Indian Army T- 90 (Bhishma) and T- 72 (M-1) Tanks

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
Kanchan armour is not that great as it is advertised from what i heard. Indian army is more satisfied with T 90S composite armour with it's improved reflective plates than Kanchan on bhishma.
Then make armour thicker but add extra plate of armour

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
And then the transmission set gives in after running for 5 kms.
But aren't they upgrading it with a new engine .
But extra protection is needed and if they can add a auxiliary power unit , if it's a thing than it would be very nice .
I dont understand , east european countries can upgrade to such high standards, but why cant we .

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
But aren't they upgrading it with a new engine .
Yeah, with a 1000 bhp one. But without replacing the current transmission sets with newer ones, those upgrades proposed by you wouldn't be feasible at all.
But extra protection is needed and if they can add a auxiliary power unit , if it's a thing than it would be very nice .
The time for T-72M1 is gone, they should have been put to the grave like 10 years ago. But if you must upgrade them, then in my personal opinion, the Army should go with the Tank Ex project, with a smoothbore gun.
I dont understand , east european countries can upgrade to such high standards, but why cant we .
because it's not a priority.

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
Yeah, with a 1000 bhp one. But without replacing the current transmission sets with newer ones, those upgrades proposed by you wouldn't be feasible at all.

The time for T-72M1 is gone, they should have been put to the grave like 10 years ago. But if you must upgrade them, then in my personal opinion, the Army should go with the Tank Ex project, with a smoothbore gun.

IAM not counting on the best case scenario.
That army would upgrade tankex .

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag

Then what is our priority?

Swiftfarts

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@Bleh @ArgonPrime @shuvo@y2k10 what are the chances that 464 T90S coming to india have upgraded autoloader for new APFSDS svinets 2. Indian army was interested in it after all.

EQLMpKJUcAUXzVm.jpeg

improved svinet 1 and 2 have been in serial production since 2016. Svinet 1 probably is not for export since it's a DU round but svinets 2 is. latest of these 464 T 90S ordered are for Chinese border after all. seriously what are the odds ?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
@Bleh @ArgonPrime @shuvo@y2k10 what are the chances that 464 T90S coming to india have upgraded autoloader for new APFSDS svinets 2. Indian army was interested in it after all.

View attachment 62370

improved svinet 1 and 2 have been in serial production since 2016. Svinet 1 probably is not for export since it's a DU round but svinets 2 is. latest of these 464 T 90S ordered are for Chinese border after all. seriously what are the odds ?
None whatsoever... That'd require considerable alterations of the hull-carousel, autoloader & new gun.

No single upgrade I have found about. The same 20-year-old Bhishma are being bought again.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
None whatsoever... That'd require considerable alterations of the hull-carousel, autoloader & new gun.

No single upgrade I have found about. The same 20-year-old Bhishma are being bought again.
At this point, it seems like it would be better to just get rid of the carousel and go for manual loading, that way, at least it would enable the tanks to use longer KE pens.

Swiftfarts

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

No it doesn't require new gun but only autoloader. Here see.

kghYli_KMcQ.jpg.03ff241704df9134329c912da2bf7d8d.jpg

It's same 2A46M gun but mentioned specifically that only autoloader upgrade is needed. If you look closely dimension are not much different from upgraded new Mango M APFSDS compared to older 3BM42.
I have a big hunch that new 464 T 90S have a new autoloader.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
@Swiftfarts I meant for the T-72s... Both has lol protection, but Ajeya Mark2 are actually lighter, faster & with a more reliable engine (Army didn't want T-90 engine on it).

Seems like MOD and armoured corps is full of retards.
Or, more likely, worse...
They could be prioritising the bolstering of numbers though. Possibly they'll later go for an MLU of existing 2000-odd T-90s & some 900+ T-72s.

Introducing any changes would increase import content (the new tech) & require the assembly lines to adapt from the the ones that can be manufactured in India at present setup. No indication of any such thing happening.

At this point, it seems like it would be better to just get rid of the carousel and go for manual loading,
At this point, truth be told, the way future is pretty fucked. Any attempt to convert the 120mm gun to smoothbore with long rods, should have been made a decade ago. Now both the Arjun & T-XX options have fallen behind.

What you say is basically the TankEx way India should have gone, instead of further T-90 orders & fully concentrated on improving it... That actually convinces one that Armoured Corps has the deeped rooted sellout DALALs in all the forces.
They had their 50ton 4-crew wet dream tank right in front of them & smoothly pretend to not notice!

Last edited:

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Or, more likely, worse... Introducing such changes would increase import content (the new shit) & require the assembly lines to adapt from the the ones that can be manufactured at present setup.

They could be prioritising the bolstering of numbers though. Possibly they'll later go for an MLU of existing 2000-odd T-90s & some 900+ T-72

At this point, truth be told, the way future is pretty fucked. Any attempt to convert the 120mm gun to smoothbore with long rods, should have been made a decade ago. Now both the Arjun & T-XX options have become subpar.

What you say is basically the TankEx way at should have gone instead of further T-90 orders & fully concentrate on improving it... That actually convinces one that Armoured Corps had the deeped rooted sellout DALALs in all the forces.
They had their 50ton 4-crew wet dream option right in front of them & smoothly pretend to not notice!
Ya'll Nibbiars we need a Tank Mafia in the Armoured Crops. :cool1:

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
At this point, truth be told, the way future is pretty fucked. Any attempt to convert the 120mm gun to smoothbore with long rods, should have been made a decade ago. Now both the Arjun & T-XX options have fallen behind.

What you say is basically the TankEx way India should have gone, instead of further T-90 orders & fully concentrated on improving it... That actually convinces one that Armoured Corps has the deeped rooted sellout DALALs in all the forces.
They had their 50ton 4-crew wet dream tank right in front of them & smoothly pretend to not notice!
Yeah, talk about utter lack of imagination, foresight, and basic common sense. Combine this triple whammy and you'll get the MOD + IA top brass.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles