Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair

A suicidal freak who doesnt want to survive is much much dangerous than an enemy who wants to go back alive.
A combination of such is found in select North Korean SFs. Brutal training with live ammo and completely and utterly brainwashed to stamp out last ounce of morality and 100% committed to the ideology of the state.

rkhanna

Country flag
What I have been saying for a While

An interview with Lt Gen Katoch

http://www.theweek.in/theweek/cover/prakash-katoch-special-forces-interview.html

"Our special forces have been conducting cross-border strikes. The surgical strikes of 2016 were made public. Your comments.

SF operations should always be shrouded in mystery. We could learn from the SAS (Special Air Service of the UK) and stop thumping our chest about surgical strikes. Most idiotically, we also paraded some of the participants [in the surgical strikes] on national television, and publicised in print and electronic media how the strikes were conducted. It not only jeopardises future operations, but also depicts the gross ignorance of our politicians as regards to SF operations. If opposition [parties] were asking for proof, they should have been told to go jump into the nearest well."

What is the primary task of the special forces? Are we using them optimally?

The primary task of the special forces is across the border, not within the country. Counter-insurgency tasks can be easily carried out by the Rashtriya Rifles, the infantry, and the Assam Rifles in the northeast, with SF used very selectively within our borders, if at all. Our special forces comprise the Army’s special forces battalions, MARCOS of the Navy, Garuds of the Air Force, Special Action Groups of the NSG (National Security Guard) under the ministry of home affairs, special groups of the Special Frontier Force, and the Aviation Research Centre under the cabinet secretariat. Given our peculiar environment and structures, what India needs is special forces optimisation in two tiers.

Are our special forces well-equipped when compared to their counterparts in other countries?

We have expanded our special forces rapidly, ignoring global norms. As a result, the special equipment and weapons have had to be shared, creating voids. Till recently, the SF units did not even have a full complement of Tavor assault rifles, but held a mix of AK and other rifles. Essential equipment like laser target designators are yet to be bought. There are plenty of voids compared to what is the authorised weaponry and equipment. I would not like to comment more on this issue.

Do you think the special forces and the intelligence apparatus are working in tandem to achieve the best possible results?

The government appears unconcerned about the optimisation of the special forces. We lack a national policy for the employment of SF. This should be worked out and implemented by an SF Cell [comprising the special forces and R&AW officers] under NOD.

rkhanna

Country flag
In the Above interview with the General there are 2 graphs where he lays down 2 Structures. National Operations Division and a Special Operations Division.

Its quiet Evident that in his proposed Structure the NOD is to function more like US JSOC with your Black (TIER I) units working alongside Intel Agencies and the SOD to function like SOCOM which are staffed by all the White SOF units

Specially interesting is that he proposes separate dedicated Aviation Unit for both for Infil/Exfil

mayfair

A hard hitting interview by the general about the critical shortage of equipment that has been facing the SFs. The powers that be would do well to take note of this.

I disagree with him about the SAS though, they are quite publicity savvy as far as Special forces go. If he had said SBS or Canadian JTF2, I would have understood.

Also regarding the bit about expanding SFs rapidly. Is he talking about large scale conversion of Paras to Para SFs?

rkhanna

Country flag
A hard hitting interview by the general about the critical shortage of equipment that has been facing the SFs. The powers that be would do well to take note of this.

I disagree with him about the SAS though, they are quite publicity savvy as far as Special forces go. If he had said SBS or Canadian JTF2, I would have understood.

Also regarding the bit about expanding SFs rapidly. Is he talking about large scale conversion of Paras to Para SFs?
Yes. But to all sof units. Take the creating of a new NSG SAG unit from a SRG team. The disparity in kit is grossly apparent .

Adhoc knee jerk short term thinking is what he is warning against.
These are not filler units. There is a write way to do it and not

My personal pet peeves. Just look how young SF operators are getting today. The avg age was a lot higher a decade and half back.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
I have never understood this Generals thinking to be honest.

If the SF is not deployed in Kashmir then how will the SF gain important experience and learn lessons from the battlefied?

What according to him should be the adequate strength of SF of the Army which has a strength of 1.3 million and is deployed against 2 big enemies across thousands of kilometeres across varied terrain ALSO protecting 130 crore Indians from terror attacks and hijacking and which has half of its body touching the shores in stratergic important Indian ocean?

If Indian forces were not involved in black ops then what was CIT J/X doing and what is Kulbhushan ji doing in Iran (if i may say this) and what was Gen VK Singhs Technical unit doing and how could we infiltrate into lashkar and how could we get ikhwans to fight for us and what are we doing in Afghanistan?

The SF is not equipped like US or european SF but there are a million problems in the Indian army much much bigger than giving them fancy gear.All the Arms of the Army have to be alloted funds..Has he seen the condition of a infantry soldier before complaining about the gear.

No disrespect to him and his unit but the infantry units spend much more time on the loc under enemy observation than any of his units.

The point being they too deserve good gear and it takes time.

And its funny to say we are idiots to brag about Surgical strikes coz i think the general doesnt have a tv at home or is seeing the wrong channel.

Even if he goes to youtube and types his favourite SFs name a long list of documentaries will show up.

If we didnt showcase about SS our people would think the Indiam army is upto no good and anyone can come and kill 19 soldiers and our Army does shit about it.

Secrecy at the cost of a incompetence image might be a good idea according to him but for me its just stupid.

A wise man once said ..the best weapons are those which are never used.

Stratergic weapons are for boasting only.

The most contradicting thing he says is that NSG is a special force and then he says the SF is only for across the border.

sthf

Country flag
Liberal lobby giving his 'research institute' funding...........
It's possible. I consider Saikat Datta, with whom he frequently collaborates to be a shady fellow. Or it could be that he is one of those senile nostalgics who remember "the good ole days".

mayfair

I think like the society where it comes from, army too reflects diverse sociology-political outlooks. Which is why we do see form time to time, retired personnel join one or the other political party and even contest elections.

It's not unreasonable to say that post-retirement musings by armed forces personnel are especially affected if they are formally aligned with a political ideology as we see in the case of Lt. Gen. Panag and Lt. Gen. Oberoi as compared to relatively apolitical views of Lt. Gen. Hasnain for instance.

All it boils down to is the feeling "Ïn my days we knew what we were doing and you don't."

12arya

Country flag
I have never understood this Generals thinking to be honest.

If the SF is not deployed in Kashmir then how will the SF gain important experience and learn lessons from the battlefied?

What according to him should be the adequate strength of SF of the Army which has a strength of 1.3 million and is deployed against 2 big enemies across thousands of kilometeres across varied terrain ALSO protecting 130 crore Indians from terror attacks and hijacking and which has half of its body touching the shores in stratergic important Indian ocean?

If Indian forces were not involved in black ops then what was CIT J/X doing and what is Kulbhushan ji doing in Iran (if i may say this) and what was Gen VK Singhs Technical unit doing and how could we infiltrate into lashkar and how could we get ikhwans to fight for us and what are we doing in Afghanistan?

The SF is not equipped like US or european SF but there are a million problems in the Indian army much much bigger than giving them fancy gear.All the Arms of the Army have to be alloted funds..Has he seen the condition of a infantry soldier before complaining about the gear.

No disrespect to him and his unit but the infantry units spend much more time on the loc under enemy observation than any of his units.

The point being they too deserve good gear and it takes time.

And its funny to say we are idiots to brag about Surgical strikes coz i think the general doesnt have a tv at home or is seeing the wrong channel.

Even if he goes to youtube and types his favourite SFs name a long list of documentaries will show up.

If we didnt showcase about SS our people would think the Indiam army is upto no good and anyone can come and kill 19 soldiers and our Army does shit about it.

Secrecy at the cost of a incompetence image might be a good idea according to him but for me its just stupid.

A wise man once said ..the best weapons are those which are never used.

Stratergic weapons are for boasting only.

The most contradicting thing he says is that NSG is a special force and then he says the SF is only for across the border.
besides, goin public abt the surgical strikes raised the morale of the soldiers as well as general public, even internationally they now know indians can stand up against jihadis (we hav done that in the past as well but no one acknowledged it). our soldiers were/are always awesome but now lefties/khangress cant point finger at them either wthout getting trolled by the public. so over all victory for the GOI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles