Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

omaebakabaka

1 vs 1, its depend on total anti ship load of type 55, if AShM exceeds 40, IN destroyer chance is zero. Type 55 can easily handle 16 brahmos with 4 layer AD. Kolkata class handle upto 26/32 AShM with 2 layer AD. Sea skimming AShM reduce the number to 8/12. If missile launched less than 100km, zero chance for both.
With current missile ranges its easy to do sea denial with small missile ships but I do not see Bharat doing that like Ruskies with their karakurt or buyans, this should give us some breathing room to build the fleet for blue navy for going around the world....I think problem with our country is decision paralysis and trying to go for top of the line specs and so on vs asymetrical thinking for quick deterrence.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Now
With current missile ranges its easy to do sea denial with small missile ships but I do not see Bharat doing that like Ruskies with their karakurt or buyans, this should give us some breathing room to build the fleet for blue navy for going around the world....I think problem with our country is decision paralysis and trying to go for top of the line specs and so on vs asymetrical thinking for quick deterrence.
Russia's corvette heavy approach won't work in case of India since India has a massive coastline, and its all tropical waters.
Russia does not seek power projection far beyond its coastlines, its happy operating closer to the coast.
The Russian corvettes are relatively short ranged and have relatively docile AD systems, since they would be operating closer to the coastlines, handling whom will be a logistical nightmare since they will have to make frequent port calls.

omaebakabaka

Now
Russia's corvette heavy approach won't work in case of India since India has a massive coastline, and its all tropical waters.
Russia does not seek power projection far beyond its coastlines, its happy operating closer to the coast.
The Russian corvettes are relatively short ranged and have relatively docile AD systems, since they would be operating closer to the coastlines, handling whom will be a logistical nightmare since they will have to make frequent port calls.
I am not sure why it wont work as ours is a peninsula with one bay and with Andaman as pivot we can control vast areas of denial with missile ships as interim with long range missiles. Distributed is the way to go.....this gives us some tactical planning and quick reaction times too if we can keep the costs low to build these in numbers....quick solutions are not that many when it comes to naval build up which takes solid investments and capacity. We did use the missile ship brilliantly in 72

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
I am not sure why it wont work as ours is a peninsula with one bay and with Andaman as pivot we can control vast areas of denial with missile ships as interim with long range missiles. Distributed is the way to go.....this gives us some tactical planning and quick reaction times too if we can keep the costs low to build these in numbers....quick solutions are not that many when it comes to naval build up which takes solid investments and capacity. We did use the missile ship brilliantly in 72
In 71 we used missile boats

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Agreed, we use them effectively during the 1971 war, which is why NGMV are in the pipeline, its not as if we have completely given up on them, but neither should we go crazy in building such small missile vessels since our doctrine differs radically when compared to the Russian doctrine.
Our focus should be more on building our frigates which are pretty much mini destroyers given their firepower and tonnage.

omaebakabaka

Agreed, we use them effectively during the 1971 war, which is why NGMV are in the pipeline, its not as if we have completely given up on them, but neither should we go crazy in building such small missile vessels since our doctrine differs radically when compared to the Russian doctrine.
Our focus should be more on building our frigates which are pretty much mini destroyers given their firepower and tonnage.
I think we still need cheap ships armed with effective missiles that stay close to coast under land AD protection and can threaten anything that moves 100/1000's of miles away. Trick is to build them fast and cheap and then you can even sell them to other countries once we have the desired shape and size of our blue fleet.

not so dravidian

Country flag
I think we still need cheap ships armed with effective missiles that stay close to coast under land AD protection and can threaten anything that moves 100/1000's of miles away. Trick is to build them fast and cheap and then you can even sell them to other countries once we have the desired shape and size of our blue fleet.
Hello sir.
Long time no see 😊

johnj

For existing ships and second-line combatants like Constellation.

There's a reason why DDG-X is designed for new larger VLS, and why Franco-British FC/ASW is not subsonic either.

Russians well into Zircon development.
both are new anti ship missile. one is good for stealth fighter and other brand new and for future, both are stealthy and lrasm is nex gen missile designed for future warfare. Zircon under production. Franco-British FC/ASW a decade away, and india also developing brahmos 2.
Usn, russia and japan already started hypersonic missile defence development.
[All major naval power consider building defence systems before selling offensive missile]

johnj

long range missile. once we develop one, we deploy. and can use transport vessels and air craft to deploy them when need arise.

johnj

When those missile, IN arm its boats, ship etc. Imp point is - missile. foreign once too expensive and time consuming, but once local available, more vls/launcher in boats, ship etc.

Global Defence

Articles