Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Advaidhya Tiwari

Thanks. Can it go below 500 meters? Can it be launched from sub?
No submarines have been tested go beyond 500 meter depth. I don't think torpedoes can go that low. But I am unsure of this.

A submarine launch version is being developed by modifying the Varunastra. I don't know the status of development.

laughingbuddha

Country flag
It has been said that the Saryu class can be outfitted as a light frigate in a conflict scenario. Are we talking about outfitting with anti ship missiles and SAMs? How many and which ones?

IndianHawk

Country flag
It has been said that the Saryu class can be outfitted as a light frigate in a conflict scenario. Are we talking about outfitting with anti ship missiles and SAMs? How many and which ones?
The usual. Barack Sam and bramhos antiship most probably. As for numbers it will match what 2000ton frigate carry. Check any 2000ton frigate on wiki and get an idea also postback here.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

indiandefencefan

Country flag
The whole concept in my eyes is quite daft.
On one hand the military say they expect short conflicts. Yet they maintain they can outfit a Patrol ship to Frigate standard when war breaks out.
Its quite likely the war will end before the ship can be converted.
This whole conversion matter is a nice thing to put on paper, but is quite impractical in a conflict scenario.
My 2 cents.

Advaidhya Tiwari

On one hand the military say they expect short conflicts. Yet they maintain they can outfit a Patrol ship to Frigate standard when war breaks out.
This whole conversion matter is a nice thing to put on paper, but is quite impractical in a conflict scenario.
My 2 cents.
So, according to you conflict happens all of a sudden within a few weeks? It takes months and one can notice the enemy preparing for war. Also, the short limited war is just skirmish. We don't prepare extensively for skirmishes. They are just tactical ploys, not strategic measure

indiandefencefan

Country flag
So, according to you conflict happens all of a sudden within a few weeks? It takes months and one can notice the enemy preparing for war. Also, the short limited war is just skirmish. We don't prepare extensively for skirmishes. They are just tactical ploys, not strategic measure
I take your point but I was referring to the time a particular dock will take to finish the conversion.
And I am not the one promulgating the theory of short sudden wars, the military is.
Just look at Balakot for example. How many of us even thought a week before Pulwama that such a skirmish will happen?
This is as close to a conflict we will ever get. Now tell me if we hadn't de-escalated and decided to launch punitive thrusts accross the border would the navy have had time to put the Saryu class in dry-dock?
My take is that the Navy in the face of conflict will most likely see it wiser to deploy the Saryu class on SLoC or deterrent patrols rather than let them languish at a shipyard.
Hence I think the conversion boast is just a paper metric rather than a meaningful strategy.

The only way I see the conversion to Frigate standard coming to pass - Heavens forbid it happens - is if the Navy takes a beating and combat capable ships are needed pronto.

My argument is not around whether wars will be sudden or have a long buildup. Im saying in either case we will not have the time to convert the Saryu, when their capabilities can be applied elsewhere.

Advaidhya Tiwari

I take your point but I was referring to the time a particular dock will take to finish the conversion.
And I am not the one promulgating the theory of short sudden wars, the military is.
Just look at Balakot for example. How many of us even thought a week before Pulwama that such a skirmish will happen?
Balakot was a surgical strike, not a war. In this case, we just calculated in current scenario, India has much higher strength than Pakistan and can crush Pakistan, even though some losses were expected. But the objectives were only limited in nature. And it was noted that Pakistan also had limited supplies and equipment to escalate.

Pakistan can always fire missiles even though it does not have conventional equipment to fight. And we have not yet completed BMD development. But, considering that Pakistan will continually attack regardless, it was considered safe to strike back and get better results. But this was by no means a major war with a major objective

This is as close to a conflict we will ever get. Now tell me if we hadn't de-escalated and decided to launch punitive thrusts accross the border would the navy have had time to put the Saryu class in dry-dock?
My take is that the Navy in the face of conflict will most likely see it wiser to deploy the Saryu class on SLoC or deterrent patrols rather than let them languish at a shipyard.
Hence I think the conversion boast is just a paper metric rather than a meaningful strategy.
Major war is something like "desert storm" of Iraq. The problem with looking at Balakot at big war is not just limited time but lack of logistics to fight beyond a certain time period. India does not have petroleum to fight wars and will have to use coal liquefaction. So, the first step of fighting any major war will be to start coal liquefaction. Without coal liquefaction, any other aspect like modifying OPV to frigate is useless as none of them will have fuel to run with!

The only way I see the conversion to Frigate standard coming to pass - Heavens forbid it happens - is if the Navy takes a beating and combat capable ships are needed pronto.
If India intends to fight a big war or sees someone else preparing logistics for the same, then India will have an option of converting OPV to frigate.

We are currently in a position of strategic balance, where we intentionally not build up defence like WW2 to avoid panicking others. The reason behind this is petroleum trade. But when the restrictions are lifted, then there will be a lot of room for maneuver. So, we need to keep options open for change
My argument is not around whether wars will be sudden or have a long buildup. Im saying in either case we will not have the time to convert the Saryu, when their capabilities can be applied elsewhere.
Wrong here.

Today, we only fight skirmishes and hence don't need to convert OPV to frigate nor do we have time. But when situation changes, then ability to convert OPV to frigate will be a very good option. There will be plenty of time to see and anticipate the change and respond to it. In such a scenario, the first step will be "coal liquefaction" to be set up to secure fuel supply.

The things like setting up of coal liquefaction, mass manufacturing of arms etc take time and that time can also be used to convert OPV to frigate in parallel.. Making OPV only vessel creates inflexibility and difficulty to adapt. Even if the situation changes, we will be left with no choice. So, we keep the option of flexibility pen. This is very important scenario

bhramos

Country flag
#FarewellCNS Admiral Sunil Lanba, CNS on his farewell visit to Mumbai, interacts with sailors of the WNC. CNS also addressed the gathering at Naval Air Station INS Shikra prior embarking ships of the sword arm ie Western Fleet at Sea 1/2

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Ah Sunil Lamba sir thank u for your service Uder him I feel we had headed towards major indigenous effort, hope it continues with the next admiral as well.

IndianHawk

Country flag
My 2 cents.
Navy doesn't need to fit patrol ship with missiles for short conflict anyway. It has plenty of firepower to take on anyone foolish enough to challenge it on home turf.
Such proposal are for long term conflicts between major powers.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

bhramos

Country flag
A delegation headed by Inspector General Kamin from Israel National Defence College visited HQWNC & interacted with RAdm Sandeep Mehta, CSO (Ops). They also visited #INSBrahmaputra, an indigenously built guided msl frigate 1/2

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles