Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Fatalis

Country flag
I really like the implementation of RBU-6000 on Udaloy-class destroyers.

IMG_20230504_121000.jpg

If somehow we did the similar setup in our Delhi -class destroyers by putting the two RBU-6000 in place of 2 AK-630, we could have saved alot of space.

IMG_20230504_121101.jpg

Adm Kenobi

Country flag
I really like the implementation of RBU-6000 on Udaloy-class destroyers.

View attachment 202918

If somehow we did the similar setup in our Delhi -class destroyers by putting the two RBU-6000 in place of 2 AK-630, we could have saved alot of space.

View attachment 202919
There isn't enough space beneath the AK-630 mount to house something like an ASW rocket launcher.
Unless you go with one that doesn't penetrate the deck.
RBU's whole setup is around >8m deep
There would be no net change in space available as the things beneath the 630s would need to be shifted as well.
There are only 2 AK-630 left in Delhi and Mysore.

binayak95

Country flag
There isn't enough space beneath the AK-630 mount to house something like an ASW rocket launcher.
Unless you go with one that doesn't penetrate the deck.
RBU's whole setup is around >8m deep
There would be no net change in space available as the things beneath the 630s would need to be shifted as well.
There are only 2 AK-630 left in Delhi and Mysore.
not to mention the AK630's own deep ammo belt and stowage. We need a Phalanx like system

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Any news on Varunastra induction ? Already in-service ? Or undergoing trials ?

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@binayak95 ji
I have 2 doubts if u feel to answer then pls
1)whats the difference between kamorta class asw frigates and other indigenous destroyers or frigates bcoz as far as I Googled I found most of its sensors are present in our destroyers or frigates and weapon load is nothing different it has only rbu-600 and torpedo tubes which is no different from others
Then what was its requirement
2)recently ditched naval dhruv can be operated again after repairing

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Any news on Varunastra induction ? Already in-service ? Or undergoing trials ?
BDL had recieved a contract worth $150 million to produce 63 Varunastra torpedoes in June 2019, the contract stipulated deliveries with 42 months of contract signing.

As per another report, 73 Varunastra torpedoes were ordered in June 2016 for a cost of $132 million.

Last edited:

binayak95

Country flag
@binayak95 ji
I have 2 doubts if u feel to answer then pls
1)whats the difference between kamorta class asw frigates and other indigenous destroyers or frigates bcoz as far as I Googled I found most of its sensors are present in our destroyers or frigates and weapon load is nothing different it has only rbu-600 and torpedo tubes which is no different from others
Then what was its requirement
2)recently ditched naval dhruv can be operated again after repairing
The Kamortas are in essence a single role ship while our frigates and destroyers are multi role. Ergo, the Kamortas are cheaper and far better at the specific task of sub hunting then Shivaliks and Kolkatas and Talwars.

Because of the mission specificness of the Kamortas, the design is built around sub hunting, and includes features such as extremely low sound signature, low crew size and automation, and other mission specific enhancements I cant go over here. (composite superstructure, for one)

So in essence a platform that excels at sub hunting, is cheaper than a frigate and yet, has the latter's endurance.

the naval ALH - nahi maalum. Theoretically yes.

shade

Country flag
The industrial part of this never made sense to me. Overtly they said this deal will help build up GSL’s capacity and give india another yard capable of making PSC but

1) the IN is already unwilling to give existing private (L&T) yards contracts for PSC so capacity is already being wasted
2) why could GSL not be contracted to build 2-4 P17A? What was the imperative for it to be a foreign frigate built locally?

11356 and the FSS tie up with Turkish entities has only ever stunk
:shock: Turks are involved in building frigates now? I thought they were only for that one class of refueling ships, was sad to know that they are involved even today

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
:shock: Turks are involved in building frigates now? I thought they were only for that one class of refueling ships, was sad to know that they are involved even today
Nah the three Russian Grigorovich-class frigates are at Yantar shipyard.

shade

Country flag
btw anyone know whats the latest on the plan to build those helicopter carriers( Landing platform dock )? last update on wiki is from 2020 and from news sites is of 2021.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles