dracula said that he's the son of Col Awadhesh Kumar! the writer of Nine the Special Forces! Does his father let him do this? I follow him on Quora since I heard about his book. Infact, he has answered a few questions of mine!

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
So what should be the role of Para SF then? What is all the complaining about ? That’s what I want to know
Para sf role must be like green berets
Few roles are like mentioned by @shouryav105 earlier
They must be treated and maintained as operators conducting behind the enemy lines ops, targeting hvt etc
Moreover no matter they do ops like thie regularly or not but they must be trained and equipped to do such type of critical ops
Which they aren't compiling to

Kumaoni

Para sf role must be like green berets
Few roles are like mentioned by @shouryav105 earlier
They must be treated and maintained as operators conducting behind the enemy lines ops, targeting hvt etc
Moreover no matter they do ops like thie regularly or not but they must be trained and equipped to do such type of critical ops
Which they aren't compiling to
And you base this on?

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
And you base this on?
See if u study our training and equipments through sources like videos or ex soldiers or books or anywhere
U will find their organization is stuck way too back 1990s i.e commandos
No one can deny the quality of para sf during that time but after 1990s they haven't evolved at all
They still have a commando mindset which is not regarded in world post 2000s
The sof are operators as name suggests their structure is different
They are being used in coin actively but they shouldn't as that's not their role
I personally feel IA is much into coin ops but @Angel of War has said that that's false but still let's see
Forget that!
Point is role selection and mandate designation is not clear and infact not made
It's going like koi bhi kare chalta hai but that's deteriorating the quality
If u read more u will understand better

Kumaoni

See if u study our training and equipments through sources like videos or ex soldiers or books or anywhere
U will find their organization is stuck way too back 1990s i.e commandos
No one can deny the quality of para sf during that time but after 1990s they haven't evolved at all
They still have a commando mindset which is not regarded in world post 2000s
The sof are operators as name suggests their structure is different
They are being used in coin actively but they shouldn't as that's not their role
I personally feel IA is much into coin ops but @Angel of War has said that that's false but still let's see
Forget that!
Point is role selection and mandate designation is not clear and infact not made
It's going like koi bhi kare chalta hai but that's deteriorating the quality
If u read more u will understand better
My reading and interest is military history, I’m not aware of post 2000 operations as not much literature has been released, nor have I read much on organization

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
My reading and interest is military history, I’m not aware of post 2000 operations as not much literature has been released, nor have I read much on organization
Yeah
That's what we are discussing here i.e post 2000s and especially sof wrt mandate training and equipments
It's not place to discuss wars or its outcome or about conflict or history of their overall performance or victory and defeat
Here we speak about performance of sof around the world and compare with ours no matter that country could be economically or militarily or diplomatically stronger or weaker that doesn't matter here

Kumaoni

Yeah
That's what we are discussing here i.e post 2000s and especially sof wrt mandate training and equipments
It's not place to discuss wars or its outcome or about conflict or history of their overall performance or victory and defeat
Here we speak about performance of sof around the world and compare with ours no matter that country could be economically or militarily or diplomatically stronger or weaker that doesn't matter here
Well then it’s quite hard to compare from 2000-2022 as very little literature has come out from that time (understandably). The only operation I know of is Sarp Vinash which saw elimination of 20-25 terrorists for the loss of one sf personnel.

ShoorVeer

Country flag
Well then it’s quite hard to compare from 2000-2022 as very little literature has come out from that time (understandably). The only operation I know of is Sarp Vinash which saw elimination of 20-25 terrorists for the loss of one sf personnel.
It is and that is why you see them being compared here with all kinds of western SFs. Equipment, tactics, organization everything is commented upon minutely.

I dont quite agree with a lot of what gets discussed here as it is mostly one sided discussion with a lot of talk about foreign tactics. Just wish that we could have had some original input of our way of thinking come in too. Would make the discussion a lot more interesting for sure. Everything has context and reason.

Ofcourse, if you have any resources to read about recent developments in the army with context, it would be great to share it.

Kumaoni

It is and that is why you see them being compared here with all kinds of western SFs. Equipment, tactics, organization everything is commented upon minutely.

I dont quite agree with a lot of what gets discussed here as it is mostly one sided discussion with a lot of talk about foreign tactics. Just wish that we could have had some original input of our way of thinking came in too. Would make the discussion a lot more interesting for sure. Everything has context and reason.

Ofcourse, if you have any resources to read about recent developments in the army with context, it would be great to share it.
Much of my current readings are of Indian officers who served in infantry regiments, not SF, and have written books about their battalions history and work. The only thing I have gotten from SF is elitepradtors blogs on cross border strikes and citations of individual soldiers or Lt. Cols, the latter tend to include an account of whatever operation he won an award in.

ShoorVeer

Country flag
Much of my current readings are of Indian officers who served in infantry regiments, not SF, and have written books about their battalions history and work. The only thing I have gotten from SF is elitepradtors blogs on cross border strikes and citations of individual soldiers or Lt. Cols, the latter tend to include an account of whatever operation he won an award in.
Yup. And something even more interesting to read would be insider tidbits of these ops you know. I do get to know a lot from my close relatives in the forces. Hopefully something like those talks come out.

A bit of something like this blog. I felt it was pretty genuine in what it portrayed -https://parthsarthi.wordpress.com/tag/operation-lalgarh/

This particular one is about the Operation Lalgarh. Similarly, I had read one interesting analysis of IPKF posted here in DFI.

Hope to get hands on more such literature :)

Kumaoni

Yup. And something even more interesting to read would be insider tidbits of these ops you know. I do get to know a lot from my close relatives in the forces. Hopefully something like those talks come out.

A bit of something like this blog. I felt it was pretty genuine in what it portrayed -https://parthsarthi.wordpress.com/tag/operation-lalgarh/

This particular one is about the Operation Lalgarh. Similarly, I had read one interesting analysis of IPKF posted here in DFI.

Hope to get hands on more such literature :)
I think I posted that analysis of IPKF. I also posted about PARA SF raid on Deft island which was a magnificently conducted operation

ShoorVeer

Country flag
I think I posted that analysis of IPKF. I also posted about PARA SF raid on Deft island which was a magnificently conducted operation
Oh it was you there? Haha then we've come a circle. But interesting stuff man, keep sharing when you get your hands on some. Thanks!

Kumaoni

Oh it was you there? Haha then we've come a circle. But interesting stuff man, keep sharing when you get your hands on some. Thanks!
Well, I have much stuff from pre-1990. I have almost nothing from post 2000

Kumaoni

On 11 April 2009, the 57 Mountain Division of the Indian Army based in Manipur, 21 Para (SF) along with the Para-military Assam Rifles and State Police, launched a counter insurgency operation, code-named "Operation Summer Storm" in the Loktak Lake region and adjoining Loktak Lake in Bishnupur District, located south of State capital of Imphal. The first major mobilization of troops in 2009 ended on 21 April. As the troops began pulling out, an Army spokesperson described the operation as a success, disclosing that 129 militants, all belonging to the People's Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak(PREPAK) were killed. The Forces also claimed to have located and destroyed five militant camps during the Operation and more than 117 weapons, including sixty nine AK-series rifles, forty-eight rocket launchers, and an unspecified quantity of explosives and improvised explosive devices (IEDs). No militant was arrested. No fatality among the Special Force (SF) personnel or civilians was reported.[19][20][21]

Is this not SF worthy?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles