Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Even Somalis and Nigerians are!

At some point this pathetic equipment level will cost performance.
SOD will solve this equipment shortage.

BTW, comparing Indian SF units to Nigeria and calling their gear better is funny and unfair!

Floydian

Country flag
Leigh Neville's book 'Modern Snipers' is a must read for anyone interested in this subject.

The 'Stalking' portion of most modern Western/NATO-spec Sniper Schools which typically makes up the culmination of the preceding multi-week course consists of the two-man team's (sometimes lone) ability to start out about 1200+ yards away from a set location and then approach within 200 yards of the location over a time limit of 2-3 hrs.

All the while instructors (who are damn good at spotting movement, been doing that their whole life) at the location are on constant lookout for the sniper team with binos and other observation gear.

Any suspected movement and a walker dispatched by the instructors heads out to the probable location of the sniper team, get caught, and you're ejected from the course.

But that 200 yards is just the pass threshold though...guys like this one, as demonstrated, could cut it a lot closer.

Unfortunately I do not know much about the sniper courses conducted by the IA/Indian SF...either because I didn't look around well enough or because of the lack of enough in-depth material to go on.
This reminds me of an thermal imaging video shared by the IA to the media wherein a Porki sniper (using some sort of a thermal camo to remain undetected to thermal/infrared cameras) was seen sneaking near to an IA trooper and aiming at him....

rkhanna

Country flag
Fundamental question about IA - Is equipment provided by formation or by regiment?

I am asking in context of AFSOD - will it make any difference at all to equipment levels?

@rkhanna @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR
AFAIK ( and I could be way off base) but regimental level equipment is demarked by Corp and battalion level equipment is demarked by Regiment.

SOD should be under CDS

Lupus

Country flag
PicsArt_10-07-08.54.26.jpg

That's Major Rohit Suri, KC of the 4th PARA(SF) and he's wearing specs.

What are the eyesight requirements in army SF ?

rkhanna

Country flag
If he can clear shooting range then its no issue.
Just as an FYI eye sight is more than testing on a static shooting range. It's discerning colours / shapes / patterns at 100m / 200m/ 300m .

It's checking recog range in both daylight and low light.

It's also checking peripheral vision.

The army checks combat effectiveness across all spectrums of operational duty

Lupus

Country flag
Just as an FYI eye sight is more than testing on a static shooting range. It's discerning colours / shapes / patterns at 100m / 200m/ 300m .

It's checking recog range in both daylight and low light.

It's also checking peripheral vision.

The army checks combat effectiveness across all spectrums of operational duty
Let me put it this way.

A volunteer has moderate myopia during selection but does well when tested for vision related combat effectiveness parameters which you described.

Will he be disqualified ?

rkhanna

Country flag
Let me put it this way.

A volunteer has moderate myopia during selection but does well when tested for vision related combat effectiveness parameters which you described.

Will he be disqualified ?
Honestly I have no clue. My gut says . Yes with constant (every 3month) reequal testing

ataru09

Country flag
View attachment 39188

That's Major Rohit Suri, KC of the 4th PARA(SF) and he's wearing specs.

What are the eyesight requirements in army SF ?
I found this online for NDA. Maybe army SF is more stringent. Cant vouch for the accuracy:

"A candidate should be able to read in a distant vision chart 6/6 in better eye and 6/9 in worse eye with or without glasses. Myopia should not be more than 2.5 D and hypermetropia not more than 3.5 D including Astigmatism."

https://www.ssbcrack.com/2015/09/indian-army-eye-sight-for-nda-cds-tgc-tes-ncc.html

rkhanna

Country flag
Will he be allowed if he undergoes LASIK/PRK and achieves stable vision of 20/20 ?
While I have been told LASIK tech has grown leaps and bounds. i got mine done in 2006 and it has greatly messed with my night vision. and from my research this is a known / common side effect. which is why i think a soldier may avoid it.

But again i dont know if the surgery tech improvements have overcome that.

The essense is this. He can technically qualify with one leg also. All he has to do (constantly) is clear his qualifications

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
AFAIK ( and I could be way off base) but regimental level equipment is demarked by Corp and battalion level equipment is demarked by Regiment.

SOD should be under CDS
I dont understand..how can all units of same regtt be in one corp?

Lupus

Country flag
While I have been told LASIK tech has grown leaps and bounds. i got mine done in 2006 and it has greatly messed with my night vision. and from my research this is a known / common side effect. which is why i think a soldier may avoid it.

But again i dont know if the surgery tech improvements have overcome that.

The essense is this. He can technically qualify with one leg also. All he has to do (constantly) is clear his qualifications
That's interesting. I wasn't aware of this.

So if a SF volunteer can prove (and constantly keeps proving) his combat effectiveness then army is willing to overlook his physical/medical shortcomings.

Is this a well established norm ? How often does this happen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles