Indian special forces carry out cross border operation into Myanmar. Several militants killed

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
NOW The MEA WANTS TO TAKE THE SOLDIERS CREDIT VIA THAT NOTORIOUS PARVEEN SWAMY ...
through this paid article

How MEA helped Army set stage for strike in Myanmar

Raid came after a decade-long programme of secret diplomacy reaching out to Myanmar’s Army

Written by Praveen Swami | New Delhi |

The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) played a critical role in setting the stage for Tuesday’s cross-border strikes deep inside Myanmar by securing permission, highly-placed diplomatic sources told The Indian Express. The raid, sources said, was the culmination of a decade-long — and deeply controversial — programme of secret diplomacy reaching out to Myanmar’s armed forces, facing international sanctions since a 1988 coup. Sources said New Delhi received assent from the Myanmar government on Monday for its plan to fly in special forces to attack three insurgent camps 15-20 kilometres across the border, in the dense forests of Myanmar’s western Sagaing division. The details of the operation were shared with Myanmar’s military by the defence attache at the Indian Embassy, Colonel Gaurav Sharma, after Ambassador Gautam Mukhopadhyay secured high-level clearance.

Earlier this year, sources said, Myanmar’s military had also responded to requests for action against the NSCN (Khaplang) faction, sending in troops to target its main base at Taga. However, the insurgents disappeared into the forests ahead of the action by Myanmar. New Delhi’s request for action came amid reports that the NSCN(K) was providing training to a welter of Northeast insurgent groups, including Paresh Barua’s United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) and the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB). External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj had raised the issue of military cooperation against insurgents during her visit to Myanmar in August 2014, and received assurances of assistance.

“In actual fact”, a senior diplomat said, “depending on the state of relations and how willing they are to cooperate for their own reasons, Myanmar has done more at times, so long as it is well handled and they are not put in an embarrassing position”. Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore’s admission that India crossed the border into Myanmar, another diplomat said, “could complicate things for the government there”. For years, Indian diplomats have been working patiently to secure Myanmar’s cooperation against Northeast insurgents — in the face of Western calls to back the democracy movement of Aung San Suu Kyi, then imprisoned by the military Junta. India staged limited cross-border operations against Northeast insurgents in 1995, targeting a column that was taking arms from Cox’s Bazaar in Bangladesh through the Mizoram forests.

The Army’s 57 Division, working together with the Myanmar Army, killed 38 insurgents and arrested 118 in the course of Operation Golden Bird — named after a Grimm Brothers fairytale — that summer. But Myanmar’s Army withdrew cooperation after Suu Kyi was awarded a medal by the Indian government. Then, in the late 1990s, India resumed cooperation with Myanmar, providing its military with badly-needed arms and equipment. In 2012, it was to emerge that India had resold 83-milimetre Carl Gustaff rocket launchers to the Myanmar military, which it used against Kachin Liberation Army insurgents. Sweden, which had sold the equipment to India, formally protested — and received an assurance that equipment would not be resold in the future. In the years after, though, India provided a range of equipment to Myanmar’s armed forces, including four Islander maritime patrol aircraft, naval gun-boats, 105 mm light artillery guns, mortars and rifles. The payoff from the support became evident in 2010, when the Home Ministry’s joint secretary S Singh and Myanmar Army commander for Chin state, U Nay Wing, signed an agreement that Indian forces could pursue insurgents across the border. In May last year, Ambassador Mukhopadhyay and Major General Kyaw Nyunt, Myanmar’s Deputy Defence Minister, signed a landmark agreement on security cooperation between the two countries. The agreement provided for coordinated patrolling and intelligence sharing. Part of the reason is that Myanmar itself has become increasingly frustrated by cross-border insurgency. In March, a Myanmar Air Force jet bombed the Chinese city of Lincang, killing four civilians. The raid targeted insurgent leader Phone Kya Shin, who attempted to seize Laukkai, the capital of the self-administered Kokang region. Phone Kya Shin, also known as Peng Jiasheng, allegedly played a major role in drug trafficking. Myanmar officials say former Chinese military officials are involved in training the insurgents.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/cross-border-operations-how-mea-helped-set-stage-for-strike/

Praveen Sami is very subdued this time!!!

the relationship is give and take not all one way as Swami wants us to beleive.

india helps to flush out Myanmerese militants and gets help in return.All senior diplomats know this. Myanamar is not acting out of charity or the fear of india. It is a reciprocal arrangement.

The explicit announcement is needed to send a strong message across to india's enemies both within and outside that the gloves are off.

Swami & co are slyly arguing that in your face announcement by GOI has harmed ties with myanamar.

Expecting the world to believe Modi govt errd on this count.no wonder they dont want their friends in PAk to even get the slightest idea , that if a spectacular mumbai like strike is mounted by PAK, Modi govt may give similar retaliation.

That is the sole aim of this article.

you can descern the same useless line of parveen sami when he questioned the terror boat sinking episode.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
Joo should be bhery careful @ maulana Blackullah, :peep: nehi toh feminazi aunti ji eha aa ke tohar thak-ki-tiki kar denge ! :hehe:
:eek:mghaha:
or BBC will pay prestigious visit to his home for documentry film " pakistani anchour molested by kala pani in new delhi. .

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I wish SF has worn body cams in this raid, won't mind the footage be released even after 5-6 years.

anupamsurey

Country flag
I wish SF has worn body cams in this raid, won't mind the footage be released even after 5-6 years.
it will not be like they show in Movies. first it is not a close quarter battle like they do in Urban areas.
all you will see is trees, and foliages in present situation.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
it will not be like they show in Movies. first it is not a close quarter battle like they do in Urban areas.
all you will see is trees, and foliages in present situation.
I was not speaking in terms of PR value, was more interested in possibility of capturing the events for further investigation. Like upon completion of mission, body count can be tallied against initial images. Delta would be the ones that got away and images can be used for further tracking .

I am sure our SF guys have proper debriefing SOP but visual info is far batter than descriptions.

My two paise.....

anupamsurey

Country flag
I was not speaking in terms of PR value, was more interested in possibility of capturing the events for further investigation. Like upon completion of mission, body count can be tallied against initial images. Delta would be the ones that got away and images can be used for further tracking .

I am sure our SF guys have proper debriefing SOP but visual info is far batter than descriptions.

My two paise.....
by the nature of this operation i can only understand that, our heroes went in, softened the target and flushed the terrorists. the remaining were neutralized by our men. this operation was conducted from a distance and when the OP was finished they had to rush off from the spot.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
by the nature of this operation i can only understand that, our heroes went in, softened the target and flushed the terrorists. the remaining were neutralized by our men. this operation was conducted from a distance and when the OP was finished they had to rush off from the spot.

Nothing such can be or should be imagined unless the details emerge... and I say why should details be known to any other than military professionals... after all it is not their business. All others should dwell in the realm of politics and diplomacy ....:daru:

sob

Mod
Country flag
@pmaitra and @Bhadra Gentlemen you are senior members here and very good debaters with posts we look forward to. Please do not attack each other personally.

Thanks

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!

marvi memon ka jalwa. she should visit delhi uber taxi and i will be the driver

:):):):drool::drool:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: sirjee

on a lighter note
क्लास में मास्टर साहब किसी एक लड़के को उठाकर चार पाँच झापड़ रसीद कर देते थे तो बगल वाले लड़के की भी फट जाती थी.........
यही हालात म्यांमार घटना के बाद पाकिस्तान की भी है !!! - WA

Zebra

Country flag
Indeed, they did good job, but why they announce / talked about it in media.....!

Just keep it going.

pmaitra

@pmaitra and @Bhadra Gentlemen you are senior members here and very good debaters with posts we look forward to. Please do not attack each other personally.

Thanks
I am still waiting for @Bhadra to apologize to @DingDong for levelling unfounded and slanderous accusations against him. He has a habit of doing this, again and again.

I would also like @Yusuf to take note of this.

It is a pity that we don't have @Kunal Biswas to keep the thread clean and objective.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

Thanks

I will accept any retribution if found responsible or guilty for this ,,,, I feel I am being deliberately victimised. you are aware of it and you have been watching it.

I raised a correct and sensitive issue of some Soldiers of this country being called mercenaries or suggestions to that effect. I also tried to educate this moderator but he is so adamant not even realising that he is unnecessarily treading on falsehood and hurting soldiers sentiments.

Instead he must publically apologise for calling our soldiers as mercenaries. Had I been moderator I would have thrown him out for this insensitive behaviour.

What if I am a Gorkha myself serving this nation ??

By the way who is this guy above the constitutional provisions.. which I had put up for his knowledge..

pmaitra

I will accept any retribution if found responsible or guilty for this ,,,, I feel I am being deliberately victimised. you are aware of it and you have been watching it.

I raised a correct and sensitive issue of some Soldiers of this country being called mercenaries or suggestions to that effect. I also tried to educate this moderator but he is so adamant not even realising that he is unnecessarily treading on falsehood.

Instead he must publically apologise for calling our soldiers as mercenaries. Had I been moderator I would have thrown him out for this sensitive issue.

What if I am a Gorkha myself serving the nation ??
@Bhadra,

Yes, this is a sensitive issue. This is not a sensitive issue because anybody insulted any member of the armed forces. Nobody insulted them. It is a sensitive issue because you falsely accused @DingDong of insulting the Gurkha soldiers, when his comment was simply an objective statement.

Any individual who serves in the Indian military, but is not an Indian national, is a mercenary. I deemed it right, so I came to the defence of @DingDong.

I gave you the dictionary definition of "mercenary." You were not happy with it. Then I pointed out the United Nations definition, which was ironically posted by you, which, apparently, you have consistently refused to read. Then you resort to cheap publicity stunt and tried to play to the gallery with your chicanery about 48000 Gurkha soldiers, which is a strawman you made up all by yourself, just to pose invective at others.

And what do you mean by soldiers of this country? Soldiers of the Indian army who are citizens of a foreign country are not of this country. Let me make this simpler for you. A Nepalese citizen is not an Indian. Do you get it? Nepal is a poor country, and service in the Indian and British Armies is a lucrative career option. That is why they serve. If they had other options, they would not have joined the Indian Army. We should be grateful to them for their sacrifices, but we should not try to change the definition just to suit our emotional ineptitude.

Yes, I am adamant, because I think, instead of adamantly trying to educate me, you should make an effort to educate yourself.

Every time I see such adamant behaviour from you, I make an effort to politely point out those points. I did that in the thread about DRDO what was from 2015, which you attempted to nullify with an article whose latest date was 2009. You did that again in another thread about minimum wage. Then you got countered, and you started whining about others ganging up against you. If the one countering you is a moderator, then you whine about moderators.

Please make an effort to read what others have written, and most importantly, read your own posts.

As far as this topic is concerned, by definition, an individual serving in the military of one country while being the citizen of another country, is a mercenary. This is neither an insult, nor a praise. It is a definition. Period. If that offends you, suit yourself. Just be careful before you raise slanderous accusations against others.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@Bhadra,

Yes, this is a sensitive issue. This is not a sensitive issue because anybody insulted any member of the armed forces. Nobody insulted them. It is a sensitive issue because you falsely accused @DingDong of insulting the Gurkha soldiers, when his comment was simply an objective statement.

Any individual who serves in the Indian military, but is not an Indian national, is a mercenary. I deemed it right, so I came to the defence of @DingDong.

I gave you the dictionary definition of "mercenary." You were not happy with it. Then I pointed out the United Nations definition, which was ironically posted by you, which, apparently, you have consistently refused to read. Then you resort to cheap publicity stunt and tried to play to the gallery with your chicanery about 48000 Gurkha soldiers, which is a strawman you made up all by yourself, just to pose invective at others.

And what do you mean by soldiers of this country? Soldiers of the Indian army who are citizens of a foreign country are not of this country. Let me make this simpler for you. A Nepalese citizen is not an Indian. Do you get it? Nepal is a poor country, and service in the Indian and British Armies is a lucrative career option. That is why they serve. If they had other options, they would not have joined the Indian Army. We should be grateful to them for their sacrifices, but we should not try to change the definition just to suit our emotional ineptitude.

Yes, I am adamant, because I think, instead of adamantly trying to educate me, you should make an effort to educate yourself.

Every time I see such adamant behaviour from you, I make an effort to politely point out those points. I did that in the thread about DRDO what was from 2015, which you attempted to nullify with an article whose latest date was 2009. You did that again in another thread about minimum wage. Then you got countered, and you started whining about others ganging up against you. If the one countering you is a moderator, then you whine about moderators.

Please make an effort to read what others have written, and most importantly, read your own posts.

As far as this topic is concerned, by definition, an individual serving in the military of one country while being the citizen of another country, is a mercenary. This is neither an insult, nor a praise. It is a definition. Period. If that offends you, suit yourself. Just be careful before you raise slanderous accusations against others.

The real colours are out ..... that you are a hate monger !!

The subject of Nepal and Bhutan who serve the Indian Armed forces and retire / discharged are our ( I say Our - this contry's) ex- servicemen and are allowed same dignity and privileges as you or rather more than you. That is a conscious National policy and I care two hoots for your hatred and pathological abnormality.

_ By splurging your unrealistic and hateful feeling, you have come out with true colours.. It means your are spreading hatred and are guilty wilfully rather than by mistake.

_ What will happen to those thousands of teachers, businessmen, doctors, engineers and other Indian citizens who earn their living in Nepal being Indian citizens ? Are not they too mercenaries?

_ Gorkha soldiers served Sikh Army, Mogul Army, Army of Jodhpur, Udaipur and Bikaner and many other princely states before serving the British and Indian Army. No one considered them and called them mercenaries. And here we have a self conceited man indulging in stupidity. History is witness to their bravery and loyalty to India when they stood fast and your many Indian citizens including Bengalies would run away from the battle.

- If constitution of India allows them to serve Indian forces and does not categories them as mercenaries who the heck are you.

- Till the time any individual of the earth or even from Mars is under Indian Arms and Indian Army soldier, he is an Indian citizen. A Gorkha soldier serving Indian Army is subject to Indian laws and does not claim separate nationality.

If you carry on further like this I will sue you in a court of law.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
2 things:

After a long time we seem to have at last found a real leader in Modi,

and the Pakistani reason is epic. :D

pmaitra

The real colours are out ..... that you are a the monger !!
You are full of, . . . , fabrications and all.

The subject of Nepal and Bhutan who serve the Indian Armed forces and retire / discharged are our ( I say Our - this contry's) ex- servicemen and are allowed same dignity and privileges as you or rather more than you. That is a conscious National policy and I care two hoots for your hatred and pathological abnormality.
Neither @DingDong, nor I have denied dignity to anyone serving in the Indian Armed Forces. You are a dishonest man and a pathological liar. You have absolutely no sense of honour.

_ By splurging your unrealistic and hateful feeling, you have come out with true colours.. It means your are spreading hatred and are guilty wilfully rather than by mistake.
It is your mind that is hateful, that you try to project guilt onto others by shrewdly and wilfully misrepresenting what others have said.

__ What will happen to those thousands of teachers, businessmen, doctors, engineers and other Indian citizens who earn their living in Nepal being Indian citizens ? Are not they too mercenaries?
Doctors, businessmen, are not combatants. Strawman.

_ Gorkha soldiers served Sikh Army, Mogul Army, Army of Jodhpur, Udaipur and Bikaner and many other princely states before serving the British and Indian Army. No one considered them and called them mercenaries. And here we have a self conceited man indulging in stupidity.
Indians serving the British Army were mercenaries. They were serving a foreign nation, not their motherland. That is why they never hesitated to open fire on civilians at Jalliwanalla Bagh. I don't have any regards for them. I don't know about you.

Don't try to invoke colonial era vassalhood. India is a Republic, and Princely States have been abolished.

- If constitution of India allows them to serve Indian forces and does not categories them as mercenaries who the heck are you.
Nobody claimed the Constituion does not allow them to serve in the Indian military. My objection is with your false and fabricated accusation that @DingDong insulted 48000 Gurkha solders, when he never insulted anyone.

- Till the time any individual of the earth or even from Mars is under Indian Arms and Indian Army soldier, he is an Indian citizen. A Gorkha soldier serving Indian Army is subject to Indian laws and does not claim separate nationality..
Red Herring.

If you carry on further like this I will sue you in a court of law.
Go ahead. Do it yesterday. I dare you to take away my Fundamental Rights.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles