Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

SKC

Country flag

'Indian army scraping 726i due to heavy Recoil"

Like they didn't knew the Recoil of 7.62 * 51 beforehand.

Man even this deal turned out to be a scam 🤣. Please forgive my language but sometimes I think that procurement and planning in india army is done by jokers generals
To OFB ki ammo ban karo reject karo!
The only good rifle we had.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
This is what he says
That round does fine when fired from SLR and Bren. If that does damage to Sigs then its not the fault of Sigs. Instead of scrapping or blaming sigs we should make rounds compatible with the weapon, yes for that you need seperate assembly line. Its the only way forward. The same issue happens with 9mm round when fired from Mp-5.iirc same is the case with M-4s too( i think i heard it somewhere not sure). Sigs are top notch weapon makers they wont make faulty weapons for some extra peanuts at the cost of their reputation.

SGOperative

Country flag
That round does fine when fired from SLR and Bren. If that does damage to Sigs then its not the fault of Sigs. Instead of scrapping or blaming sigs we should make rounds compatible with the weapon, yes for that you need seperate assembly line. Its the only way forward. The same issue happens with 9mm round when fired from Mp-5.iirc same is the case with M-4s too( i think i heard it somewhere not sure). Sigs are top notch weapon makers they wont make faulty weapons for some extra peanuts at the cost of their reputation.
Could it be a Quality Control Issue from OFB? Heard there ammo comes in all sizes for the Same Category

abingdonboy

Country flag
Ofc OFB quality bullets will degrade the performance of any gun. We still import 5.56mm ammo used in Tavors because it can't handle OFB quality ammunition.
Suspicious when OFB ammo is exported to the US and reviews are positive of it

Nothing is good enough for the IA, remember early on when their soldier were almost falling over from recoil of 716? Then they started to do proper stances and recoil almost eliminated in after videos

Methinks they are trying to blame their weaknesses in training on equipment

So AK203 is going to solve all their woes is it? 7.62*39 spray and pray on the LAC and LOC? What a bunch of clowns

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
SiG Sauer made a loss with the previous sales as it expected a follow on order, and hence quoted a much higher price per rifle for the 2nd batch, MoD wasn’t willing to buy them for that much money so they decided to stay with the 72400 only. But our small arms situation is indeed alarming, no 2nd batch of Battle Rifles, AK-203 in limbo post Russian invasion of Ukraine and Carbine deal is stuck as well. Wonder what army is upto.
Easy solution would be to tell SSS to make their 7.62 gun cross compatible with Sig mags.

Flying Dagger

Country flag

'Indian army scraping 726i due to heavy Recoil"

Like they didn't knew the Recoil of 7.62 * 51 beforehand.

Man even this deal turned out to be a scam 🤣. Please forgive my language but sometimes I think that procurement and planning in india army is done by jokers generals
Read line second flaw using locally made round which was meant for LMG. I have mentioned the same before.

Obviously recoil will be higher apart from other issues that will emerge that include higher price from before asked by Sig.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Suspicious when OFB ammo is exported to the US and reviews are positive of it

Nothing is good enough for the IA, remember early on when their soldier were almost falling over from recoil of 716? Then they started to do proper stances and recoil almost eliminated in after videos

Methinks they are trying to blame their weaknesses in training on equipment

So AK203 is going to solve all their woes is it? 7.62*39 spray and pray on the LAC and LOC? What a bunch of clowns
Article could be wrong, entire media was crying about hydraulic drives in ATAGS when that was never an issue.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
SiG Sauer made a loss with the previous sales as it expected a follow on order, and hence quoted a much higher price per rifle for the 2nd batch, MoD wasn’t willing to buy them for that much money so they decided to stay with the 72400 only. But our small arms situation is indeed alarming, no 2nd batch of Battle Rifles, AK-203 in limbo post Russian invasion of Ukraine and Carbine deal is stuck as well. Wonder what army is upto.
Their was no loss but margin were less and yes they did quoted higher price from before because price won't be same after 2-3 years.

The Shrike

Country flag
"These bulges ensued after a round failed to exit the rifle upon firing and then the follow-on round built up tremendous pressure due to the constricted air inside the barrel, causing it, in turn, to either develop a bulge, cracks or even lead to it exploding altogether."
How does this actually happen?

vampyrbladez

Country flag
"These bulges ensued after a round failed to exit the rifle upon firing and then the follow-on round built up tremendous pressure due to the constricted air inside the barrel, causing it, in turn, to either develop a bulge, cracks or even lead to it exploding altogether."
Too much powder in the bullet. Leading to dirty crimped rounds that cause excess barrel pressure.

In semi auto not as much of an issue but in full auto makes a massive difference.

SGOperative

Country flag

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Meanwhile, in a parallel move the MoD also included assault rifles in its 310-strong list of military items that India will no longer import, but source domestically. Accordingly, it had issued licenses to five local defence contractors like Adani Defence (Ahmedabad), SSS Defence (Bangalore), Jindal Defence (Delhi) and Optic Electronic India (Noida) to produce assault rifles by entering into collaborative ventures with overseas original equipment manufacturers, further precluding all further Sig Sauer imports.

As it stands now :

Adani Defence - IWI
Jindal Defence - Taurus
SSS - MDT + US accessories
Optic Electronic India - OFB

vampyrbladez

Country flag

Gairo me kaha itni takat thi. Hame toh hamare apno ne loota.

Vayuputra

Country flag
Hehe great news of today , iam glad this deal was cancelled.
Now induct ofb r2 in numbers and standardize the bloody calibre
Well this is the only option left for ay if they have supplant insas with new rifle on urgent basis otherwise I don't see any future for iof made rifle with the army, In my opinion we must stick to ar platform weapon, we can shop for new rifle

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Sigs are top notch weapon makers they wont make faulty weapons for some extra peanuts at the cost of their reputation.
Sir your faith in SIG is firm but you might want to read about how SIG Sauer's P320 pistols replacing Beretta M9 in the US Armed Forces were going bang bang on their own even with slightest of impact on them, they jokingly started calling it ;grenade pistol; due to that,
SIG had to recall many and do extensive fixup on them only then situation became normal.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles