Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuco

Country flag
This deal is FMS straight outta Uncle Sam's supermarket, So sadly no TONBO here🥺.
Have they been ordered yet? If not tonbo may still be in consideration and we are not sure whether they have been tested by the forces.

Tuco

Country flag
Ah man. Shucks. Would be way better if TONBO is involved. Hope they give a little bit of funding to the likes of tonbo, which actually come up with first class products, and cut a little funding to BEL, which only make red dot scopes.
BEL sights are atleast a gen beind and some of them looks like dumbells where as alternatives in the market are so compact and more capable. I have seen Lakshmikanth presenting there sight holding both bel's and tonbo's side by side it was amusing. Well he said that army sometimes actually asks for such stuff even though alternatives exists and he would get laughed at if he would present them in international competitions.

operatorgrumby

Country flag
As I mentioned earlier, Sandeep Unnithan is a highly reliable journalist who works for India Today; he is not a noob. That image is NOT just for representation; it's accurate. Nevertheless, the army will never officially acknowledge this.
I'm not contradicting whether Sandeep Unnithan is noob or pro:facepalm:.
I'm questioning if you had any specific details about the Nods, whether they are Dual or Quad tubed apart from that picture ? (because that picture is probably made by some tech guy at India Today & we all know how well informed our media is in this type of context as they thinks Rafale and Tomcat are the same bird😁 )

If the army has to officially disacknowledge this, they never would have made the original deal public.

another_armchair

Country flag
Have they been ordered yet? If not tonbo may still be in consideration and we are not sure whether they have been tested by the forces.
Tonbo CEO went vocal against GoI.

Babu will act like 'kaan khajoora' and urge Def Min to punish them. Knowing Babus well, expect domestic orders to dry up in coming months and a forced sell off in a couple of years if Tonbo doesn't bag large orders from overseas.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Babu will act like 'kaan khajoora' and urge Def Min to punish them. Knowing Babus well, expect domestic orders to dry up in coming months and a forced sell off in a couple of years if Tonbo doesn't bag large orders from overseas.
you are wrong.

Tuco

Country flag

Yeah may well happen some greased babu may well grab this opportunity with both the hands.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I hope I am proved wrong. Let's track Tonbo's growth with Indian forces in the next 1-4 years.

The most vindictive creature in human form is not a jilted lover but a rebuffed/snubbed Govt. servant, bureaucrat.
well you are right in my city one babu after getting suspended stole all the important files as a result many employees didn't got salary . Then u can imagine what happens at higher level btw what happened to military university it is still not cleared by cabinet I am sure one babu is sitting on the file.

operatorgrumby

Country flag

Besides our MOD has a mantra of always looking for foreign products with combat experience, whether cheaper local variants are available although they are good products if not better. Mind you am not a naysayer but that ATAGS-ATHOS deal forced me to say this.

It's like you are straight outta college graduated , and they ask you for any work experience during interview 🤣🤣🤣 ( ohh this comparison is so lame😏)

another_armchair

Country flag
Besides our MOD has a mantra of always looking for foreign products with combat experience, whether cheaper local variants are available although they are good products if not better. Mind you am not a naysayer but that ATAGS-ATHOS deal forced me to say this.

It's like you are straight outta college graduated , and they ask you for any work experience during interview 🤣🤣🤣 ( ohh this comparison is so lame😏)
ATHOS was part of regular trials along with other 155/52 systems. ATAGS was still in development phase.
Once trials were over, it was natural for the parties involved to present it to MoD and commercial bids were opened which put Elbit ATHOS as L1.
So we can't have them in the same sentence unless we have comparative trials of Elbit Athos and ATAGS. Mobility also comes into play here. We know where ATAGS stands in terms of weight.

ATHOS is lighter and cheaper than ATAGS.

Meanwhile, I believe OFB guys have also thrown a 155/52 version of Dhanush to make the competition interesting. They also have a truck mounted 155/52.

At least our forces are spoilt for choice here unlike earlier. Lets hope right decisions are taken soon to ensure forces get the offensive capability on time.

operatorgrumby

Country flag
ATHOS was part of regular trials along with other 155/52 systems. ATAGS was still in development phase.
Once trials were over, it was natural for the parties involved to present it to MoD and commercial bids were opened which put Elbit ATHOS as L1.
So we can't have them in the same sentence unless we have comparative trials of Elbit Athos and ATAGS. Mobility also comes into play here. We know where ATAGS stands in terms of weight.

ATHOS is lighter and cheaper than ATAGS.

Meanwhile, I believe OFB guys have also thrown a 155/52 version of Dhanush to make the competition interesting. They also have a truck mounted 155/52.

At least our forces are spoilt for choice here unlike earlier. Lets hope right decisions are taken soon to ensure forces get the offensive capability on time.
Okay let's put an end to ATHOS-ATAGS debate here...mods won't gonna like it here, talking about big guns in a SF thread you know:troll:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Tonbo’s primary business is overseas, his latest complaint was against delayed payments not orders.

Gessler

Country flag
As I mentioned earlier, Sandeep Unnithan is a highly reliable journalist who works for India Today; he is not a noob. That image is NOT just for representation; it's accurate.
Have asked him directly, will see if he responds.

Nevertheless, the army will never officially acknowledge this.
Army rarely acknowledges ANY induction publicly, even highly publicized affairs like SIG deal. The Public Information department is a joke. All it does is put out a stream of medal recipients, obituaries, and official visits. There's little else.

It's up to the journalists (India Today does a commendable job at this, btw) to bring the information to public. Remember that even months after SIG 716 was inducted, ADG-PI treated it as non-issue. It was Shiv Aroor/Sandeep Unnithan on IndiaToday TV that broke the first public images of 716 in IA use.

Similarly, eventually most of anything & everything bought by forces (whether regulars, SFs or otherwise) will make it to public domain via third party media sources. The kit bought under this deal will be no different - this isn't some super-secret deal purchased with black budget - it was a CCS/DAC-approved acquisition which is in same classified sense as SIG deal.

Gessler

Country flag
This is just an image for presentatio🙄.
Do you have any official or reliable source stating that they are indeed buying 400 Quad Tube nods???
As I mentioned earlier, Sandeep Unnithan is a highly reliable journalist who works for India Today; he is not a noob. That image is NOT just for representation; it's accurate. Nevertheless, the army will never officially acknowledge this.
The picture is just for representation, from the horse's mouth:

AZTEC

Country flag
The picture is just for representation, from the horse's mouth:

Sigh* 😔, I thought we were finally getting quad nods. Disappointed.

Didn't he ask Sandeep to clarify the model of NVG that’s being bought?

Gessler

Country flag
Sigh* 😔, I thought we were finally getting quad nods. Disappointed.

Didn't he ask Sandeep to clarify the model of NVG that’s being bought?
This isn't the first time procurement of this kit is being reported. This was in works for almost 1.5 years now. Sandeep reported on it then too...the type of NOD was never mentioned.

My guess, it would be either single or dual tube PVS-14 or PSQ-20 if we're a bit more adventurous. Either way they'll still be a considerable leap in tech compared to anything our SFs currently have like BEL PNVG or ITL Mini N/SEAS.

AZTEC

Country flag
The tactics used by Para SF are better than those used by US Army SF, said a Green Beret after exercise Yudh Abhyas 2011.

I am not sure whether this was noticed before so I am pointing this out now.

Here’s the quote put together by me:
"There is a mindset out there that says because you put on two dollars worth of velcro or you put on a green beret, you go to Iraq [and] Afghanistan a couple of times, you know, all of a sudden, you’ve reached the level of War God and you can do no wrong.

Within the first two-three days we were learning new tactics [from Para SF] that were just, I personally would’ve never thought of, and in some ways, they were, you know, better than ours.

...[keep] saying to yourself [that], you know what, I am not perfect and there are people out there who are better than me...
"- American SF soldier
Here is the full video and the link where I found this; it’s a must watch:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles