Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Meanwhile, in a parallel move the MoD also included assault rifles in its 310-strong list of military items that India will no longer import, but source domestically. Accordingly, it had issued licenses to five local defence contractors like Adani Defence (Ahmedabad), SSS Defence (Bangalore), Jindal Defence (Delhi) and Optic Electronic India (Noida) to produce assault rifles by entering into collaborative ventures with overseas original equipment manufacturers, further precluding all further Sig Sauer imports.

As it stands now :

Adani Defence - IWI
Jindal Defence - Taurus
SSS - MDT + US accessories
Optic Electronic India - OFB
Possible long term alternatives.

Galil ACE 7 and Tavor 7 - PLR/IWI - Adani Defence

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
That round does fine when fired from SLR and Bren. If that does damage to Sigs then its not the fault of Sigs. Instead of scrapping or blaming sigs we should make rounds compatible with the weapon, yes for that you need seperate assembly line. Its the only way forward. The same issue happens with 9mm round when fired from Mp-5.iirc same is the case with M-4s too( i think i heard it somewhere not sure). Sigs are top notch weapon makers they wont make faulty weapons for some extra peanuts at the cost of their reputation.
even if current 7.62 NATO rounds are optimised for sig, if IA chooses a different weapon later for this calibre, the ammo needs to be re-calibrated for the new weapon system again.

it's better IA drops this piece meal approach, have a relook at the 7.62 nato weapon as a whole along with ammo. until then buy imported ammo to keep these existing inventory functional.

right now sig-716 is the only small arms in 7.62 NATO with regular infantry, SCAR-H is another, but that's probably only for SF.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
reminder,
this short stroke gas piston AR was in competition back then, originally from amreeka by UWS (Unified Weapons System) in partnership with Tonbo imaging for providing optics,
they provided these thigns to Peruvian army in both 5.56 NATO and 7.62 NATO,

UCR (Unified Combat Rifle) 7.62 X 51 mm NATO

One of the contenders for this program. UWS with Tonbo Imaging have won a assault rifle program for the Peruvian army. It will run for the new Indian one as well.

http://tech.economictimes.indiatime...llion-export-deal-with-peruvian-army/54795667
1651688898858.png

1651688935607.png

1651688954875.png

1651688971506.png

back then this didn't happen and after loooong time we got SIG716i out of nowhere (i was told by a very trusted friend 🔨 🦈 that they were going ahead with Tavor-7 before SIG thing even made its breakthrough), and now this happening here with SIG716i ... 🤷‍♂️

at this point i am just going to say it as Karma

1651688953827.png

abingdonboy

Country flag
Meanwhile, in a parallel move the MoD also included assault rifles in its 310-strong list of military items that India will no longer import, but source domestically. Accordingly, it had issued licenses to five local defence contractors like Adani Defence (Ahmedabad), SSS Defence (Bangalore), Jindal Defence (Delhi) and Optic Electronic India (Noida) to produce assault rifles by entering into collaborative ventures with overseas original equipment manufacturers, further precluding all further Sig Sauer imports.

As it stands now :

Adani Defence - IWI
Jindal Defence - Taurus
SSS - MDT + US accessories
Optic Electronic India - OFB
We all know where this is going

AK-203 junk (which itself will be made by the same OFB that they claim can’t make ammo!)

Meanwhile PLA are downsizing so they can modernise, mechanise and create mammoth aviation brigades

Days like today almost make me want to see a humiliating defeat at the border, Delhi clowns don’t seem to realise the Chinese are not the Pakis who will wave the white flag the moment their generals realise they haven’t got the domestic support. When they strike they mean to win and they have specific targets in mind.

but that would be unfair to all the low level soldiers that would suffer because of the clueless sold out idiots in Delhi

Spadex

Country flag
Few uneducated questions from uninformed fellow :-

1) Why didn't they use indian ammo during testing itself when we were going to use it at home

2) why didn't it goes through the extensive testing cycle whic Indian army is famous for, not a single video/picture is available of jawan testing those Rifle before induction.

3) why the IA always tries to do jugaad, buying a battle Rifle but not scope (released an RFI which will take a million years to produce results), using a higher residue round in a DI Rifle and more.

Isn't soldiers life depends on his weapon and doing untested jugaad will decrease his chances in war.

4) army is equally responsible for their insas Fiasco, they hate DESI weapon but they still tried to desify a phoren weapon,. Why didn't they understand that phoren maal are not made to do Jugaad.

You either go all Indian or all foreign instead of this mix and match

Last edited:

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
LMAO. Apparently you can support the organisation because of whom we loose many potent soldiers
This is from time when QC was not with OFB, and the raw material given to them was all sorts of faulty. Post the QC being given to OFB, quality much better.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Few uneducated questions from uninformed fellow :-

1) Why didn't they use indian ammo during testing itself when we were going to use it.

2) why didn't it goes through the extensive testing cycle whic is Indian army is famous for, not a single video/picture is available of jawan testing those Rifle before induction.

3) why the IA always tries to do jugaad, buying a battle Rifle but not scope (released an RFI which will take a million years to produce results), using a higher residue round in a DI Rifle and more.

Isn't soldiers life depends on his weapon and doing untested jugaad will decrease his chances in war.

4) army is equally responsible for their insas Fiasco, they hate DESI weapon but they still tried to desify a phoren weapon,. Why didn't they understand that phoren maal are not made to do Jugaad.

You either go all Indian or all foreign instead of this mix and match
a few can be answered.

- it was an emergency purchase and it was COTS.
- reason for buying scope/accessories separately is because in previous occasions when tender was a combined one (rifle + scope), if rifle was good and scope supplied by OEM was not good, it had to be rejected.
- there is a chance that original ammo was not re-ordered is because there was an ammo shortage in U.S last year. ammo prices sky rocketed for a few months.

abingdonboy

Country flag
"Positive Reviews"
I saw one video (now private) that reviewed OFB ammo and said it was mil spec and had no issues asp apparently Indian ammo is in high demand in the US market because it is cheap ah decent quality but there’s limitations because the US distributor has to buy direct from OFB who won’t sell unless it’s by the millions of rounds

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I saw one video (now private) that reviewed OFB ammo and said it was mil spec and had no issues asp apparently Indian ammo is in high demand in the US market because it is cheap ah decent quality but there’s limitations because the US distributor has to buy direct from OFB who won’t sell unless it’s by the millions of rounds
there was an ammo shortage in US last year, is it over now?

SGOperative

Country flag
Doesnt that proves the point even more about their inconsistency? Also i guess i have linked the CAG report somewhere too.

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
We all know where this is going

AK-203 junk (which itself will be made by the same OFB that they claim can’t make ammo!)

Meanwhile PLA are downsizing so they can modernise, mechanise and create mammoth aviation brigades

Days like today almost make me want to see a humiliating defeat at the border, Delhi clowns don’t seem to realise the Chinese are not the Pakis who will wave the white flag the moment their generals realise they haven’t got the domestic support. When they strike they mean to win and they have specific targets in mind.

but that would be unfair to all the low level soldiers that would suffer because of the clueless sold out idiots in Delhi
That's why I always say China is increasing its power manifold times
They always have habit of gaining epitome supremacy over their adversary and then fight for confirm victory
So thinking that we will have any chance of fighting and even winning a single battle against them will be stupidity
We will have no advantage over them except terrain and logistics in few areas

abingdonboy

Country flag
That's why I always say China is increasing its power manifold times
They always have habit of gaining epitome supremacy over their adversary and then fight for confirm victory
So thinking that we will have any chance of fighting and even winning a single battle against them will be stupidity
We will have no advantage over them except terrain and logistics in few areas
China is leagues ahead of India in hard power, that much is clear. But instead of realising this and buildijg on India’s natural defensive advantage these clowns are actively undermining even the basics

this thread is about modernisation, what has actually changed in the last 10+ years? Some new PPE? What about new IFV? Arty? SDRs and enhanced C&C?

one of the few significant steps they took(brand new rifles) now actively being disparaged

It’s going to have to take a catastrophe to wake up some

abingdonboy

Country flag
Doesnt that proves the point even more about their inconsistency? Also i guess i have linked the CAG report somewhere too.
Frankly I don’t trust CAG reports for such things, they are created by bureaucrats and auditors not independent defence analysts with expert knowledge, IA can misrepresent and obfuscate plenty to hide their systemic issues. M777 barrel burst because of faulty OFB ammo (apparently) and nothing happens, same thing happens to ATAGS and they have to conduct an examination of the entire design and send it to reconfirmtory trails

The only thing I trust is that some guys at the top are getting very ‘fat’ from all this

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
After the new PSUs being formed?

OFB's side of story, good read.

And the relevant part :-

"
There has been a decrease in the number of accidents since 2005-06, when the responsibility for inspection of input material was given to the OFB. Since 2013, it added, it instituted a new random sample-based check mechanism on freshly manufactured ammunition batches, in addition to the established procedure followed by the DGQA.

"

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles