Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Country flag
IMO, Jodhpuri suit brings best of the both worlds rather than the complete Desi Kurta-Pyjamas with sleeveless jacket/Modi jacket.

View attachment 242675

And this is the newly approved Navy Mess dress
View attachment 242677
Problem is the officers are looking like typical politicians or babus in the traditional with everyone wearing a different colour combination

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
Lets keep the matter aside whether i can pronounce it or not, its the same imposition i hate along with our southern lemurian monkeys. What about north-easterners, hindi is not native. Its not about whether i or they pronounce it or not(i myself can read and write hindi being 3rd language). But i don't want certain section to feel alienated by Sanskritisation/Hindification of everything like the Sinicization.
But you don't feel alienated by real foreign names like ahmedabad and the whole language of English, right? .

I am for going full force into replacing all the names and symbols from foreigners. And I am an atheist nationalist.

NutCracker

Country flag
C295 MRMR? can any one please post more info related not able to find much in the net

something like this with combined ASW +surveillance CUM patrol ops.

1709527863829.png

1709527931401.png

1709527940272.png

Azaad

Country flag
Wow!! Really??!! How the hell did they manage to stand up to the pisslamic armies with troops clad in full body mails at the very least??!!
Coz the armies were divided into cavalry & infantry as you may well know & then further sub divided into heavy & light infantry & cavalry. It's the light infantry I'm referring to . Usually it was done for ease of mobility & given the weather out here for most months of the year . Plus most of this category came under the volunteers who were mostly amateurs , not professional soldiers. Hence they paid for their own weapons & armour. Rewards for them apart from a measly salary was the loot they managed to steal while on campaigns.

The 5 Ks to be strictly followed by the Sikhs included one of the items I just referred to & I'm referring to the Sikhs here not even the Maratha Mavalas who fought the Afghans much more than the latter . These Sikh light infantry carried only a kambal apart from their kaccha on their bodies apart from the arms they wore obviously.

Last edited:

Blood+

Country flag
Coz the armies were divided into cavalry & infantry as you may well know & then further sub divided into heavy & light infantry & cavalry. It's the light infantry I'm referring to . Usually it was done for ease of mobility & given the weather out here for most months of the year . Plus most of this category came under the volunteers who were mostly amateurs , not professional soldiers. Hence they paid for their own weapons & armour. Rewards for them apart from a measly salary was the loot they managed to steal while on campaigns.

The 5 Ks to be strictly followed by the Sikhs included one of the items I just referred to & I'm referring to the Sikhs here not even the Maratha Mavalas who fought the Afghans much more than the latter . These Sikh light infantry carried only a kambal apart from their kaccha on their bodies apart from the arms they wore obviously.
Wow!! It's new for me. Thanks.

binayak95

Country flag

No army of those ages was entirely composed of professional armoured and trained troops. Only the nobility and their personal retinues were.

Baaki sab lungi mai.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
No army of those ages was entirely composed of professional armoured and trained troops. Only the nobility and their personal retinues were.

Baaki sab lungi mai.
Standing armies just were'nt a thing of that time. Nobilty was expected to be good at battlecraft and leading the new lot of soilders who came from the commoners. Remember Rome used to behave the same way until they were at a constant state of expansion under Ceaser. Once an army or an empire gets a strong foothold on war, that is when professionalism kicks in the troops and training structure.

Blood+

Country flag
Standing armies just were'nt a thing of that time. Nobilty was expected to be good at battlecraft and leading the new lot of soilders who came from the commoners. Remember Rome used to behave the same way until they were at a constant state of expansion under Ceaser. Once an army or an empire gets a strong foothold on war, that is when professionalism kicks in the troops and training structure.
Nah, even during the Republican era, Rome had a core of professional legions composed of full time soldiers. They were an oddity in that regard.

Last edited:

Jedi Operator

Country flag
Nah, even during the Republican era, Rome had a core of professional legions composed of full time soldiers.
I agree to yopur point but critical developments were done by Caesar, expanded the number of legions in the Roman army, increasing its overall size and capability for conquest and defense.

Blood+

Country flag
I agree to yopur point but critical developments were done by Caesar, expanded the number of legions in the Roman army, increasing its overall size and capability for conquest and defense.
True but the process was really started by Gaius Marius.

binayak95

Country flag
Nah, even during the Republican era, Rome had a core of professional legions composed of full time soldiers. They were an oddity in that regard.
oh yes
The antiquity empires, Rome, Han, Mauryan, Sassanian Persia all had standing armies.

Once those antiquity empires were destroyed - thanks to the Mongols, the Huns and the Muslims, standing armies became a thing of the past.
Primarily because centralization needed with the bureacracy to run an empire, and have funds enough to afford a standing army numbering hundreds of thousands strong was no longer possible.

That continued till the gunpowder revolution and their standing armies, which broke down in turn and led to chaos - of the post Aurangzeb period in India.

There is a wondrous book on the subject of why in history, empires were cyclical.

Powerful empires would form, only to be fall, and then reform and fall again -

"War: What is it good for?" by Ian Morris. Give it a read. Damn good book.