Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya g

Country flag
Thanks. I believe the turban emblem is the only picture we have of the official SG emblem.

Is the subedar in NSG?

SPECIAL GROUP

Subeidaar Sahab..The highest ranking soldier in any unit.Only Subeidaar major is above him.

Notice the side tabs on Arms reading SPECIAL GROUP..unlike most pics where it is missing.

Credits-INDRA

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Thanks. I believe the turban emblem is the only picture we have of the official SG emblem.

Is the subedar in NSG?
Seems like he was.

This is by far the best pic of SG in olive greens that i have come across.

I was told tht they dont wear Shoulder cords by my friend who was a Ghatak.(CIJWS and best marksman RR).And here we can see that he is not wearing a shoulder cord.

Moreover,like you said the badge on his turban and the side tabs on his arms..never seen them before.

The service ribbons are impressive too...

#High altitude service
#Op Vijay medal(not too clear)
#Op Parakram
#Special Service
#Siachen medal.
#20 years service

Last edited:

Willy2

And what if they end up being spies?

Read this..

http://thestrategictimes.com/chinese-spies-1962-war/

If this can happen in 1962..imagine what can happen in 2017.
OK...We are no longer in 1962 too
Our intelligence now well aware about Chinese spies within Tibetan refugees...I think few years ago I read an article about intelligence submitting reports about Tibetan-Chines spy on border monasteries many of them near critical chickens neck....
I think modi-Doval duo might be more serious about this issue

Also all these above incident of 1962 , those "civilian" porter don't born in India ...current generation of Tibetan refugees are more Indian than Tibetan...even if SFF formed with intention of liberating Tibet ,I think cadre want it more for Indias interest rather Tibetan ppls
And SFF certainly don't consist random tibetan...if there is mole , military intelligence would find it before it can do much damage.....those who qualified to serve India must be most patriotic ,hardworking and loyal

In this same logic we should't allow kashmiris and Indian muslims too in Army........is't it ?

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
OK...We are no longer in 1962 too
Our intelligence now well aware about Chinese spies within Tibetan refugees...I think few years ago I read an article about intelligence submitting reports about Tibetan-Chines spy on border monasteries many of them near critical chickens neck....
I think modi-Doval duo might be more serious about this issue

Also all these above incident of 1962 , those "civilian" porter don't born in India ...current generation of Tibetan refugees are more Indian than Tibetan...even if SFF formed with intention of liberating Tibet ,I think cadre want it more for Indias interest rather Tibetan ppls
And SFF certainly don't consist random tibetan...if there is mole , military intelligence would find it before it can do much damage.....those who qualified to serve India must be most patriotic ,hardworking and loyal

In this same logic we should't allow kashmiris and Indian muslims too in Army........is't it ?
Well,the first generation of Tibetan SFF were resistance fighters(1958).They started getting killed by the PLA and PLAAF due to which they ran towards India and reached Arunanchal Pradesh.Where they were picked up by the Army and trained to be used in the 62 war.

The war ended before they could be used and in 1971 they were used against Pakistan.They were a guerrilla unit then.

Since then a lot has changed.We have more SFs in the east.And i dont know what would motivate the current generation of Tibetans to serve in the SFF.

The Army is clear in what it wants.Its getting exactly that and i m happy to see what has been done in the last 30 years.

During my trip to the east i saw that every year the Army used to catch atleast 1 Chinese spy and this was a decade or so ago.I think Chinese invests a lot in this.Chinese are the masters of this.

My fear is that we should be cautious.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Guys,

I have a doubt..some of you are running pages on FB where you get your cool pics from.So try asking out from your friends in Special Forces this..

See a triangle badge below his left chest in white background..Let me know what this badge is.

and this too!!(again left chest)

Both are known SG operators matyred in Kashmir.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Back in the 90s this is how Para SF operated.Terrorist camps were inside Indian Kashmir.Under cover ops were the need of the hour.Many operators infiltrated terrorist groups.(even SOG did that).

This was the time even some of own troops called Anantnag as Islamabad.(the biggest terror camp was there)

Para SF and in particular 9 Para conducted hundreds of ops and killed thousands of terrorists in a terrain where if you get hit it would take hours if not days to get you to a hospital.

The hi tech gear they wore was this..khan suit,few mags,ak and even pistols were rare.We have 200 casualties in the last 30 years of Para ops.

I wonder what would the casualty be had hi tech gear and air ambulance been provided since the start.They didnt even have Blood clot bandages back then.

There is much more that Para SF has done than surgical strikes.And for that matter some of the Ghatak ops have been no less than Special forces ops.

I have been not too impressed by the surgical strike book.I hope we deserve a book which covers all ops the indian SF has done.Even including Marcos raids in Sri Lanka and some of COBRA operations.

sthf

Country flag
Sandels in formal dress? First time I've seen this (yes I know he's injured), must have a special expemtion.
I think I see plaster on his right foot. Most likely, he was unable to wear his boots due to that.

reddevil9

शत्रुजीत
#Men_apart_every_Man_an_Emperor

1. Para Wings - A Paratrooper wing is earned after successful completion of Parachute basic course and worn on right Brest pocket above nameplate

2. Anti Tank Guided Missile (ATGM) course Qualified - Earned during Battalion support weapon (BSW) course after successfully hitting the target thus he is trained to knock out Armored vehicles and Tanks from range.

3. Diving Badge - It depicts a Diver fully geared with combat load and ready to undertake specialized underwater ops. As a diver having endurance, strength and stamina he is also skilled in various weapons, explosives and equipment for specialized underwater ops and as saboteur.

4. Combat Free fall - Earned after combat free fall course, 50 jumps from 30,000 ~ ft learning both HAHO (High altitude high opening) and HALO (High altitude low opening) jumps.

5. Balidan Badge - 1st proposed by Col Megh Singh, it's earned by select few after grueling probation period 1st successful op

6. Qualification wing - indicating 25, 50, 100 jumps by star, worn below left breast pocket.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
What f@@@king Shiite. Indian para did all the reccee themselves. Infact 3 soldiers inflitrated the ruf camp. Lived inside it. Gathered Intel and then came out to be part of the assault.

The Sas however did take part in a separate rescue mission a few weeks before in SL. But not even comparable to the scale and complexity of op khukri
The British provided 2 Chinook helis and one C130 to block rebels wireless communication. The UN provided Mi-8,Mi-17 and Mi-26 helis.

The SAS were inducted reluctantly as part of a deal to get Chinook helicopters which were the only ones available to fly in anyweather and anytime. (The number of SAS are in single digit)

It was 1 officer not 3 who acted as a driver to the rebel negotiator and hence brought important pics and info for the ops.No SAS was involved in reccee.

The 2nd Para SF conducted the op.

The SAS helped as long as their officer who was treated badly by the rebels was rescued.After that no help came and the majority of the op was conducted after that.

Jay99

Country flag
The British provided 2 Chinook helis and one C130 to block rebels wireless communication. The UN provided Mi-8,Mi-17 and Mi-26 helis.

The SAS were inducted reluctantly as part of a deal to get Chinook helicopters which were the only ones available to fly in anyweather and anytime. (The number of SAS are in single digit)

It was 1 officer not 3 who acted as a driver to the rebel negotiator and hence brought important pics and info for the ops.No SAS was involved in reccee.

The 2nd Para SF conducted the op.

The SAS helped as long as their officer who was treated badly by the rebels was rescued.After that no help came and the majority of the op was conducted after that.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/jul/17/sierraleone

SAS behind Sierra Leone rescue

Full details of Op Khukhri is available in the "Mission Overseas" by Sushant Singh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles