Indian Army: News and Discussion

AnantS

Country flag
how can they fight against wind driven drift? I can't fly my drone that high due to loss of control against wind.
helpful in confined spaces, dense populated areas, where tall trees or buildings regulates/slow down winds

thebakofbakchod

Is the indian military trying its best to break all records in the number of killed soldiers during peacetime? Not 1 days goes by without jawans dying from road accidents, fratricide, ammunition related accidents etc

rkhanna

Country flag

Is the indian military trying its best to break all records in the number of killed soldiers during peacetime? Not 1 days goes by without jawans dying from road accidents, fratricide, ammunition related accidents etc
News coming that possible grenade attack?

mokoman

Country flag
looks like we had intel inputs .

Blood+

Country flag
Does anyone here have any idea as to how many GPMGs are typically assigned to an infantry platoon in the Indian Army??
For example, each regular US Army platoon has a weapon squad attached with two M240B GPMGs. But from what little information I could gather about the Indian Army, it's a single 'MMG platoon' attached to a battalion with eight MAG-58s between them, which seems to be a criminally low figure in my uninformed opinion.
Anyone?? @binayak95

Blackmamba

Country flag
Does anyone here have any idea as to how many GPMGs are typically assigned to an infantry platoon in the Indian Army??
For example, each regular US Army platoon has a weapon squad attached with two M240B GPMGs. But from what little information I could gather about the Indian Army, it's a single 'MMG platoon' attached to a battalion with eight MAG-58s between them, which seems to be a criminally low figure in my uninformed opinion.
Anyone?? @binayak95
Infantry battalion support weapon according to NCC

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Anyone?? @binayak95
I may be totally wrong but we still pretty much go with the British structure

One MAG per rifle section
3 - 5 rifle section per platoon

But no matter how accurate my info is, you're right, we don't have sufficient machine guns

Blood+

Country flag
I may be totally wrong but we still pretty much go with the British structure

One MAG per rifle section
3 - 5 rifle section per platoon
Really?? Well, that's a relief.
But no matter how accurate my info is, you're right, we don't have sufficient machine guns
Nah, if what you say is true, then the Indian Army would be fielding significantly more number of GMPGs than even the US Army, cause they usually have only 2 per platoon.

Blood+

Country flag
Infantry battalion support weapon according to NCC
Yeah, I had come across that clip during my research, but he didn't mention anything about GPMGs. And number of LMGs also appears to be off or based on outdated information, as the authorized number is two LMGs per infantry section as per this following NDTV report -

So, going by that logic, a company alone should have close to 40 pieces of LMGs!!

Last edited:

Blood+

Country flag
Also, he mentioned in another of his videos that each infantry company is issued with only a single piece of MMG!! What??!!

I don't think I can trust his knowledge. And if his information indeed happens to be the correct one, then I don't know what to say. It'd be beyond appalling.

PS - I'm using the terms 'MMG' and 'GPMG' interchangeably in case anyone's been wondering.

Last edited:

binayak95

Country flag
Anyone?? @binayak95
We have become flexible as far as I can tell. One per section is the standard, but its quite common to have a heavy weapons section per platoon that concentrates all MMGs and Carl Gustavs as and when needed.

binayak95

Country flag
Also, he mentioned in another of his videos that each infantry company is issued with only a single piece of MMG!! What??!!

I don't think I can trust his knowledge. And if his information indeed happens to be the correct one, then I don't know what to say. It'd be beyond appalling.

PS - I'm using the terms 'MMG' and 'GPMG' interchangeably in case anyone's been wondering.
MMG is the same as GMPG. And no, we dont have one GPMG per company at all. Its per section.

Blood+

Country flag
MMG is the same as GMPG. And no, we dont have one GPMG per company at all. It's per section.
That's great to know. So, 12 men per section now a days assuming 2 extra soldiers for manning the MAG or it's still 10??

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
As far as i know these days infantry section is 10 man with 6 man rifle(one with UBGL) and 4 man support group(2 men on carl gustav, further negev 7 LMG with gunner and ammo carrier assistant).
Not sure if dragunov's are standardized on a section basis,but each battalion has 10 sniper rifles assigned.Not sure if with the introduction of SAKO if dragunov is still considered sniper rifle.
Battalions have 4 infantry companies plus weapons company and HQ company and a battalion HQ.Numbers around 800-850.
Generally 40 LMGs per battalion,with 36 in infantry sections and 4 probably in HQ sections .Have heard that battalions in the plains are given 80 LMG or 2 LMG per section,can't confirm though.
Mechanized infantry have 7 man sections plus BMP crew of 3 in fire support role.4+3 breakup into 4 rifles,2 man rocket launcher and 1 lmg.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles