Indian Ocean Developments

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
this is just a way for getting more funds for the Australian Navy. Everybody knows that for the next decade at least neither IN nor the Chinese Navy would have the capability of going all the way to Australia " to attack them"
Australia is not going to be anywhere near the IOR people. Aus Air Power is a joke website that puts Indonesia as a threat to Australian mainland. They keep complaining about JSF, about how China is a potential danger (it is also their biggest trading partner) and how everyone is ahead of their capability while they are sitting ducks. Heck! Australia doesn't even need a standing military for defense due to their location. Wonder what they are afraid of.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
^^ Recall the snub ex Oz PM Howard got from a bunch of countries including India?

Attacks on Indians in Australia isn't helping either.

This may be senseless, but it does fit the trend.
just for the record , if i recal correctly, John Howard was quite ok woth india - i believe he agreed to supply uranium to india in anticipation of the US -india nuclear agreement---- it was his successor Kevin Rudd who reversed Howard's decision and decide nnot to supply . Howard, Buch and MM Singh got on pretty ok . is what i recall

pmaitra

just for the record , if i recal correctly, John Howard was quite ok woth india - i believe he agreed to supply uranium to india in anticipation of the US -india nuclear agreement---- it was his successor Kevin Rudd who reversed Howard's decision and decide nnot to supply . Howard, Buch and MM Singh got on pretty ok . is what i recall
Yes, some say Howard was ok with India. I would not use the term 'supply', rather he was ok with with 'selling' Uranium to India. The new government has its own reasons, which I find unjustified. In any event, whatever happened to Howard was a joint decision by several countries, India being one of them. Yet, the Australian media and commentators singled out India and even claimed that it was the Indian muscle in World Cricket that was the primary reason why Howard was humiliated. It is more about perception than anything else.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
To attack Oz, IN and PLAN will have to cross the USN. not happening.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Also, why the heck would IN attack Australia? We don't need Kangaroos and everything else is more plentiful in India! Even in cricket India has got more talent now!
As for PLAN, they are pretty busy with their friendly and not-so-friendly neighbors and will have their hands full for the next 30-40 years. No way they can go on an adventure down under.
Australian Navy is just feeling ignored and unimportant - so they are throwing tantrums to get noticed. :D

pmaitra

Funny how this thread is going orthogonally to this one: http://defenceforumindia.com/documentary/7454-oz-likely-export-uranium-india.html; and this one: http://defenceforumindia.com/foreign-relations/22939-oz-may-lift-ban-exporting-uranium-india.html

There are also talks of India-Indonesia-Australia joining hands for ... well read it yourself:

der se aaye, durust aaye (better late than never)! not bad at all.

a very interesting observation and quite contrary to what our chinese friends have to say about their country's relations with indonesia

It further commented that even more importantly the US-India-Indonesia-Australia relationship was essential to Canberra's ability to manage successfully the growing power of China.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Good luck to Australia.

They have much catching up to do!

Phenom

There is a lot of hatred towards the Aussies here,

I know the relations have not been very good and their cricketers spoil the nations image even more, but looking at the long term, it would be wise to have the Aussies on our side. In the coming decades we are likely to have a tug of war with the Chinese over the Australasian region and Australia would be able to shift the power balance in favour of either side. If the Australians move to the Chinese camp it would be near impossible for India to have influence over that region.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
There is a lot of hatred towards the Aussies here,

I know the relations have not been very good and their cricketers spoil the nations image even more, but looking at the long term, it would be wise to have the Aussies on our side. In the coming decades we are likely to have a tug of war with the Chinese over the Australasian region and Australia would be able to shift the power balance in favour of either side. If the Australians move to the Chinese camp it would be near impossible for India to have influence over that region.
In the coming 20 years, Indonesia will have far more importance than Australia IMO.

I would emphasize relations with Indonesia over relations with Australia. That seems to be what the GoI and Indian Navy are also doing.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Mods - can we please move this thread to members corner or to Indian navy - what is this discussion doing in the Indian Army forum anyway?

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
australia is another parasite nation which depends on america for military protection.so before countering china and india they should first build up a military and think of countering new-zealand,java,sumatra etc.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
If the Australians move to the Chinese camp it would be near impossible for India to have influence over that region.
hardly likely , ......aussies v concerned about china's rising power ....they may have caught on to the US idea of getting india to be a counterbalance ....that's what i think is likely the reason that gillard is more open to selling U238 to India .

sob

Mod
Country flag
australia is another parasite nation which depends on america for military protection.so before countering china and india they should first build up a military and think of countering new-zealand,java,sumatra etc.
Since when has New Zealand become a threat to Australia.

As regards to US- Aussie ties, they have been working closely since WW II or even before. They are in true terms natural allies, if we see in the context of US_UK relations. They are now building up their force levels and by end of the next decade will have a formidable defensive force.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

As regards to US- Aussie ties, they have been working closely since WW II or even before. They are in true terms natural allies, if we see in the context of US_UK relations. They are now building up their force levels and by end of the next decade will have a formidable defensive force.

These English speaking countries are indeed natural allies. We've seen how they worked in WW2, they can always duplicate it as they have maintained close military and political connections.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag

i am not saying that australia are enemies of new zealand.i am saying australia should try to acheive superiority over small countries and then try to counter big countries like india and china.also after ww2 australia became an ally of america because it wanted a security against soviet union and not because it love for american people.hadn't australia been strong enough in those days to counter the soviets they would never have joined the nato.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
i am not saying that australia are enemies of new zealand.i am saying australia should try to acheive superiority over small countries and then try to counter big countries like india and china.also after ww2 australia became an ally of america because it wanted a security against soviet union and not because it love for american people.hadn't australia been strong enough in those days to counter the soviets they would never have joined the nato.
Why would Australia try to exercise superiority over its smaller neighbor NZ when they are very traditional allies in that neighborhood? Whatever Aus does in their immediate vicinity it is almost always upon consultation and with tacit approval from the NZs.

Adux

Country flag
Oh my God!!!!..

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Why would Australia try to exercise superiority over its smaller neighbor NZ when they are very traditional allies in that neighborhood? Whatever Aus does in their immediate vicinity it is almost always upon consultation and with tacit approval from the NZs.
i feel exactly same as you do but what i cannot understand is why is australia hell bent on countering india and china.

Country flag
This is all drama by Australia to make sure they keeping getting(the top of the line) weapons from USA/NATO.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles