Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

vampyrbladez

Country flag
An accident took place aboard one of the two Arihant Class nuclear submarines under construction. A sailor Paramjit Singh, 26 was grevously injured due to 'material failure' and died in hospital.

Navy sources asserted that all 4 submarines will be delivered before 2024 aka by 2023. Navy has formed a Board of Inquiry into the incident.

https://www.theweek.in/news/india/2...-onboard-under-construction-nuclear-.amp.html

My take :

Material failure on board a submarine means stress or strain of building materials. The singular casualty points to a single point of failure. The high pressure air system is mentioned as being in the forward area.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/vis...in-visakhapatnam/amp_articleshow/74979135.cms

Last edited:

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Further the article states that naval divers were used to locate the sailor.

The forward ballasts were possibly being tested. The inner hull got ruptured and flooding occured in that compartment. Divers rescued the sailor but it was too late.

We are looking at months of repair on the submarine. Since this vessel was under Harbor testing, my guess is that this was the third vessel (S4).

IndianHawk

Country flag
We are looking at months of repair on the submarine. Since this vessel was under Harbor testing, my guess is that this was the third vessel (S4).
It could also be 4th vassel . 3rd and 4th both are in construction . Incident seems like something gone wrong at max pressure testing . Nothing big. They may be testing limits of present material for upcoming bigger ssbn .

vampyrbladez

Country flag
It could also be 4th vassel . 3rd and 4th both are in construction . Incident seems like something gone wrong at max pressure testing . Nothing big. They may be testing limits of present material for upcoming bigger ssbn .
4th one is at an advanced stage of construction undergoing structural work. Thus it is unfit for harbour testing. Hence it is the 3rd one.

Major structural work on the fourth of the class is nearing completion and the centre would be able to take on work for the next generation of vessels as early as next year, if need be.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...realisation/articleshow/74234776.cms?from=mdr

Edit : Could also be 4th on second thoughts. Due to proximity of article from Feb 2020 and SSN advanced design being undertaken.

Last edited:

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
4th one is at an advanced stage of construction undergoing structural work. Thus it is unfit for harbour testing. Hence it is the 3rd one.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...realisation/articleshow/74234776.cms?from=mdr

Edit : Could also be 4th on second thoughts. Due to proximity of article from Feb 2020 and SSN advanced design being undertaken.
Are the SSN going to be built at the same place where Arihant class SSBN are being built or are they going to be built in a completely new shipyard??

IndianHawk

Country flag
Are the SSN going to be built at the same place where Arihant class SSBN are being built or are they going to be built in a completely new shipyard??
Different place. Arihant ssbn class will be followed by s5 class ssbn at the same place. So SSN will have to be build either on second line or someplace else.

FactsPlease

Country flag
It has more to do with production cap than abilities.
Echoing what @Indx TechStyle said:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...200-ship-requirement/articleshow/72353735.cms
Quote: "The navy currently has 130 ships and 50 more are being built, including 48 in India. "

So, will those crazy arm-seller stop taking every opportunity to defame India (ship building) capability...

-- I heard that order overloaded is also part of why GRSE did NOT mind to drop out that Philippines frigate deal (Kamorta). NOT sure though.

Last edited:

FactsPlease

Country flag
Echoing what @Indx TechStyle said:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...200-ship-requirement/articleshow/72353735.cms
Quote: "The navy currently has 130 ships and 50 more are being built, including 48 in India. "

So, will those crazy arm-seller stop taking every opportunity to defame India (ship building) capability, please...

-- I heard that order overloaded is also part of why GRSE did NOT mind to drop out that Philippines frigate deal (Kamorta). NOT sure though.
Moreover, want to add that: if IN decide to focus on limited capacity on combat ships (both surface and submerge), but rather supply vessels, I can NOT agree with it more. Although it's (just a little) odd IN is going to use equipment of same source as Pakistan. Nevertheless, it's just a 2nd-line vessel. So it's understandable. (Of course, that da*n Fincantieri scandal should be avoided).

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag
Moreover, want to add that: if IN decide to focus on limited capacity on combat ships (both surface and submerge), but rather supply vessels, I can NOT agree with it more. Although it's (just a little) odd IN is going to use equipment of same source as Pakistan. Nevertheless, it's just a 2nd-line vessel. So it's understandable. (Of course, that da*n Fincantieri scandal should be avoided).
Even the supply ship will be build in India . Turkey will just be providing design and modernization consultation .

I think our design houses ( naval design bureau) and Design team of major ports are too busy with SSBN SSN , destroyer and frigate designs that they had no time to design or optimize the supply ships.

We already have build 27-28k ton tanker in-house before.

And perhaps the Turkish presented the most optimized design beside taking up the HSL port modernization.

Also collapse of Turkish Lira might have made their bid much cheaper than any other party.

Not to mention turkey has bought some stuff from India too including a dhruv helicopter ( civilian ) and explosive , detonators etc.

It's two way street. Erdogon might have pleaded hard to save the deal. I guess we will see more Indian exports to Turkey in coming years .

Karthi

Country flag
Boeing-receives-contract-modification-for-Standoff-Land-Attack-Missiles.jpg

Indian Navy wants feasibility study to see if P-8I can be armed with Long-Range Cruise Missiles.

Armed with just lightweight air-launched Mk 54 torpedoes and Harpoon Block II anti-ship missiles, India’s P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft fleet being built and integrated by Boeing in future will get major offensive firepower as it plans to get an air-launched variant of Long-Range Land Attack Cruise Missile (LRLACM) developed by India based on India’s first home-grown subsonic cruise missile, Nirbhay, integrated into the platform if it gets clearance after conducting feasibility studies. Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) is developing an air-launched variant of LRLACM with sea-skimming capabilities both for the Air force and Navy. LRLACM with a range of over 1000 km has been planned for both Air force and Naval Aircrafts.

Indian Navy will be getting four additional P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft in May and has been cleared to procure Six more at a later stage which will take the total fleet to 18. P-8I is equipped with radar, optical and sonar sensors, and it is armed with anti-ship missiles and torpedoes. It’s designed to patrol the oceans to detect and attack threats including hostile submarines capable of firing off nuclear missiles. P-8I can carry 126 sonobuoys internally, four Boeing AGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missiles on hard points beneath its wing and Mk 54 lightweight hybrid torpedoes within an internal bomb bay. Internal weapons bay located at the rear of the P-8I are capable of accommodating Mk-54 torpedoes, Mark 82 depth charges for ASW operations, Mines, Sonar buoys and Survival Gear and are not designed to carry long-range cruise missiles like LRLACM.

Since P-8I is constructed from a 737-800 commercial airliner’s air frame, so it is also not possible to slung under the belly a cruise missile due to lower ground clearance space. P-8I has four under wing hard-points for AGM-84D Harpoon and, likely, the existing wing hard points will likely be used to carry LRLACM in future which will require some feasibility studies which will come in handy from studies done by the Boeing which is has been made in charge of similar program for the P-8A Poseidon under commands of US Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) to arm them with Long Range Anti-Ship Missiles or American origins.

idrw.org .Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website http://idrw.org/indian-navy-wants-f...can-be-armed-with-long-range-cruise-missiles/

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles