Indian Army: News and Discussion

Blood+

Country flag
As far as i know these days infantry section is 10 man with 6 man rifle(one with UBGL) and 4 man support group(2 men on carl gustav, further negev 7 LMG with gunner and ammo carrier assistant).
As far as I've read, the break down goes like this (according to this NDTV article):
2 X LMG gunners with either Bren or INSAS LMGs (now being replaced), as far as my understanding goes, LMGs/ SAWs are considered personal weapons and hence not assigned a designated ammo carrier. The gunners will typically have 500 rounds on them, while 700–900 rounds are distributed among the other members of the squad. In all, 1200–1400 rounds per section are carried.
1 or 2 X RCL gunners
6 or 7 X Rifle Men (1 or 2 of these men will be equipped with an UBGL)
But if there's one GPMG assigned to each squad, then that will add two more men to each squad.

Not sure if dragunov's are standardized on a section basis,but each battalion has 10 sniper rifles assigned
Not sure if with the introduction of SAKO if dragunov is still considered sniper rifle.
I'm not sure Dragunovs were ever considered sniper rifles. The Sako TRGs and Beretta Scorpio TGTs are for replacing or supplementing the Mauser SP66 and H&K PSG-1 sniper rifles.

Generally 40 LMGs per battalion,with 36 in infantry sections and 4 probably in HQ sections .Have heard that battalions in the plains are given 80 LMG or 2 LMG per section,can't confirm though.
Nah, it's two LMGs per section across the Army, so about 80 LMGs per battalion.

binayak95

Country flag
As far as I've read, the break down goes like this (according to this NDTV article):
2 X LMG gunners with either Bren or INSAS LMGs (now being replaced), as far as my understanding goes, LMGs/ SAWs are considered personal weapons and hence not assigned a designated ammo carrier. The gunners will typically have 500 rounds on them, while 700–900 rounds are distributed among the other members of the squad. In all, 1200–1400 rounds per section are carried.
1 or 2 X RCL gunners
6 or 7 X Rifle Men (1 or 2 of these men will be equipped with an UBGL)
But if there's one GPMG assigned to each squad, then that will add two more men to each squad.

I'm not sure Dragunovs were ever considered sniper rifles. The Sako TRGs and Beretta Scorpio TGTs are for replacing or supplementing the Mauser SP66 and H&K PSG-1 sniper rifles.

Nah, it's two LMGs per section across the Army, so about 80 LMGs per battalion.
Dragunovs were issued in an ad hoc manner, and yeas, they're DMRs not snipers.

Funny thing, IA stopped sniper training for decades

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I see, may have missed that one. Anyway, they do have a marksmanship course in Infantry School, Mhow but I'm not sure if that qualifies as a sniper school.
No last year I remember sniper course was launched there were multiple tweets

Blademaster

Dragunovs were issued in an ad hoc manner, and yeas, they're DMRs not snipers.

Funny thing, IA stopped sniper training for decades
Extremely short sighted and penny wise pound foolish decision. Snipers are basically force multipliers in combat.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag

I'm guessing that frontliners will soon be using the new uniform this year
When they would never let a unit wear the old fibreglass helmets without the helmet cover, why do they let them wear the MKU helmet without any helmet cover? It's an all too common sight. Are there any utilitarian reasons why some units would prefer it without a cover?

Sayman Ame

Country flag

Fun read. Goodest boi among bad bois.

ezgif-1-145b72e1a7.jpg

Formally attired in a short woolen cape in green and yellow, the Kumaon colours, embroidered with the regimental crest in gold thread, Havildar SATVIR, has been receiving the Commanding Officers of 7 Kumao n every morning for nearly 60 years.
. This handsome mountain goat is their regiment al mascot, who participates in all ceremonial functions, receives the Commanding Officer every morning with a salute and a handshake and accompanies the unit and all its moves across the country, taking the special military train with the soldiers and officers.
The story goes that in the year 1963, a LongRange Patrol (LRP) of the unit was followed by a white mountain go at all the way back to the unit location. He was adopted by the unit and named SATVIR

NotASussyBoi

Country flag
When they would never let a unit wear the old fibreglass helmets without the helmet cover, why do they let them wear the MKU helmet without any helmet cover? It's an all too common sight. Are there any utilitarian reasons why some units would prefer it without a cover?
Only logical answer is that there is a lack of helmet covers

nixin

In view of expansion of cyber warfare capabilities of adversaries & requirements of greyzone as well as conventional warfare, Army Commanders’ Conference decided to operationalise the Command Cyber Operations and Support Wings (CCOSWs) which are being raised. These organisations will assist the formations to undertake the mandated cyber security functions to strengthen the cyber security posture of the Indian Army: Government sources

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles