Indian nuclear submarines

anupamsurey

Country flag
yes having just 4 silos doesnt make any sense, its like mouth with just 4 teeth.......

right wing

Country flag
4, K4 is with MIRV for China and it can hold 12 K15, which is enough for Pakistan.
3-4 subs are good for assured counter strike against our enenies. Future ones will have more launch tubes.
none of us know how big the sub is or how many launch tubes it has...its all wide spread media narrative based on flimsy articles from SIPRI...which is well known fr its inaccuracies with regard to india.

sayareakd

Country flag
none of us know how big the sub is or how many launch tubes it has...its all wide spread media narrative based on flimsy articles from SIPRI...which is well known fr its inaccuracies with regard to india.
Have you read back pages? Go through them, then post.

right wing

Country flag
Have you read back pages? Go through them, then post.
well yes i hav,and if u can giv me one goi source fr that 6000 tonne n 4 silo story,i will back off.FACT is u cant,cause such a release never took place.
As far as data from newspapers n arms sites r concerned,for 4 years read that kolkata was a sub 7000 tonne destroyer,on induction people got to know,that it was 7500+.
Such inaccuracies n data manufacturing has been a consistent thing in our media played by "so called "defence journos...
As far as the reactor of 83Mwe,nt mw is concernd,this too is the power of s1,the prototype on land.No one knows what went into the ship,exact or more powerful or less.
Similarly i really dont get it,how come it doesnt strike ur common sense that a platinum hulled vessel is just 6000 tonnes..i mean except from newspaper clippings,do u hav any solid data to back it up?any official press release ??

Kshatriya87

Country flag
India to Lease a Second Nuclear Submarine From Russia

The Indian Navy will soon have another nuclear submarine. The government has decided to lease a second nuclear submarine from Russia, top Defence Ministry officials have told NDTV.

Currently, India operates an 8,140-tonne Akula Class submarine - renamed the INS Chakra - that was leased in 2011 from Russia for a period of 10 years, at a cost of about USD 970 million. (INS Chakra: Top 10 Must-Know Facts)

The lease conditions allow India to fire conventional weapons only from the platform. The second leased submarine will also be the same class and is expected to come with the same conditions.

India is looking at the hull of the Iribis - a Russian Akula class submarine - that was never completed after the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s.

Yesterday, the indigenously-built nuclear powered INS Arihant started its sea trials, and is expected to join the fleet in another two years. India is in the process of building three more nuclear powered submarines. The keel of the second Arihant class submarine has already been laid. (INS Arihant, First Made-in-India Nuclear Submarine, Begins Sea Trials)

The decision to lease a second submarine has been taken on two counts: One with three more nuclear submarines coming up, the Indian Navy needs to train manpower. Moreover, with the Indian submarine fleet depleted, the leased submarine will also pitch in to bridge the capability gap. India has about 13 conventional submarines and one nuclear, out of which only half are available for deployment at any given time.

To protect its maritime interests, India needs a minimum of 24 submarines. However, delays in implementing the 30 year submarine plan, drawn up in 1988 which proposed to procure six submarines from the West and another six from Russia and then amalgamate the technology and come up with indigenous design, has resulted in India not having a credible sea denial capability.

Plans to buy additional Scorpene-class submarines from France were also turned down by the current government. Instead, the Government wants submarines to be made in India. The Navy has been asked to identify an Indian ship yard that can build submarines after acquiring technology from a foreign partner.

sayareakd

Country flag
well yes i hav,and if u can giv me one goi source fr that 6000 tonne n 4 silo story,i will back off.FACT is u caunt,cause such a release never took place.
As far as data from newspapers n arms sites r concerned,for 4 years read that kolkata was a sub 7000 tonne destroyer,on induction people got to know,that it was 7500+.
Such inaccuracies n data manufacturing has been a consistent thing in our media played by "so called "defence journos...
As far as the reactor of 83Mwe,nt mw is concernd,this too is the power of s1,the prototype on land.No one knows what went into the ship,exact or more powerful or less.
Similarly i really dont get it,how come it doesnt strike ur common sense that a platinum hulled vessel is just 6000 tonnes..i mean except from newspaper clippings,do u hav any solid data to back it up?any official press release ??
It is our top black project. As per previous RM only file used to be with PM. Even budget is top secret and it was not their in budget put before Parliament. So you expect them to release specific data.
This is our last card to be used against our enemies, suppose to ward off any nuke attack on us in worse cae where all our land and air launch nukes are taken out.
As per as the launch tubes are concern, sagarika (k15) complex and internal pic of pontoon launch was made public.

Unless we have more then few subs those data will not be coming. Disinfo will be given to keep our enemies and friends guessing.

right wing

Country flag
It is our top black project. As per previous RM only file used to be with PM. Even budget is top secret and it was not their in budget put before Parliament. So you expect them to release specific data.
This is our last card to be used against our enemies, suppose to ward off any nuke attack on us in worse cae where all our land and air launch nukes are taken out.
As per as the launch tubes are concern, sagarika (k15) complex and internal pic of pontoon launch was made public.

Unless we have more then few subs those data will not be coming. Disinfo will be given to keep our enemies and friends guessing.
exactly!!hence we can never be sure whether its 6000 tonnes or not,very difficult to make a 6000 tonne vessel of titanium and unless its details get known on commissionin,we will never know...but can safely bet its in 8000 to 10000 tonne range

power_monger

Country flag
4, K4 is with MIRV for China and it can hold 12 K15, which is enough for Pakistan.
3-4 subs are good for assured counter strike against our enenies. Future ones will have more launch tubes.
i would love to see a day when we hold 6 nuke Subs which can fire atleast 8 MIRVed(atleast 4 warhead per MIRV) k6 missile. And each warhead similar to w88 design (450 Kt).china would not dare talk nuclear word with us once we have such power.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Eastern fleet consist of Shivalik Class and Talwars at western fleet ..

Kharavela

Country flag
as usual bullshit article from a commie newspaper
if u hav to know about the sub or our nuke srategy,follow @saurav jha on twitter,abhores bullshit,is true to the point.
Thanks mate. I know the characteristics of "The Hindu" & the quality of their news. Thats why I wanted to confirm my suspicion on the truthfulness of the report.

Last edited by a moderator:

right wing

Country flag
Thanks mate. I know the characteristics of "The Hindu" & the quality of their news. Thats why I wanted to confirm my suspicion on the truthfulness of the report.
this article was written by an amateur assuming the same characteristics of civilian pwr in say kota or elsewhere to be applicable to navy pwr.
fact is why civil nuke pwrs use 3-5 percent u235,while rest is u238.
Meanwhile,sg9,latest us reactors fr subs,is exactly opposite.The whole purpose of the grand s1 in kalpakkam was to design a naval pwr.No navy uses low enriched u235 as base fuel fr its subs,only few surface vessels (big russian icebreakers) do.
s1 in kalpakkam uses over 50pcnt u238, as per experts,it has only improved in the s2.
so a vessel whose main fuel is HEU,and expecting it to be redone every 6 months is biggest folly on part of columnist,cause it defeats entire purpose of a nuke sub.
When i said about this news to drdo experts on twitter,well i was frankly told that u dont spend crores just to rebuild a pwr design exsisting since 80s,entire project took time cause of its nuke reactor,more than anything else,and expecting it to be refilled every 2yrs is like plain imbecility.

Articles